Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
The tanks last less than a year? Dang I think I'd have to do something about that water--rental or no. Filtration isn't what you need, does your system include a pH neutralizer?
It's not a big problem because the tenants dissolve after a year anyway...
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Come to think of it....the only Lowe's coupon I've ever seen was in the Post Office "change of address" kit. We got quite a few when the kids were moving in and out of the dorm. I think it was 10% but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. Where are folks getting these Lowe's coupons and what are the terms?
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #23

Quote:
does your system include a pH neutralizer?
n10 is a ph neutralizer ... the elements used to last 3 MONTHS prior to the n10 system. The tenants use bottled water for drinking (even thou all federal standards are being met).
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
n10 is a ph neutralizer ... the elements used to last 3 MONTHS prior to the n10 system. The tenants use bottled water for drinking (even thou all federal standards are being met).
So is it the elements that go after a year, or the whole tank?

Elements are pretty cheap and a fairly easy DIY repair, and with two elements it doesn't quite turn into an emergency overnight, you have reduced hot water/recovery, but you still get hot water.

If it's the whole tank, man, I'd sure want to find a solution, I've never heard of tanks regularly going out that fast. Even the cheap ones have 6 year warranties (though you still have labor) - maybe warranties don't cover rental/commercial? I would think they'd be questioning repeated replacements like that. Sounds strange.

edit/add: What is an N10 system? Googling pretty much came up blank, other than maybe some references to nitrogen/nitrate/nitrite levels?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #25

Like 'JoeWras', I go to the one that has pissed me off less recently, hehe.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #26

Quote:

So is it the elements that go after a year, or the whole tank?

Elements are pretty cheap and a fairly easy DIY repair, and with two elements it doesn't quite turn into an emergency overnight, you have reduced hot water/recovery, but you still get hot water.

If it's the whole tank, man, I'd sure want to find a solution, I've never heard of tanks regularly going out that fast. Even the cheap ones have 6 year warranties (though you still have labor) - maybe warranties don't cover rental/commercial? I would think they'd be questioning repeated replacements like that. Sounds strange.

edit/add: What is an N10 system? Googling pretty much came up blank, other than maybe some references to nitrogen/nitrate/nitrite levels?
Without the neutralizer the elements would rot every 3 months. So I stocked up on lime resistant (sanddog is one brand) elements and swapped them while the tank was new/empty. That solved the element problem ... then the cheap (6 year) tanks started rotting any place there was a joint (2 different metals) in less than a year. The neutralizer allows the 12 year tanks to hold up 3 years (n'counting). The one I just swapped was a 6 year lank ... I swapped it with a 12 year (paying HD only the difference ~$150).

The neutralizer needs media (N-10) added every 3-4 months. I've been pretty good about it; but in the winter, access to the system can limited (snowed in).

Sadly voters rejected a plan to bring town water to this area. So everyone continues to try to filter out usable water.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The neutralizer needs media (N-10) added every 3-4 months. I've been pretty good about it; but in the winter, access to the system can limited (snowed in).
Do you know what the pH of the water is after it has been through the neutralizer? It sure doesn't sound like it is doing the job at the present settings.
The WH replacements are a PITA, but I'd be more worried about anything else in the plumbing system that is susceptible to acidic attack. A water heater replacement will seem like small change compared to tearing into a tiled wall to fix a leaky fitting. Then there's the dishwasher, any icemakers, faucets, etc, etc.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have both a Home Depot and a Lowe's within 2.5 miles of me (and within a mile of each other). Over the years, I've found that not only is HD's price at least a little better 90% of the time, but they give me my military discount with zero hassle. Lowe's will give it to me too, but I have to spend an extra five minutes while the cashier gets a manager to show up and authorize it.

The other issue is that everyone at my HD is always friendly and helpful, while the staff at Lowe's is not only very scarce, but not the least interested in helping customers.

Based on my (limited) experience, I would say that HD can get by very nicely without honoring their competitor's coupons. My HD is always busy, but the Lowe's typically has less than ¼ of HD's traffic.
+1 on the military discount. Been a vet for 10yrs now and I rarely take advantage of that.
kgtest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... The neutralizer allows the 12 year tanks to hold up 3 years (n'counting). The one I just swapped was a 6 year lank ... I swapped it with a 12 year (paying HD only the difference ~$150).

The neutralizer needs media (N-10) added every 3-4 months. I've been pretty good about it; but in the winter, access to the system can limited (snowed in). ...
Still sounds odd to me. I'm with samclem - it the neutralizer actually neutralizing? If so, then you shouldn't have any problems. I'm curious, do you have a link for that thing, N10 still didn't bring up anything on several different searches (other than someone named tryan on some other forum saying the same thing!).

And since electric heaters don't need a heat exchanger (the element is immersed in the water), do they make Fiberglas or any other non-metallic tanks?

You mentioned 'rotting at the joints' - do you have di-electric unions where you need them?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote