Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Home insurance inspections
Old 04-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home insurance inspections

The first year I purchased home insurance, there was no inspection by the underwriter AFAIK. The second year, the inspector walked around the house but didn't go inside (the underwriter complained about the empty pool, an issue since resolved). This year, the inspector also poked around inside my house, which I find a tad intrusive.

What's the standard practice in your area (if there is one)?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been homeowners for 35 years.....4 houses. We never had an inspection by any home insurer (and we've had a few) until a couple years ago when we switched to Amica. They told me they would be coming out and doing a "walk-around" at both houses (we now own a rental). They sent us a short list of recommended "improvements" - none were mandatory - but they all made sense to us so we completed them. We've never seen them again after that first year.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

5 houses over 32 years, all with State Farm. Never had an inspection.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

45+ years of home ownership and never had an insurance inspection.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just once with Amica. Guy came out to verify the place was not a burned out hulk, then asked to see the service panel to verify that it had breakers not fuses.

Surly little snot.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Same here.
Once, a couple of homes ago, an insurance rep drove past to get a glimpse of the house but that was the most I've ever heard of.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

A friend of mine had a job for a company that got calls from almost all insurance companies, his job was to do drive by photography so don't be so sure your house has never been checked out.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #8

Once had the insurance agent come out to take exterior pictures. Also remember once getting a business card left by someone from the insurance company.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

State Farm: nothing (except yearly prices raises)

Amica: inspection via Google. Not kidding, really! She looked at the streetview picture and overhead to verify footprint and approximate condition.

A friend at w*rk signed up with Amica and got the same quick walk around and fuse panel inspection. He passed.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I am younger, but with two homes so have a total of 49 home-years of ownership. Never had an inspection.

Once, they called about the high-country boondocks home, and asked about the distance to the closest fire station. Answer: 3 miles. And that was that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

One of the things that you have to think about with the people who say 'no inspection'.... do they really know?

IOW, someone could drive by and check out the house... and you would never know it was 'inspected'....

I know that a house can be inspected without your knowledge as the property tax guy did it with my old house... I was protesting and went before the board... they brought out the inspection to show me how big my house was... I said 'well, I only have a second floor for half the house so you have my house too big'.... the assessor said that did not make a difference but the board disagreed.... however, they 'recommended' that they send someone to come in the house... he did a bad job as he thought that my 'attic' (it was a walk in attic) was a room, but never opened the door .... made him go back upstairs to fix his error...

As for me, no known inspection.... however, my sister has had one and she agreed to let them inside... actually got a lower quote....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:24 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

35+ years of home ownership, in CT, TX and GA. Drive by inspections were common in all three states. Never had any requests for interior access.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:21 PM   #13

I have AAA and last year they started poking around and then raised rates on us.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 AM   #14

When we bought this place some 30 years ago , the Allstate agent did a drive by , and questioned the age of the roof. That was the extent of underwriting on a new customer.

Last year, Allstate sent a letter saying they contracted with a company to inspect our place . Never saw anyone. Maybe they look at google earth and look at claims ( none).

I would expect more of this loss control / tighter underwriting in the future.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

USAA had an inspector request to walk through our home last year, the first time ever. They offered a few suggestions and my bill went up about $350 per year. Apparently the materials to rebuild were the reason since we've upgraded things all by the way.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Home inspections vary by company and the age and value of your home. Some companies feel that it is a waste of money due to the low quality of the inspections they tend to get from the inspection companies. When I was an underwriter many years ago we would get photos of homes where the trees in the photo were blurred because the "inspector" didn't slow down enough to get a good clear photo. Then the inspector would go to the courthouse and pay a dollar for a diagram of the house to avoid having to get out of the car, meet the homeowner, mad dog, neighbor, etc..

An expensive home may be inspected inside and out to verify size, construction quality and any hazards like a pool, trampoline, pets (could be a dog, python, horse, lion, who knows!). These inspections can be very helpful to the homeowner in the event of a claim since the inspection will document that the paneling in the library is imported zebrawood from Tanzania or whatever, marble from Verona, etc. and not just locally sourced common materials. If your home burns, this would be really helpful when it comes time to settle a claim. A common home doesn't need this type of inspection, but a high value home benefits from a complete and thorough inspection.

I have seen inspections of the wrong home on the wrong street, photos of a frame house when the right home was brick, etc. Sometimes the inspections are done to verify that a swimming pool doesn't have a diving board or a trampoline has been removed as claimed by the local agent. A quick drive-by can be all that is needed to spot a run-down dump or verify that a home is desirable to insure and appears to be well maintained.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
An expensive home may be inspected inside and out to verify size, construction quality and any hazards like a pool, trampoline, pets (could be a dog, python, horse, lion, who knows!). These inspections can be very helpful to the homeowner in the event of a claim since the inspection will document that the paneling in the library is imported zebrawood from Tanzania or whatever, marble from Verona, etc. and not just locally sourced common materials. If your home burns, this would be really helpful when it comes time to settle a claim. A common home doesn't need this type of inspection, but a high value home benefits from a complete and thorough inspection.
When we were with Chubb, both our houses were inspected for mostly this reason. They sent a bound book with the results, almost like an appraisal. Don't recall any changes in limits/premium as a result. Current company PURE hired an outside firm to review hurricane code compliance of our coastal condo. They also required us to send pictures of certain loss control items for which we receive discounts (water flow valves, alarms, safes, etc.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We have had Amica for several years, never an inspection (house built in '78). My Dad also has had Amica for several years and no inspections until last year when a contractor came through and did a pretty lengthy inspection (built in '73). They didn't have any recommendations and there was no significant increase in the premium.

Both houses are here in Georgia.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #19
Administrator

Here in Florida there is an effort underway by home insurance companies to limit how much they pay in damages. They claim that in many cases, homes damaged by flood or storm were already in a deteriorated state, so claim amounts should be limited to the cost to restore to the previous, deteriorated state. This is a big deal here, some of the insurers have already modified the policy language to reinforce this. One reason this is public is because the lead insurer is Citizens, the state run insurer of last resort, and the initiative has some support from elected officials.

Our flood policy insurer just sent an inspector, unannounced, and the insurer has not yet complied with my request for a copy of the assessment.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #20

In 35+ years of home ownership no insurance rep ever asked to go inside. I'd expect that they'd at least do a drive-by photo to make sure the place actually existed or as Travelover said make sure it isn't burned down.