Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good topic. I've never had an inspection AFAIK but I just got renewal docs from Nationwide and they added a note about limiting payment for damages resulting from conditions that they identified as known risks. I assumed a dead tree or something like that. I never thought about the need for an inspection to identify these conditions so I guess I need to read my paperwork again. With the rate of premium increases I have no problem with an exterior inspection. Even after two increases averaging 8 pct/yr we pay about 40 pct less than what State Farm charged us.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I've also had drive-by and walkarounds only. Most of my homes have been garden-variety tract homes so not much that would increase replacement cost compared to other houses in the area. Current one is an architect's original (we have the plans) but our agent insured the previous owner so he probably knew the inside pretty well- it's a small neighborhood. No fancy finishes here, either, although I'm sure the walkaround helped document the addition of the enclosed porch.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I object to having a contractor that I have not personally vetted poking around inside my house, so I am going to deny permission in the future. If the underwriter insists, I will cancel the policy.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I ... If the underwriter insists, I will cancel the policy.
I did exactly that five or ten years ago. I signed with a new company based on a competitive rate. AFTER I signed and paid they sent some bozo out who complained about gutters not being clean, a tree branch rubbing against the house, and a few other idiot things. I was instructed to remedy these problems. Instead, I just cancelled the policy.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #25

I've only had this happen once. It was with one of the big companies (can't recall which one, but I think it was GEICO). They used some underwriter based in California and sent out a local guy to look at the property (outside only). He found a couple of cracks in the concrete driveway, and they ended up telling me it had to be fixed before the policy could be issued and gave me 8 days to have it remedied. It was February, and my driveway was frozen over. I asked them how they expected me to repair the driveway within 8 days with a layer of ice and snow on top of it. They did not have any advice but refused to give me more time to deal with the issue. I switched my policy to a different provider. They did have the lowest rate at the time, but not by much, so I wasn't' going to deal with a bunch of knuckleheads
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I object to having a contractor that I have not personally vetted poking around inside my house, so I am going to deny permission in the future. If the underwriter insists, I will cancel the policy.
Good for you!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #27

Seen it all. An earlier agent we had did a drive by on our lakehouse and determined it was a prime residence. Meanwhile she also failed to neglect our 16 year old for car insurance. All after repeated contact on our part
Incompetent. Typical insurance agent.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I've only had this happen once. It was with one of the big companies (can't recall which one, but I think it was GEICO). They used some underwriter based in California and sent out a local guy to look at the property (outside only). He found a couple of cracks in the concrete driveway, and they ended up telling me it had to be fixed before the policy could be issued and gave me 8 days to have it remedied. It was February, and my driveway was frozen over. I asked them how they expected me to repair the driveway within 8 days with a layer of ice and snow on top of it. They did not have any advice but refused to give me more time to deal with the issue. I switched my policy to a different provider. They did have the lowest rate at the time, but not by much, so I wasn't' going to deal with a bunch of knuckleheads
Cracks? What? Were they a severe tripping hazard? This is crazy! A broken driveway wouldn't be claimable anyway.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote