Join Early Retirement Today

Homeowner's Insurance and Roof Coverage
Old 07-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Homeowner's Insurance and Roof Coverage

I'm having a rather unexpectedly pleasant experience with a very small roof leak in the upstairs of my house. Noticed a stain on ceiling of spare bedroom about a month ago, didn't think much of it as it was small and I assumed it was rain blown into the ridge vent in recent thunderstorms. Finally went in attic and verified that yes, it was from roof and not AC condensate. Wandered outside and got far enough away to view the offending area and darn if there wasn't a shingle puckered (I don't allow myself on the upper roof any more). Surprised as the roof was all completely replaced in 2006 when I added an addition. I know 20-30 year roof's often don't last that long but it still has appeared great to me, especially compared to others in the hood.

Did some calling around and found a highly recommended roofer. He inspected and while up there was chalking all sorts of spots. Comes down and informs me there's mucho hail damage and two shingles missing. I was sort of shocked but figured, oh well, time for a new roof. He informed me insurance would likely cover, and was further shocked. Then when I told him it was Metlife, he grimaced and said they require claim to be filed within 180 days. I could not recall recent hail, but he started researching and found that local TV station had film of it in March. Cool. He filed the information and today I was informed they would cover it ALL, estimate almost $13k with deductible. Sweet. Replace my 15 yo roof for $1,000.

What baffled me is the roofer relating how different HO insurance companies handle such claims, the 180 day requirement being one of them. He had nothing positive to say about one of the highly recognized names out there who he says just about refuses all claims and is in his opinion unethical. I had pretty much assumed insurance coverage was equal and legally required to be. Who reads the fine print in 1/4" thick policies when choosing various carriers? I know, some of you likely do but I sure don't.

Lastly, I was rather shocked that they'd pay out the full price of a 15 year old roof. Always assumed they'd depreciate it. We do have full replacement cost policy but I thought that only applied to contents.

Oh well, free roof was a real shock. Just had the place painted, some landscaping done, remodeled the addition. Place should be good for a while.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many insurers have stopped writing replacement coverage for the roof in TX because the frequent hailstorms mean that the coverage is very costly. As you've noted, getting a new roof to replace a roof that was halfway through its useful life means they're giving you more than what you lost.

Yeah, I wouldn't have expected the 180-day limit, either but I can understand it. First, the damage can worse as you delay in filing a claim, especially with a roof with holes in it. Second, over time damage can occur from other causes, some not covered by the policy, and then you end up arguing over how much of the damage was the result of the initial event. Example from car insurance: I had a poor-as-a-church-mouse coworker who was driving a car with some body damage that she couldn't afford to repair. An at-fault driver hit that portion of her car and his insurer wasn't going to pay anything because they couldn't determine what damage their insured caused vs. what was already there. I never did hear how that ended up.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post

Did some calling around and found a highly recommended roofer.
This is what you did right to make it happen. A local, experienced, roofer knows how the game is played, and the ways to satisfy the insurance company.

Of course, he/she wants the work, but spending the time to make sure you get it done with only the deductible, makes them valuable to you.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #4

Sure, but that local experienced roofer is often also willing to claim hail damage to get the job. I've had more than one guy stop by and say I need a new roof when I most certainly didn't, and these guys all say they're local and experienced with reviews, referrals etc.

Really doesn't matter much to me because I carry a $5k deductible and wouldn't file a claim even if I had hail damage, a new roof is still less than $10k in my area.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
... He had nothing positive to say about one of the highly recognized names out there who he says just about refuses all claims and is in his opinion unethical......

What name ?
I'd like to know as possibly I have this one and need to be alerted to it.

I used to have State Farm, they handled my hail damaged roof really well, and paid for it's replacement and it was double layer needing to be removed

Neighbor had Farmer's and they refused to do his roof, while 10 in the neighborhood were being done. I guess the hail missed his house
Old 07-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Roof repairs is a racket, especially when the roofs are pushing the end of their lifespan and have damage.

And the roofing contractor business is also a racket. Those guys know who to deal with and how to get the claims approved.

I had three houses a couple of years ago, and had a couple of homeowners' claims on two separate properties. When I sold two of the homes and moved an hour away, they were quoting $4,000 premiums per year.

Lexus Nexus has a credit reporting division that keeps track on insurance claims on houses. More than 2 claims in 3 years and the companies will only write insurance at double the normal premiums. Other insurance companies wouldn't touch me. It doesn't matter why you have the claims, but a FICO type score. And I hadn't had a homeowners' claim in 30 years previously. I'm paying $2,000 which is still too much now.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #7

That's pretty hilarious because his issue was with State Farm! Times can change and I suppose there can be variability by region. All I know is Metlife said I'm getting a new $13k roof. Roof has a leak, there's hail dings and two missing shingles, adjuster agreed. Roofer found evidence there had been hail within 180 day window so he'll get the work.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #8

And someone will probably point out that Metlife HO is now under Farmers. Not sure which entity set the criteria applicable to my situation.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Lastly, I was rather shocked that they'd pay out the full price of a 15 year old roof. Always assumed they'd depreciate it. We do have full replacement cost policy but I thought that only applied to contents.

Yep. This was a stunner to me as well. Our roof was 20 yrs old and we had two inspections in the last 5 yrs so I knew our time was coming. On advice from a neighbor we called our inspector and he claimed the hail damage was visible from the ground. Called insurance company and they confirmed. Roofer offers free upgrade to architectural shingles and insurance policy VG pays for several upgrades for underpayment etc. in the long run it means they have overcharged us for the coverage so they can replace a 20 yr old roof without depreciating it. Feels like hitting the lottery. Never had a HO claim before.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:

If they didn't cover 100%, half of south florida would be permanently tarped.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote