Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2022, 08:14 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
I should mention that the Honda Pilot (2021 Black Edition version) was my frontrunner until I noticed that CR rated Pilots lower than the other two. Does anyone here own a 2020 or 2021 Honda Pilot and have you experienced any annoying problems? Looks like there have been issues reported with the in-car electronics.

I own a 2021 Pilot. 20k miles - zero problems.
TOOLMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 08:21 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Pilot from the first year they were offered (2003). It’s been great but now it’s old. I’ve been considering a Passport but it seems hybrid or electric is better going forward and Honda doesn’t have much in their current lineup. I’m waiting and will stick with the old ‘03 for now.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairMillionaire23 View Post
........... I also had a Toyota minivan for a rental once and it stalled while I was doing a 3-point turn (when I inadvertently turned down a dead-end road) and would not restart for 10 minutes..........
I've found trying to extrapolate to millions what I experienced with one sample is not good statistically or practically.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 12:20 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
makes me wonder where Consumer Reports is getting their data from.
I always find it amusing when Consumer Reports will take two virtually identical vehicles and rate one very high and one very low. For example, many, many years ago, CR would consistently rate the Toyota Corolla very high and the nearly identical, Chevy/Geo Prizm lower, even though they were made in the same NUMMI plant in Fremont CA with the exact same engines and transmissions.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
I always find it amusing when Consumer Reports will take two virtually identical vehicles and rate one very high and one very low. For example, many, many years ago, CR would consistently rate the Toyota Corolla very high and the nearly identical, Chevy/Geo Prizm lower, even though they were made in the same NUMMI plant in Fremont CA with the exact same engines and transmissions.
I don't think the problem is with CU. When I worked for MegaMotors, we did our own internal surveys and also used JD Power. The vehicles Mazda sold that we made and were identical except for a little interior trim and grille differences always rated higher.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
That is interesting.

A bit off-topic but my dad was a Consumer Reports subscriber for 15-20 or so in the 60's and 70's. My 2nd car was a 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 340. I looked up their report on muscle cars in an issue in 1970 which had the 'Cuda, Mustang, Camaro, and AMC Javelin, IIRC.

They could not recommend these cars because they had long hoods resulting in inadequate view of the road in front of you, cramped rear legroom, small rear windows with blind spots in the corners, miniscule trunks with excessive trunk liftover height, loud, rumbling exhaust, and the propensity to create unwanted acceleration accompanied with the sound of peeling rubber.

Well, DUH!!

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:31 PM   #67

I think that CR uses their own surveys of their subscribers. Here is from the horse's mouth, Consumer Reports themselves.

Quote:
Consumer Reports' product ratings are unique in that they combine product performance, measured through expert lab testing, with predicted reliability and owner satisfaction data gathered through surveys of product owners.
Personal biases certainly come into play big time. Ratings from such data is highly questionable.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #68

A long time ago, I bought a new car strictly on the basis of an absolutely glowing review in Consumer Reports. My previous one had died, and I needed a new one now. By coincidence, that month's CR (I was a loyal subscriber) showcased one that was right in my price range, the right size, and everything. I went right in and bought one.

Absolutely the worst car I have ever owned.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:10 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't think the problem is with CU. When I worked for MegaMotors, we did our own internal surveys and also used JD Power. The vehicles Mazda sold that we made and were identical except for a little interior trim and grille differences always rated higher.
Yeah, apparently I got one of those Ford Mazdas. The one that didn't make it to 100K. I look more carefully now - no matter the label. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #70

Have you considered an AMC Pacer or Ford Pinto?
Old 08-17-2022, 07:16 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Have you considered an AMC Pacer or Ford Pinto?
Not too sure about the Pacer, but it would be cool to have a Pinto wagon. Especially if it had the 4-speed manual. And I'm not even a Ford guy.

-AM23
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:28 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, apparently I got one of those Ford Mazdas. The one that didn't make it to 100K. I look more carefully now - no matter the label. YMMV
See? If you'd bought the Ford version it wouldn't have gotten to 75,000 miles. YM Did V
Old 08-18-2022, 08:52 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I have a Pilot from the first year they were offered (2003). It’s been great but now it’s old. I’ve been considering a Passport but it seems hybrid or electric is better going forward and Honda doesn’t have much in their current lineup. I’m waiting and will stick with the old ‘03 for now.

Honda always seems slow to move forward... I remember when airbags were coming out and they did not offer them on any models... I had sales people tell me that they were still 'too new'...

BTW, Honda was one of the companies that had Takata airbags that killed people... it is not always that car company that makes a car bad...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:55 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A long time ago, I bought a new car strictly on the basis of an absolutely glowing review in Consumer Reports. My previous one had died, and I needed a new one now. By coincidence, that month's CR (I was a loyal subscriber) showcased one that was right in my price range, the right size, and everything. I went right in and bought one.

And you did not tell us what it was...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:42 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I have experience with Honda and Toyota and Mazda. At one time, I would have said "take your pick." Now, I would pick only Toyota for reliability. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:08 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Before the internet, CR was just about all there was. So I bought a Chrysler minivan. Was rated highly by CR, but by the time I sold it, it was on one of those "10 worst vehicle" lists. Both transmission and engine had to be rebuilt. That was the worst car for reliability I ever owned. Now I only buy Toyota/Lexus, and _maybe_ Honda/Acura, though Honda/Acura have had major problems in recent years, and you have to be careful which model you buy.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Exactly the same thing happened to me. Before the internet, CR was just about all there was. So I bought a Chrysler minivan. Was rated highly by CR, but by the time I sold it, it was on one of those "10 worst vehicle" lists.
Mutual funds aren't the only thing you can buy that should come with a "past performance is no guarantee of future results" warning label.

Over the past 50 years I've purchased many items based on CR reviews. There were a couple of things that turned out to be real losers - a TV set, a microwave and a Plymouth station wagon stand out. However, I've been very happy with the reliability and performance of the vast majority of my CR recommended purchases. YMMV of course.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:37 AM   #78

I have owned two vehicles that were rated the worst ever by CR in all categories. Both gave me many trouble free miles.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I have owned two vehicles that were rated the worst ever by CR in all categories. Both gave me many trouble free miles.
Yes, good to point out that their ratings can be wrong in both directions. I've also had things I thought were wonderful but rated quite low by CR.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
My 2013 Sonata had the GDI engine and I sold it to Carvana with 77,000 miles and did have to take it in twice for recall inspections and it passed with flying colors both times. I never heard any knocking from the engine.
My 2011 got a new engine in 2019 after the engine seized. I stopped working in 2020. So I now have a 10-year old auto with a new engine and 55,000 miles. Mine passed those inspections too.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote