Honda Element

Beer man

Dryer sheet aficionado
I'm thinking of getting a new car and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Element. I need to haul 2 kids and 1 or 2 dogs. I want something cheap, relatively fuel efficient, able to carry a kayak, and all wheel drive. The polyurethane lining instead of carpet is very appealing. I've never had a Honda, but am aware of their reputation for quality and longevity. The crash test ratings are excellent which is also important, since I will be hauling kids. Hopefully this would be a vehicle that could last me 10 years. Any input on quality issues, repair issues, etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

I bought a new Honda Element (4WD auto) in 2003, it has about 75K miles on it. It sounds like a good fit for your use --- I use mine to carry sailing gear, 2 dogs, 2 bicycles (without breaking them down, don't even have to take the front wheels off) and the occasional large object. I have not had any problems with it, but then it's the fourth Honda we've owned and they've all been highly reliable. Not having to worry about messing up carpeting is a huge plus for users like you and I.

Great for dogs as you can lay the back seats out flat and they are comfortable and high enough in the vehicle to see out, our dogs seem to prefer that. We throw an old mattress pad over the seats to minimize 'transfer of dog hair' but you wouldn't have to.

It is cheap and highly reliable. The sunroof in the back never gets used and in retrospect that was a stupid idea. And the mileage isn't great IMHO, about 22 city 25 highway - but it depends on what you consider normal. My wife has a hybrid so I'm the gas guzzler in our family.

I would bet it would go 10 years without major surgery. I had a Honda Prelude for more than 164K miles (the odo quit working so I don't know how many miles it really had) without any significant problems. The first thing outside regular maintenance on it was a new starter at 130K miles, and that wasn't very expensive.

You can't go wrong with a Honda (or Toyota) IMHO.

Last edited:
The only knock on the element is that it is only rated for like 850# of people and gear.

Also look at a Subaru Outback.

The only knock on the element is that it is only rated for like 850# of people and gear.

You aren't trying hard enough. How about the irritating shifter on the dashboard? The backwards wiper control? The lack of verve going up hills that is not compensated by stunning fuel economy? Not very fun getting in and out of the back - especially if the front occupants want to stay put - the belts make for exciting times for them! I had thought about an Element - it seemed the most like a fit for my (rental truck) use. Luckily FIL bought one to replace a CRV they wadded up so i've had the chance to use it. MIL loved the CRV, the Element, not so much. (BTW - Element is same platform as the CRV, and that CRV did real well in the crash). I went for a used BMW station wagon. Rear wheel drive, more poop, way cheaper. Four real doors. But i'm thriffty.

You aren't trying hard enough. How about the irritating shifter on the dashboard? Not at all, looks odd but you get used to it very quickly. If an auto, a non-starter to begin with. The backwards wiper control? Huh? The lack of verve going up hills that is not compensated by stunning fuel economy? You don't buy an Element expecting a sports car. Not very fun getting in and out of the back not a problem, however - especially if the front occupants want to stay put true enough - the belts make for exciting times for them! I had thought about an Element - it seemed the most like a fit for my (rental truck) use. Luckily FIL bought one to replace a CRV they wadded up so i've had the chance to use it. MIL loved the CRV, the Element, not so much. (BTW - Element is same platform as the CRV, and that CRV did real well in the crash). I went for a used BMW station wagon. Rear wheel drive not a good thing if you live up north despite ABS, VSC, etc., more poop and the mileage?, way cheaper. That's a laugh. I've owned a BMW and another marquee brand, and the maintenance $ are absolutely outrageous, not cheap by any means as the OP stipulated. Four real doors. But i'm thriffty. And he did say he wants to put dogs and stuff in it, easier without carpets.
I've owned one for 5 years for a purpose similar to the OP, although you make some good points.

Or Forester. I'm happy with our 2000 5sp. Reasonable gas mileage and pretty versatile.

DD

I'm thinking of getting a new car and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Element. I need to haul 2 kids and 1 or 2 dogs. I want something cheap, relatively fuel efficient, able to carry a kayak, and all wheel drive. The polyurethane lining instead of carpet is very appealing. I've never had a Honda, but am aware of their reputation for quality and longevity. The crash test ratings are excellent which is also important, since I will be hauling kids. Hopefully this would be a vehicle that could last me 10 years. Any input on quality issues, repair issues, etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you're willing to give up the AWD, the Toyota Sienna minivan might be a better choice. We considered both and wound up chosing the Sienna over the Element.

To keep the price differential between the two small, we had to go with the low end CE version of the Sienna and AWD is not available with the CE. However, we were pleasantly surprised at how nice the trim package and amenities are on the CE considering it is the bottom of the line. In 2005, we got it out the door for under $23k.

The roof rack will accept Yakima or Thule mounts for your kayak. There is nice bucket seat seating for the four of you and plenty of room for the dogs with the rear seat folded into the floor.

The rear end becomes cavernous with a huge amount of space for hauling if you remove the middle row of buckets. But, because you do need to remove the middle buckets for hauling really large stuff, that becomes a negative.......pulling them out and leaving them at home. Fortunately, we've only needed to do that infrequently. Just folding the rear seats into the floor has accomocated almost everything we've needed to stick back there.

As far a having no AWD, the FWD does pretty well. We live in the Chicago area. My son has the Sienna most of the time (three kids) and reports it does quite well in the snow and ice. I'm sure AWD would be better in that regard, but just noting that traction/handling are good with the Sienna's FWD.

People either love em or hate em. But of all the Element owners I've known (quite a few) they all loved em. They are perfect if you like to carry around a lot of gear. If you ever like to travel and sleep in the car, the Element would be perfect -- you can remove and fold down seats and get get enough room for a tall person to stretch out.

And the mileage isn't great IMHO, about 22 city 25 highway

I'm surprised that the mileage is that low - it's a pretty small car. Our Volvo wagon gets over 30 mpg on the highway.

I'm surprised that the mileage is that low - it's a pretty small car. Our Volvo wagon gets over 30 mpg on the highway.
We were surprised too, but it's not far off the EPA estimates at the time, which I didn't pay much attention to. Coincidentally, I traded in a Volvo 850 wagon on the Element and I averaged about 29 on the highway with the Volvo.

I have a 2007 model, and they did fix the entry to the rear seat problem by designing the belts into the front seat. I love mine -- has plenty of pep (increased the horses in 2007), I would have guessed it had a six rather than four cylinder (if I had not known). I only have 5,000 miles on mine but I have averaged 24 mpg when driving about half highway and half in town. I think the rating for haul capacity is way low -- even the tow capacity is low (1500lbs) in the US, but when sold in other countries is over 3,000lbs. I have towed a 2,000lb boat with no issues at all. Great for dogs as others have said. I bought it for the reliability and versatility since I haul a dog, kayaks, bikes, camping gear, etc. I leave my rear seats out much of the time for hauling stuff. Mine replaced a 1992 Toyota 4WD truck which I bought new and has 251,000 miles on it (in fact, just sold it today for $5,000). If the Element serves me as well as the Toyota did, I will be a happy camper.

Back
Top Bottom