Join Early Retirement Today

Home gym equipment?
Old 02-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Home gym equipment?

Was wondering what folks have for home gym equipment?

We have a Peloton (love it), Bosu ball, and a few dumbells so far.
We are pretty active and use them every day.

Now we are looking to splurge on some equipment for upper and whole body ... like a Bowflex Extreme or something similar.
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a set of bowflex select tech dumbbells, an adjustable bench, a pull up bar with heavy-duty bands, a TV, and a set of p90x dvds.

The bands allow me to do pullups beyond failure.

Oh yes, and a weighted vest
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #3

Barbells, plates, squat rack w/pull up bar and safety arms, bench. Some dumbbells.

I think the best thing to do is figure out your specific goals, and then pick the equipment best for them. Otherwise it will become a laundry hanger.

I'm focused on strength hence my current list.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:33 AM   #4

We are looking at core and upper body strength
Not a fan of free weights. Wife is looking at Bowflex Extreme 2.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Bowflex dumbbells & bench, Nordic Track treadmill.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #6

We have a Peloton (also love it) and a Concept 2 rower (which is more total body - love that too). We also have some dumbbells and do some of the strength classes on Peloton, as well as their yoga classes.
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Bowflex dumbbells & bench, Nordic Track treadmill.
We have the same as well as a elliptical which my DW uses extensively since she has a couple of bum knees. We have debated finishing out our room over the garage and making it a little bigger, but not sure we would use it to the maximum extent. It is very nice to have a dedicated space and not have to deal with a public gym.

I like exercising outside and do this as much as I can...weather permitting of course.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We have a WaterRower, Bosu, BowFlex adjustable dumbbells, resistance bands, exercise balls, stationary bike stand (train indoors on your own bike) and a bunch of other small workout items and mats. We had a BowFlex Ultimate and a LifeFitness treadmill - we left them behind when we moved, not as much space now we’re not trapped inside in winter anymore (no need for treadmill). We walk or ride bikes outdoors 4-6 times/week too, we’d rather be outside.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #9

I usually start each day with a spin workout. After that, I often go for long walks or a hike later in the day.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today I used a snow shovel. Does that count? I also have a snowblower and push lawn mower as conditions permit.

For the inside, I have a 30 year old Schwinn Airdyne that is only tolerable with a laptop and a streaming movie. My home gym tends to be the great outdoors. Yesterday I went snow shoeing about two miles.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #11

Stationary bike, hand weights and a flat neighborhood to walk in. Daily workout routine unless golfing; two miles on the bike, ten minutes of weights (upper body) and mile and a half walk. Two meals a day, big breakfast and a light supper. Pretty much keeps me at desired weight of 185# give or take a few pounds either way.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #12
gone traveling

PT just like in the Army. Pushups, sit ups, jumping backs, deep knee bends etc. Do them until can't do them anymore. Works up a great sweat and cost $ - $0.00
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #13

kettlebells, plates based dumbbells with enough plates to get a single one up to 52.5 lbs, yoga mats for stretching, treadmill. TRX around one of the support beams.

DW is researching rowing machines and cage/pulley setups to fit into our new house's garage.

Hilly neighborhood for walks (new neighborhood is a lot flatter). DW put post-it note for me on the stairs in the house "Squat Every Step".
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #14

We have a stationary bike and a treadmill in front of a TV, bikes for outside, running shoes, hiking boots, dumb bells, a bench, some elastic-like cords (like the ones that cost Harry Reid an eye). We used to have a rowing machine but it didnt get used much and we don’t have as much room for it in this house. DW and I prefer running outdoors...we know we should be doing more resistance training, but always get bored with it and find that if there is any disruption to our resistance training routine (like travel) then it gets dropped for months at a time until we pick it up again.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We have different equipment - An elliptical, a stationary bike, a weight bench, a balance ball and a hopper ball (with a handle), a slide board (you skate on it with slippery booties) and an inversion table. DH uses some of them. I use the bike, hopper ball, and inversion table, but not often. My favourite exercise is volleyball, but that's totally out until I get vaccinated. I have been using my slide board a lot lately.

The problem with exercise equipment, at least for me, is that they're all functional but they're all so boring to use. You can't really engage your mind like you do with sports. So you have to find something else to do at the same time, like listening to music or watching TV. Even then, it's not much fun. It makes it slightly more fun to watch a virtual bike ride video on Youtube while riding my stationary bike, but that gets boring really quick as well.

What we've been playing every day is kind of like indoor pickleball. It's fun. We laugh a lot while playing. We're actually getting better at it too. It's our invention really. We use ping pong paddles and hit a badminton shuttlecock back and forth, right in our living room. It's a very good/sometimes intensive exercise once we can get a rally going. And it's cheap equipment-wise! We both play ping pong and badminton so it's an extension of that, I guess? We only do it for maybe 10-15 minutes a day, but it gets my heart pumping pretty hard by the end. I like to target DH in the tummy (his weak spot) and he tries to swing his shots left and right, which makes me move a lot.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Total Gym that is great for upper body exercise and abs.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've been using free weights for decades, plus have a treadmill. There are machines that mimic free weights, some good and some not so good but I've never been a fan of machines. That being said, I'm looking for some resistance bands to take when we travel as access to weights is often limited.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #18

Seems there is a "shortage" of Treadmills. Just noticed online/Amazon.
Asuna, space saving treadmill, 8730G. $699.99.

Never heard of this brand. It does not "ramp" up. Fairly light, 95 lbs.
Folds flat, for under bed storage. Has mostly good rating.

Anyone, have experience with these, low price, simple, no frills, treadmills?
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #19

I have some really old stuff since, until COVID, I had been primarily working out at a gym for years. But I have rediscovered that you can still huff & puff, sweat and make your muscles sore with older equipment:
- dumbbells ranging from 5-40 pounds each (2 of each weight)
- a barbell and a selection of plates
- a weight bench
- a Nordic Track cross-country ski machine (a poor man’s elliptical)
- a piston/shock absorber type rowing machine

My newer equipment is an I-Pad (on which I view and follow cardio, resistance and flexibility workout routines from a site I subscribe to).

Contemplating loosening the purse strings to buy:
- a spin bike (nothing as fancy as a Peloton). I was a 2-3x weekly spinner at the gym and kinda miss it).
- a Concept 2 rowing machine to replace the current rower.
These purchases depend on whether or not I return to the gym post-COVID. I’ve generally been as happy with the home workouts and it’s nice not to have to get in the car and drive to the gym. But I somewhat miss the social interaction there.

Bottom line is I’ll make do either way.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #20

In the mornings I ride a recumbent trike. I also have a recumbent stationary bike when the weather is bad, some dumbbells (5, 10, 15), a selection of elastic resistance bands, and an inversion table. There is a weight limit to what I can do without discomfort so I do a LOT of repetitions.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote