Honda CR-V Owners

Satisfied 2017 Honda CRV Owner

Purchased my second AWD Honda CRV EX-L in October 2017 (2017 model year). It now has 59,000 miles on it. My first was a 2013 that I ran until 143,000 miles and sold in 2018. The 2017 has better gas mileage, more power, more comfort overall. I bought new tires at 50,000 miles. I am on the original brakes, and just did the 60k service and it has plenty of pad service left. I have had no service issues. I did get the oil/gas service update, with an extended warranty, and have had no problems with this dilution issue before or after the fix. We live in a rural area with a reasonable amount of snow and ice, and the car performs great. The average gas mileage since purchase is over 34 mpg. The car is great on long trips. Negatives: the tires that we purchased, and the OEM tires, are noisy, but they offer good tread life and performance, so it’s a good trade off. The audio system is not the best, but works okay. Backup camera is good. Safety features are good. Our other car is a 2019 Subaru Ascent, which is a great car but 10 mpg less on mileage. When it comes time to replace the 2017 CRV, I will look again at the Honda and also consider the Subaru Forester and the Toyota RAV4. Lots of good choices.

Here's a comparison of Hybrid SUVs if that interest you. I've never owned a hybrid but might dip my toes in the water next time. I'm a couple of years away from buying something so plenty of time to decide. I'm not big on the super compact models. I've always liked the Highlanders but they are not cheap.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/hybrid-suvs

Here's a comparison of Hybrid SUVs if that interest you. I've never owned a hybrid but might dip my toes in the water next time. I'm a couple of years away from buying something so plenty of time to decide. I'm not big on the super compact models. I've always liked the Highlanders but they are not cheap.

Nice to see an American car as #1.

I purchased a 2020 CRV (EXL trim) last June and I like it a lot. I have approx 7,000 miles on it and so far I have had no problems. This is the first car that I have owned that has some of the modern safety features and I do feel safer in the car.

The car gets good mileage and has good comfort and visibility. I plan to keep it for a minimum of ten years and 150,000 miles. After that I will continue driving it until repairs become expensive. I am in my late 60s so this is likely the second to last car that I will own and I am very pleased with the purchase.

My wife drove a reliable 2001 BMW330i for 11 years so it is time for a new SUV and our short list is 2019 RAV4, 2019 CRV, 2019 Subaru Crosstrek.

We rejected the 2019 RAV4 because of the engine noise which the older RAV4 did not have. I like the faster 2019 CRV over the slower Subaru Crosstrek but the oil dilution problem with the 1.5 turbo is a big concern.

I heard that the oil dilution problem happens when the engine is cold such as cold climate areas and Honda changed the software to make the engine warm up sooner. I am in California.

Are there anybody who own a 2019 or 2020 Honda CRV in California and are having the oil dilution problem?

Wow! Some more great advise. Now, I don't know if I want a CR-V. LOL The RAV4 has it's issues also, so I don't know what to do.

We have a 2020 CRV. 15k miles in 8 months. Zero problems! Has been driven from Laredo, Texas to Seattle to Los Angeles to the Florida Keys. Currently in Georgia and headed for Maine. Just now due for its second oil change.

I pay little attention to magazines' Best Of lists as I don't feel they're often completely objective in their assessments.

Our 2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD was about the same price as the average U.S. automobile--much less than the Highlander. And it's a very stylish and high quality vehicle--a strong value. I checked the mileage today, and I'm getting 39.5 average MPG. The Camry Hybrid I traded in averaged 49 mpg.

And as I see fuel prices rise in the last month, I can just thumb my nose at the pump.

2nd CRV

2020 EX-AWD.
No problems, 30+ mpg
No regrets

I pay little attention to magazines' Best Of lists as I don't feel they're often completely objective in their assessments.

Our 2021 Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD was about the same price as the average U.S. automobile--much less than the Highlander. And it's a very stylish and high quality vehicle--a strong value. I checked the mileage today, and I'm getting 39.5 average MPG. The Camry Hybrid I traded in averaged 49 mpg.

And as I see fuel prices rise in the last month, I can just thumb my nose at the pump.

It's not bad looking. I'm keeping an open mind. As I said.....I'm a couple of years away from trading.

............ I checked the mileage today, and I'm getting 39.5 average MPG. The Camry Hybrid I traded in averaged 49 mpg...........
Why did you trade in the Camry? I thought you liked it.

We have a 2007 CRV with 150K miles on it. Very reliable car. We will give it to our daughter when she graduates from college in a year and get another CRV. I like to buy cars new save then drive them into the ground.

Regarding the oil dilution issue, I’ll do some research when it’s time to buy a car. I’ve not been impressed with Toyotas from a tech and feature viewpoint. They seem like an old man car compared to the Hondas. Soft, spongy ride. No cutting edge features in terms of controls.

2021 CR-V has hybrid also. Anyone know of issues with them or own one. I beleive the way it looks they still use the 1.5L. I can't see where they have any issues with the hybrid batteries or motors.

The big drawback for the 2021 CR-V hybrid: no spare tire. I do own a 2004 CR-V and it is great.

This is so easy to overlook in reading reviews. No way am I going to buy a car that has this defect. So we will take a test drive in the RAV4 hybrid late this month when we have had our second vaccine shot.

Since the RAV4 is so popular, I figure we will not have a lot of bargaining power.

This is a good review, he's a little silly but informative:
comparing trim levels:

Last edited:
My wife drove a reliable 2001 BMW330i for 11 years so it is time for a new SUV and our short list is 2019 RAV4, 2019 CRV, 2019 Subaru Crosstrek.

We rejected the 2019 RAV4 because of the engine noise which the older RAV4 did not have.

The Engine noise of the RAV4 is a bother to some. One of the reasons to get the hybrid version (besides an additional 12 mpg and a bit more horsepower) is that having an electric motor up front and another one on the back axle reduces the need for the gasoline engine to rumble.

The only draw back on a hybrid is the cost of batteries if you keep it into that 8 to 10 years old. I see the cost of replacement just for batteries is ~$9K plus.

So if that is about the time you want to trade at 10 years or sell out right. That may be a huge hit on value!!

The only draw back on a hybrid is the cost of batteries if you keep it into that 8 to 10 years old. I see the cost of replacement just for batteries is ~$9K plus.

So if that is about the time you want to trade at 10 years or sell out right. That may be a huge hit on value!!

That would be a real potential deal breaker for me. I like to keep cars that long or longer and if I had to dump $9k into a battery replacement it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of a higher mpg hybrid (which tends to cost more to begin with) in the first place.

Well might depend on the owners age and replacement strategy.

With cars changing so rapidly we might want to replace more rapidly too. As an age 72 driver we don't drive all that much and I'm imagining replacing more rapidly. When we travel we often go by air anyway (assuming no Covid). Probably EV's will be more advanced too (more range) and more economical in the future.

Hopefully, the batteries will last as long as the engine/transmission. It is also possible to get 'used' batteries from a [-]junkyard[/-] auto parts recycling business.

The trick to getting the batteries to last is to not block the vents that prevent overheating, and change the little air filter in those vents. So I am told.

Last edited:

I spend less than $9k on gas in 10 years.

Here for a reconditioned battery pack, including installation,

~$1,500 for the 2nd/3rd generation Prius models,

~$2,500 for Honda hybrids or larger Toyota hybrids (Avalon/Camry/Highlander/RAV4):

https://greenbeanbattery.com

Last edited:
The big drawback for the 2021 CR-V hybrid: no spare tire.

Never had a flat tire with our 2007 CRV. I can only remember needing a spare tire twice in 25 years. Once in the late 90s near my workplace. The most recent time was around 2008 when I accidentally backed my car into my retaining wall and punctured the sidewall.

I think it's rare for a car to have a full sized spare so if you have the small donut tire, it only spares you the towing charge.

Never had a flat tire with our 2007 CRV. I can only remember needing a spare tire twice in 25 years. Once in the late 90s near my workplace. The most recent time was around 2008 when I accidentally backed my car into my retaining wall and punctured the sidewall.

I think it's rare for a car to have a full sized spare so if you have the small donut tire, it only spares you the towing charge.

I believe the RAV4 2021 has a full size spare tire. I've gotten a few flats from nails on the road in town. Without a spare it would have been inconvenient. Probably a by product of construction activities in the area but just guessing.

Occasionally we've gone to national parks and out of the way places like that. Would be a bummer to have to call a tow truck and wait ... and wait. Plus just that threat of such a situation is not a pleasant thought. So it's a matter of opinion and driving destinations, etc.

The big drawback for the 2021 CR-V hybrid: no spare tire. I do own a 2004 CR-V and it is great.

This is so easy to overlook in reading reviews. No way am I going to buy a car that has this defect.

I've given up on spares. Nice to have, but in all seriousness I'm not going to change my own damned tire. Road-side service plans are ubiquitous, often come with the car or insurance policies. They are relatively cheap. You call a number, someone comes out and fixes or changes your tire, you drive away. No spare on our RV. Not a defect!

Before you sign your name please try a Mazda CX5. Ride quality over a CRV is very noticeable. We leased a 19 CX5 and decided to buy it because due to the pandemic we’ve only put 14k on it in 2 years. Good luck

I've given up on spares. Nice to have, but in all seriousness I'm not going to change my own damned tire. Road-side service plans are ubiquitous, often come with the car or insurance policies. They are relatively cheap. You call a number, someone comes out and fixes or changes your tire, you drive away. No spare on our RV. Not a defect!

For people who are always in towns and never in more remote locations this is probably not a problem. See my comments above.

Before you sign your name please try a Mazda CX5. Ride quality over a CRV is very noticeable. We leased a 19 CX5 and decided to buy it because due to the pandemic we’ve only put 14k on it in 2 years. Good luck

That's the one car I wish I had test driven before we bought our 3rd Subaru. I know they get rated very well and Mazda's reliability has increased dramatically over the years and now is at or near the top. I also hear they are more upscale feeling for the price and driving dynamics are really good.

BIL has the larger CX9 and really likes it. The concern I had, as with many other vehicles is that, living in NH it is hard to do better than the Subaru AWD system.
So here we are on our 3rd Outback in a row and still really happy with them.
The only reason I was looking at cars other then the Outback was that their reliability has dropped a little lately and that still concerns me a bit.

Back
Top Bottom