Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, since first reading this thread, I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the Internet about this issue. I have a new 2018 CR-V. I had read Consumer Reports ratings and this was a recommended vehicle. Edmunds gave it positive reviews, so was blindsided when I learned about this issue.

I am not a car person. I want a safe, reliable, comfortable vehicle to drive. My motivation for trading cars this time was to get the new safety features. I especially wanted a backup camera.

After my reading, my takeaway is that if my CR-V has this issue then it will shorten the length of time that I should keep it. This is probably not a vehicle that I can keep for eleven years like I did with my Accord. On the other hand, I should be able to be okay with it while it is under warranty at a minimum....and perhaps the fix that is rolling out will eventually reach my vehicle and actually solve the issue.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sounds like a piston ring seating failure issue with this engine.

Also, CEL (MIL) only shows up if the car computer senses an EMISSION problem. In most cases, emission problems result from spark plug misfires, EGR valve failures, MAP and MAF sensors, etc. There are two 02 sensors (called oxygen sensors) usually upstream and downstream of the Catalytic converter are used to sense emission problems (on single exhaust systems).

The above is GENERAL info for gasoline powered cars. Diesels are similar, but have different control technology.
I bet the turbo crv has at least one o2 sensor after the downpipe - running that rich should have set it off
Old 12-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

looks like the fix is to change the climate control unit and reflash the ecu - interesting
Old 12-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I bet the turbo crv has at least one o2 sensor after the downpipe - running that rich should have set it off
If you think about it, with gasoline migrating into the crankcase, the ECU might have sensed a LEAN condition in the combustion chamber and called for MORE fueling from the injectors (adding to the problem). Throwing a MIL may have happened in some cases. Some, maybe not.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

not sure - I"ve never had a direct injection car - just throttle body (LT1) and sequential injection
Old 12-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
not sure - I"ve never had a direct injection car - just throttle body (LT1) and sequential injection

I've had a lot of DI cars. This stuff is a lot more critical with diesels due to the multiple injection incidents per stroke in order to control pre-ignition and the much higher compression ratios. Plus meeting the NOx and particulate control requirements. Gas cars are going to see that PM control under the new CAA rules shortly too!

But this Honda issue is a real screw up on their part. When they sent out all the poorly designed transmissions years ago, they were able to hide most of that under the rug with an extended warranty on the unit (100,000 miles if I remember correctly).
Old 12-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Honda Very Disappointing

FYI, Consumer Reports has dropped the Odyssey and the Clarity from their recommended list due to reliability problems. My 79 Accord hatchback must be rolling over in its grave, assuming it’s still not running.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
so if you run rich the engine isn't burning off all of the fuel during combustion and it gets flushed into the oil pan

my question is how did this NOT trigger a CEL?

It’s probably occurring while the engine is cold and O2 sensor is not warmed up.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:17 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
It’s probably occurring while the engine is cold and O2 sensor is not warmed up.
Agreed, there are "startup" emissions exemptions negotiated into the emission rules and incorporated into the engine performance code. The agencies agreed on this when the car manufacturer's convinced them that tailpipe emissions will vary based on engine temperature and load conditions.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought my 2018 EXL just shy of a year ago with absolutely NO issues. Since I learned of the oil problems a month after buying it, I've been diligent in checking the oil every week or two. Just had my first oil change with no issues - still.

In addition, my car heats up within a mile from my garage (without warm up first), so that's good as well. There are MANY people who have no issues (I've been reading forums) with their V, even some with 65K+ miles on them.

Like many, I did tons of research on the SUV's I considered, and didn't see anything about the mentioned problems in my search on the CRV, only to learn of them shortly after buying, so my eyes are wide open now. I drive short distances daily (5-20 mins), with numerous short stops, and live in a cold climate (PA), so I can't agree that these are contributing factors to the oil and/or heat issues.

I agree that Honda needs to get to the root cause of this, not just a temporary "shut us up" fix, or this will come back and bite them. This is my first Honda and could very well be my last if I incur said problems. But, as of now, I'm thoroughly enjoying my ride.
Deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Well, since first reading this thread, I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the Internet about this issue. I have a new 2018 CR-V. I had read Consumer Reports ratings and this was a recommended vehicle. Edmunds gave it positive reviews, so was blindsided when I learned about this issue.

Don't feel so bad, it takes some time for trouble to show up enough to impact CR rating and reviews. No car has perfect reliability ratings. Problems that aren't a huge deal statistically can be show stoppers for those small percent who see real problems. With typical auto volumes, a "small percent" can be thousands or tens of thousands of owners. Also, you can friend internet info for problems on just about anything, and it's hard to place this into actionable context.

I bought a 2004 Honda CRV based on strong reviews and reliablity ratings, at least not obviously worse than the competition. It ended up being a good car, although far from perfect. Engine lasted almost 200K miles; the next owner put in a junkyard engine and it's still on the road.

I bought the 2004 crv because I wanted to avoid the toyota oil sludge problem of the era that seemed to especially plague their V6. No Toyota for me after oil sludge killed my friend's Lexus at 25K miles. I was shocked. My friend, even more so...

Pick your poison! Still, my 2014 crv is the best car I've ever owned, in all respects. Our 2005 camry is also the most reliable older car we've ever owned. Still, I feel for you guys with the newer crv problems...
Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #112
gone traveling

No reason to rag in Honda in general over a few persons specific problems. Our 2017 CR-V has been just fine. This thread comes across like the years ago Audi faulty brakes "issue".
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
No reason to rag in Honda in general over a few persons specific problems. Our 2017 CR-V has been just fine. This thread comes across like the years ago Audi faulty brakes "issue".
this doesn't appear to be a "few persons specific problems"...at this point it looks like an across the board issue with the design. Time will tell.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej View Post
Bought my 2018 EXL just shy of a year ago with absolutely NO issues. Since I learned of the oil problems a month after buying it, I've been diligent in checking the oil every week or two. Just had my first oil change with no issues -

I agree that Honda needs to get to the root cause of this, not just a temporary "shut us up" fix, or this will come back and bite them. This is my first Honda and could very well be my last if I incur said problems. But, as of now, I'm thoroughly enjoying my ride.
Honda knows what the problem is. They just don't know how to execute a fix without it costing them a fortune in a huge recall campaign. And right now, they don't appear to want to fix'em. Just about every car manufacturer will act the same way.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by xretro View Post
maybe the 1.5 is a two stroke!
Or a Chevy Vega....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Don't feel so bad, it takes some time for trouble to show up enough to impact CR rating and reviews. No car has perfect reliability ratings. Problems that aren't a huge deal statistically can be show stoppers for those small percent who see real problems. With typical auto volumes, a "small percent" can be thousands or tens of thousands of owners. Also, you can friend internet info for problems on just about anything, and it's hard to place this into actionable context.

I bought a 2004 Honda CRV based on strong reviews and reliablity ratings, at least not obviously worse than the competition. It ended up being a good car, although far from perfect. Engine lasted almost 200K miles; the next owner put in a junkyard engine and it's still on the road.

I bought the 2004 crv because I wanted to avoid the toyota oil sludge problem of the era that seemed to especially plague their V6. No Toyota for me after oil sludge killed my friend's Lexus at 25K miles. I was shocked. My friend, even more so...

Pick your poison! Still, my 2014 crv is the best car I've ever owned, in all respects. Our 2005 camry is also the most reliable older car we've ever owned. Still, I feel for you guys with the newer crv problems...
I think this is a valuable perspective. DW and I took the vehicle on a 100 mile roundtrip jaunt to our old stomping grounds last night, for a Christmas party with our former co-workers. It is a nice ride.
Right now our plan is to let Honda do its "fix", and watch the oil level like a hawk.
We might not keep this vehicle the 10 years we'd originally planned, but who knows?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sold my 2008 Honda Accord LX (138K miles on it) this past May for $6,400. I am grateful to have sold it for a reasonable price. I purchased a 2018 Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid as a replacement.

The reason for my frustration with Honda is that 2 1/2 years earlier, the Accord had 97,000 miles on it and the engine stopped - on Christmas Eve. The car was towed to the local dealer and Honda claimed that the vehicle did not have any oil in the vehicle. Anyway, I provided receipts that I had changed the oil each 3K - 5K miles over the life of the vehicle and that the last oil change had taken place at the 95,200 mile mark. There are numerous articles of problems with the 2008 Accord Engine losing oil - and Honda refused to fix.

Since the vehicle was no longer under warranty, Honda generously offered to replace the engine for $3,500. Since the car was not running, it was my best option at the time - as opposed to putting in a rebuilt engine that may or may not work.

Over the last 5 years = when the car was cold, the vehicle made a harsh sound during starting which Honda claimed they were aware of - but no fix offered.

Anyway, I just didn't like doing business with Honda after the aforementioned experiences and took my business to a closer dealer and brand - which was Toyota. So far, after 7 months - the Rav 4 runs like a charm.

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
I sold my 2008 Honda Accord LX (138K miles on it) this past May for $6,400. I am grateful to have sold it for a reasonable price. I purchased a 2018 Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid as a replacement.

The reason for my frustration with Honda is that 2 1/2 years earlier, the Accord had 97,000 miles on it and the engine stopped - on Christmas Eve. The car was towed to the local dealer and Honda claimed that the vehicle did not have any oil in the vehicle. Anyway, I provided receipts that I had changed the oil each 3K - 5K miles over the life of the vehicle and that the last oil change had taken place at the 95,200 mile mark. There are numerous articles of problems with the 2008 Accord Engine losing oil - and Honda refused to fix.

Since the vehicle was no longer under warranty, Honda generously offered to replace the engine for $3,500. Since the car was not running, it was my best option at the time - as opposed to putting in a rebuilt engine that may or may not work.

Over the last 5 years = when the car was cold, the vehicle made a harsh sound during starting which Honda claimed they were aware of - but no fix offered.

Anyway, I just didn't like doing business with Honda after the aforementioned experiences and took my business to a closer dealer and brand - which was Toyota. So far, after 7 months - the Rav 4 runs like a charm.

I
We test drove the RAV4, and as I have a Highlander I love, I was very surprised at how much I didn't like the RAV4. And DW liked it even less, and since this is her car, we had to scratch it off the list. Too bad. Then we drove the CRV and she loved it. So we bought it. Too bad again.

As a dear friend once told me, after he'd made an expensive mistake, "All of life's lessons cost money. I've just made another tuition payment." I look at these things this way, now.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
Keep an eye on the oil level. If you run the RAV4 without oil, it will meet the same fate as the Honda did, and Toyota will have the same response Honda did, if you are fortunate.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #120

Wow. Is there a website "somewhere" that lists all these makes, models and years that were such lemons - or had such prominent flaws - that one can review in order to "steer clear" of them in the future when buying used cars?