Join Early Retirement Today

home made murphy beds
Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

home made murphy beds

Hi Kids,

I think someone who needs more space might be interested in these....

We have a small room (12x12) that was not very functional. With two twin beds and a desk in it. We use the beds two to 3 times a year. We looked at Murphy beds for $1000's... Came across Lori Wall Beds and bought the plans. Sold the twin bed frames for $250 and made the beds for about $300.

They aren't going to win a prize from Better Homes and Gardens but I like em....

beds.jpg

loriwall.jpg

See ya,

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Maybe it's just the kid in me, but I think it's really cool the way the chair between the two beds turns into a HDTV when the beds are folded up. How the heck do you DO that?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was looking at some plans for Murphy beds. They're pretty easy to make, it looks like. But instead we just bought two Aerobeds and a couple of pieces of memory foam. Takes up about 2 cu ft of closet space, and they're really comfortable. I take one with me for camping trips. No more achy back from sleeping on rocky ground on a thin pad. Not much use for backpacking, though.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post
Hi Kids,

I think someone who needs more space might be interested in these....

We have a small room (12x12) that was not very functional. With two twin beds and a desk in it. We use the beds two to 3 times a year. We looked at Murphy beds for $1000's... Came across Lori Wall Beds and bought the plans. Sold the twin bed frames for $250 and made the beds for about $300.

They aren't going to win a prize from Better Homes and Gardens but I like em....

Attachment 12757

Attachment 12758

See ya,

W
Pretty cool, but I'd guess you would not want to display the good china on the shelves, unless of course you have a good supply of velcro.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Maybe 10 years ago, we had a local craftsman build us a Murphy bed from plans and we bought the hardware (gas-filled cylinders, hinges, etc.) and plans on-line and the mahogany veneer plywood locally. We saved a lot of money this way.

It worked great! Our son to this day sleeps in the Murph every night. When we moved, the new owners wanted to buy it.

It is heavy. It takes some skill to build and some muscle to take apart and put together.

Even so, we would do it again.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Right now I have an extra queen sized bed, but if I didn't have room for it then I'd probably get a couple of blow-up beds and a pump. The high ones are reasonably comfortable IMO, especially for just a few days.

However, grandchildren could change that strategy. The Murphy beds would probably work better for kids, who might jump on the bed or puncture a blow-up bed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Those are awesome, Wallygator!

We slept on a very nice murphy bed in a friend's townhouse--the outside was like fine cabinetry, bed was quite comfortable. Murphy beds are just fun:

Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
gone traveling

Nice job!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been trying to convince my wife that we don't need a guest bedroom made up all the time. This might just do the trick!

I would mount a chalkboard/whiteboard to the under carriage.

Good job!

Drew
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice project! I have thought about a murphy bed for a guest bed, but thought the price to purchase was pretty high and didn't know there were plans out there to make them. Not sure I'd want to tackle the project myself though.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Right now I have an extra queen sized bed, but if I didn't have room for it then I'd probably get a couple of blow-up beds and a pump. The high ones are reasonably comfortable IMO, especially for just a few days.

However, grandchildren could change that strategy. The Murphy beds would probably work better for kids, who might jump on the bed or puncture a blow-up bed.
We went with a blow-up bed down south before we had any furniture - worked ok except our cat went bonkers when I made the mistake of adding a bit of air from the on-board pump in the middle of the night. She launched about five feet straight up leaving four sets of little pointy puncture holes two on me and two on the bed.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Nice project! I have thought about a murphy bed for a guest bed, but thought the price to purchase was pretty high and didn't know there were plans out there to make them. Not sure I'd want to tackle the project myself though.
Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments.

Plans can be purchased here.

Horizontal Murphy Bed - DIY Murphy Bed - Murphy Bed Kits

It took me about 15 hours from start to finish. I am pretty handy though.

See ya,

Wally
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote