Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2022, 01:36 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm sure hoping all those west coast prices come to Texas where things are selling for 1/4 to 1/3 those prices. I'll cash out for a cool million and get a camper.
Apparently the campgrounds are getting even more packed as other's have shuttered. Less supply, more weekend warrior demand.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2022, 01:50 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Apparently the campgrounds are getting even more packed as other's have shuttered. Less supply, more weekend warrior demand.
Lots of room in Texas. A friend with his Class A rig just went to a local campground last weekend and the place was half full. Summer there is more demand of course. But it was 77 F today so it ain't too bad here.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #83
Administrator

Quote:
I'm sure hoping all those west coast prices come to Texas where things are selling for 1/4 to 1/3 those prices. I'll cash out for a cool million and get a camper.
I wouldn't sell my house for a million bucks. It is just how I want it and just where I want it. I'll sell it when I have to go to the CCRC and not before.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:22 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Home prices getting interesting, what price are homes in your neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I wouldn't sell my house for a million bucks. It is just how I want it and just where I want it. I'll sell it when I have to go to the CCRC and not before.

That’s an excellent place to be and viewpoint! People love the tired old cliche, “When you’ve won the game, why keep gambling?” - true in this case.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:46 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's what my sister in CT keeps saying.

I would sell this place but I'd never get the million as it would be a $700,000 gain. It's 2,000 SF and too big. Besides, DW will be needing specialized care in the next couple of years and we may be selling then for a much different arrangement (probably not a camper).
Old 02-16-2022, 03:59 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You would probably have to since the property taxes would be ridiculous!
Old 02-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
You would probably have to since the property taxes would be ridiculous!
Exactly! But we have no state income tax! So it kind of evens out. And our gasoline price for RUG yesterday was $2.89/gal. LOL
Old 02-16-2022, 04:20 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Yeah don't quite understand the excitement of someone's house going from $500,000 to $1,000,000 if they don't plan to sell.

That is just a (eventual) double of your property tax.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:26 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Yeah don't quite understand the excitement of someone's house going from $500,000 to $1,000,000 if they don't plan to sell.

More to pass down to the kids eventually?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #90
Administrator

Quote:

I don't how they do things where you live, but around here they take the town budget and divide it by the grand list to get our mill rate. They they multiply the mill rate by your assessed value. If everyone in town had their house double in value, the assessed value would double, so the grand list would double and the mill rate would halve, because the town budget would still be the same. So your taxes would be the same. Our property gets reassessed every five years whether you sell it or not. The only time your property tax would double is if your house doubled in value and everyone else's stayed the same.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Well, one can always wait for a recession and possibly see the value go back down then you won't feel too bad about not selling.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:31 PM   #92

Quote:
I don't how they do things where you live, but around here they take the town budget and divide it by the grand list to get our mill rate. They they multiply the mill rate by your assessed value. If everyone in town had their house double in value, the assessed value would double, so the grand list would double and the mill rate would halve, because the town budget would still be the same. So your taxes would be the same. Our property gets reassessed every five years whether you sell it or not. The only time your property tax would double is if your house doubled in value and everyone else's stayed the same.
Yes that's how it is in our town here in NH as well.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm so happy to read that you feel this way about your house! I feel the same about my Dream Home. Used to be that I never really thought anybody actually felt this content. But I do, and apparently you do too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:52 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not where we live because of Prop 13. We have nice parks and schools and don't seem to have all the special assessments others complain about, so our property taxes stay pretty low.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 04:55 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, one can always wait for a recession and possibly see the value go back down then you won't feel too bad about not selling.

Haha - It is a cr@p shoot on when to sell where we live. One neighbor sold their house and then comparable homes went up $500K in price the next year. But another time friends sold at the peak, and then 2008 came along and prices dropped.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm so happy to read that you feel this way about your house! I feel the same about my Dream Home. Used to be that I never really thought anybody actually felt this content. But I do, and apparently you do too.
Make that 3. We feel the same way.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:06 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Make that 3. We feel the same way.
So glad! This is the happiness we all deserve after working so hard at our jobs, all of our lives!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:10 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Not where we live because of Prop 13. We have nice parks and schools and don't seem to have all the special assessments others complain about, so our property taxes stay pretty low.

$A1.25M / unimproved value $A414,000; tax $A2,600 = 0.2% / 0.6%

Every day I collected the mail last year, the estimated value increased $A1,000. Now about $A200.
Samsung4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So glad! This is the happiness we all deserve after working so hard at our jobs, all of our lives!
Exactly! I hope to get lucky and totally avoid CCRC's , Nursing homes etc. I only want to leave here feet first on a gurney, although hopefully not for a few decades more.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:17 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Florida for most folks who own homes have the maximum yearly increase of 3% and if one moved for the first time into a market value house, the increases (for us) have been zero the last 2 years, while the lower taxed properties had a little increase.
This is while the home value increased 50%.