Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
After being slightly intrigued by the interest in alarm monitoring services in this thread I decided to do a google search. I found this near the top of the list:
http://www.alarmmonitoringservices.com

They are advertising a basic service at $5.95/month (assumes land or Voip phone line is available). They also charge about $20/year extra for providing "insurance certificates"

Has anyone ever considered an outfit like this? I never considered myself a candidate for alarm monitoring but at that price level it becomes potentially interesting.

FWIW I have lived in house for ~ 16 years and an analog alarm is installed. I never have had it monitored. I have always relied on the exterior site lighting (industrial) provided by my neighbors driveway as a deterrent.

-gauss
I haven't done any research (thanks for the link),but I'm definitely considering this. We've currently got Protection1 after they bought up ASG after they bought up Choptank Security. We use the system mostly when we go away, both for a week or so as well as when we snowbird away for 6 months. I've never gotten a call or notice from them, even when our landline went out for like 3 months, so I don't think we're getting any value from them. My biggest reason for the system (besides DW, SWMBO) is the alarm to alert our neighbors. I don't really think the monitoring accomplishes much, so finding a cheaper version of it would be great. I'm going to look into it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yes, the current system is linked to the landline phone, which we plan to keep. We also have a router for Wi-Fi for other devices...which is close to being overloaded as it is. Certainly would not want to add yet another device (alarm system) to its load.

Are folks saying we would be expected to purchase an additional cellular connection?
Just wanted to speak to your 'overloaded' wifi. You can expand your router many times over and have very little effect on device speeds. You can get a 5 port switch for $10 through Amazon. At last count, I have 14 devices that have ethernet connections and about 10 devices that are wireless. There is negligible speed issues with all those devices.

As for alram, I have Simpisafe and have been very happy. Cheap and has worked very well. No false alarms since installing it in February of 2012.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:35 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I self installed with IRIS from Lowes. No monthly fees, wireless ,and you just buy the components you want. Beside the normal door alarms I added a camera and water detection for the basement. When the alarm goes off, I get noise, a phone call and an email. If I wanted, I could pay a monthly fee to get calls to fire/police, but I don't need that.
sdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Security with Monitoring
Old 02-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Home Security with Monitoring

I went with a local security company when we built the house 23 years ago. Door and window contacts, motion sensors, sirens with monitoring. Virtually flawless- no false alarms. I also put in 3 exterior infrared ip cameras a few years ago that I monitor via email notifications of motion detection. Also monitor live video via phone/tablet/computer. Also put in a driveway entrance gate.
All of this is fine, but I think the best part is the deterrent that the security signs provide.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have seen a couple of comments about signs being used to deter criminals. Keep in mind that while this *might* deter some folks, it may not others as this screenshot will illustrate.

Also, my DW (who's involved in management of many rental properties) had a tenant who was the victim of a robbery. The day prior, the door was kicked in and the alarm sounded and the police responded, but nothing was stolen. The VERY next day, the alarm triggered around the same time, but this time around, there was stuff stolen. Apparently one of the tricks that the robbers will employ is breaking/setting off an alarm to see what the response time (if any) is of the police and/or home owners.

So, just keep in mind that an alarm may be a better deterrent than nothing, it's FAR from a guarantee that something bad won't happen to you. I find value in it that it will let me know that someone is trying to visit me without my prior approval...then I can deal with the problem as necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deter.jpg (154.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All you can do with alarm systems is try to reach the point of diminishing returns. You can never deter every single miscreant. It's like the continuing discussions about safe withdrawal rates we have here. You can prepare for what's likely and for many things that aren't very likely but you can't prepare for everything. So do what you can and don't worry about doing what you can't
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adt, home monitoring, home security, simplisafe