Home temperature

Cpadave

Recycles dryer sheets
For those who use heat at home, what setting do you use? We have it at 69 during days and 67 at night.

72-75. DW hates the cold. I also launch the gas fireplace when I get up. It makes the house very toasty.

For heating season we're at:

• 65° 5a-7a & 5p-9p Mon-Fri and 5a-9p on Sat/Sun.
  • 62° 7a-5p Mon-Fri
  • 59° 9p-5a 7 days/week
We're both more comfortable being cool. In summer A/C our thermostat is at 75° during the day and 72° sleep hours. In Spring and Fall we turn off heat and A/C for days at a time, and open windows and run fans when possible.

Last edited:
DW and I look at heat and A/C in a non financial way. What I mean is that we adjust the thermostat strictly on how we feel/our comfort vice any financial savings.

Heat-Usually 71 or 72. Currently we turn it off because the sun (despite being only 55 outside) warms our house to a comfortable level. Plus we aren't home during the day.

A/C-in the summer months we turn it on to 74 which is perfect for me. DW will turn it up to 75-76. That is her comfort zone. We live on the water so many times we open the house and enjoy the breezes despite the outside temp's in the low 80's. When we close up the house at the end of those days we turn the A/C back on to get the temp back down inside the house to 74.

During heating season it's 66 during the day, 63 while sleeping.
It gradually ramps down in the evening and up in the morning, so there's a transition period of a few hours twice a day.

68 during the day. I forget the night temp I have programmed, but it's in the 50s. I have a big house so I try to keep the area I'm in warm, but not the whole house. So I'll use a mattress pad heater, and plenty of blankets and a warm cat to keep me warm in bed. A blanket if I'm watching TV. Wear warm clothes. The only downside is that my hands can get cold which makes using the laptop harder, otherwise I'd keep the temp lower.

My house rarely gets over 80 degrees in the summer so I rarely use the A/C unless it gets muggy, or if it's still too warm at night to sleep. Ceiling fans help a lot, and there's usually a breeze on the mountain.

Heat at 70 day, 67 night.

AC central air at 72 day. At night we turn off central air and use a window unit in the bedroom set at 72.

Heat 71, but it's been unseasonably warm here. We're opening the windows and in house temp. 73. The leaves are falling at a slower rate than usual.

Cold is painful in this household. Impossible to wear gloves and extra socks and function.
71 during the day. Probably 65 at night with a space heater in the affected bedroom. We will see how the nights go this winter.

72 downstairs and 70 upstairs during heating season. We also have a gas fireplace that we use to toast things up.

Winter 69.
Summer 78.
Live in southern California in a one level home so generally am only operating the systems 30-60 days each season.

We turn it to 65 at night, 74 during cold days. We have a gas fired stove that helps.

AC? We've turn it on one day every year.

Heating - 70 in the day, 68 at night. I don’t like the cold and get up too often at night to set it much lower.

Cooling - 76. I’ll bump it down if I’m particularly warm or people are coming over. Never below 74.

We live near NYC in almost 3000 sf split house with one zone. Not the most efficient for heating or cooling. I prefer warm temperature and I agree the comfort is more important. When we use to live in manhattan apt, the temperature in winter was around 82-84. I used to walk with shorts and t-shirt. How I miss those days:)

65 downstairs. 55 in bedroom. 50 in unused bedrooms. I have old dogs to support, don’t be needing to pay the fuel man any more than necessary!
I must be getting soft, in CO I kept house at 63 during day, 60 at night.
Cannot stand to be hot! We get air conditioners next summer, those hot days this last year about killed me!

We live near NYC in almost 3000 sf split house with one zone. Not the most efficient for heating or cooling. I prefer warm temperature and I agree the comfort is more important. When we use to live in manhattan apt, the temperature in winter was around 82-84. I used to walk with shorts and t-shirt. How I miss those days:)

We are probably in the same region as you, but the house is 2000 sf two-story one zone. I wish I had a 2-zone system.

winters 69 day / 68 night
summers 70 day / 68 (?) night

Wintertime heating (now)

Upstairs:

5:45AM - 70°
8:00AM - 68°
8:30PM - 70°
10:00PM - 64°

Downstairs:

5:45AM - 70°
8:00AM - 69°
8:30PM - 70°
10:00PM - 65°

Our thermostat (Honeywell Lyric T5) tries to anticipate the temperature change, so it starts ramping up/down the temperature before the scheduled time.

If it's not to our liking for some reason, we just say "Hey Siri, change the temperature downstairs to 72°" or whatever.

We're definitely on the low side in this group:

Heating season:
Two furnaces, one for the upper two floors, one for the lower level (guest bedrooms)
We keep the upper two floors at 67 during the day, 55 at night
The lower level is set at 55 unless guests are in town

Summer:
No A/C so whatever nature gives us is what we have.

For heating: 68 daytime, 66 at night with heated mattress pad . Our family room has a set of gas logs so in the evening, that room only is 70-71.

For most summer days, the A/C is off and windows open. This past summer 2018 was the most we ever used the A/C. When the house is over 76, we turn the A/C on.

Our thermostat (Honeywell Lyric T5) tries to anticipate the temperature change, so it starts ramping up/down the temperature before the scheduled time.
I was looking at that Thermostat, and a few others, mostly to be able to set it down when I'm away. I have a programmable and can do it for up to 6 hours, or in vacation mode (resumes schedule on a date, but not time of day), but only if I remember. I like the geofencing idea some of them have.

The problem is, I have a heat pump, and live in the mountains. None of those smart thermostats I've found use the S1 and S2 wires from the outdoor temp sensor. Instead they use weather sources from the internet. Some, including Nest, use a zip code or nearest airport, which are both 25 miles away, 2000' lower, and over mountain--could easily be 10 degrees colder (on inversion days) or 15 degrees warmer, so my heat pump could be running when it's too cold, or not running when it is the right temp for it. ecobee uses closer weather stations, but even those aren't accurate for me, can easily be 5 degrees off.

There's an older Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 that was recommended to me, that uses S1/S2, but doesn't have geofencing, but I'd have to remember to set it back at home or from my phone. I'd really like to just leave with my phone and have it recognize I'm gone, then crank the heat back up as I'm pulling back into my garage. Any ideas?

Heat, 62 during the day, 60 at night. We’re comfortable at these temps, but will turn it up for guests. During a/c season: 76 during the day, 72 at night.

Back
Top Bottom