Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Add me to the thinks it's strange group.
Did you make the oil stain in the street? You may have caused the start of a pothole. Hope the paint resolves the issue.
While it is true that I've been responsible for staining many things in my lifetime, I am not responsible for the oil stain in the street.

And, OK, as per your request, I will add you to the "thinks it's strange group." But, I still don't understand what the strangeness is.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
And, OK, as per your request, I will add you to the "thinks it's strange group." But, I still don't understand what the strangeness is.
Well one of the joys of being FI is we get to be eccentric instead of insane!
GravitySucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

People call me eccentric, but I think it's because of old age and not my stash of money.

By the way, eccentric means being "off center", doesn't it?

Hmmm... I am always different than my peers, at any age. So, it's inborn and does not go with age either. Something to mull over.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
People call me eccentric, but I think it's because of old age and not my stash of money.
According to my father, "eccentric" just meant that one was a crazy person who had money. If one was flat broke, they were just plain crazy.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #25

At this point I would play dumb and do nothing. While I regularly sweep our street and hose off after the garbage truck uses the compactor in front of our house, I would not repair anything.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
At this point I would play dumb and do nothing. While I regularly sweep our street and hose off after the garbage truck uses the compactor in front of our house, I would not repair anything.
+1

The OP's township would probably appreciate him not experimenting with anymore witches brews on their asphalt.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
While it is true that I've been responsible for staining many things in my lifetime, I am not responsible for the oil stain in the street.

You can also add me to the 'thinks it's strange group' --- But, all I can say is that I'm really glad you're not on the Board of my HOA.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
+1

The OP's township would probably appreciate him not experimenting with anymore witches brews on their asphalt.
Nah, neighbor's don't care. Actually, some of them are following (in a friendly way) the lack of progress regarding the situation.
The OP's township is Los Angeles. And, I don't think anyone sees it as being "their asphalt."
Old 06-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
,,,But, all I can say is that I'm really glad you're not on the Board of my HOA.
Guess we both got a break there.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Guess we both got a break there.

Indeed we did! -- I just pity the ones that didn't.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Pictures? Maybe it’s not as bad as you’re thinking. Besides , I would not want to go any further on this. I assume you don’t own the street, but you may be paying a dear sum to fix it at this point. I would be inclined to walk away and not make things worse. Whether you fess up if someone comes knocking on your door is between you and your conscience, but I’d lay low.
First, thanks for the your response and it does seem as if you have my welfare at heart here. But... I'm finding it interesting that some of the responses seem to indicate that I did something wrong/illegal/eccentric.

What I did was try to clean up some oil spots (that I did not create) in front of my house on a public street (that I do not own). I went to HD for advice on how to handle the situation. The solution worked too well, creating another problem. (Plus I didn't do a very good job in following the instructions). OK, so instead of oil spots there are blanched spots. What damage has been done?

I truly don't expect anyone knocking at my door about this, but if someone does, I'll let you know.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #32

Well, you have a good nature, but as is often the case, no good deed goes unpunished. If I were going to do anything, I'd get the driveway sealer and seal the area and then call it a day.

I don't think you're crazy for wanting to clean up around your house, including the street, but I do assume you don't want to pay to have a piece of the road replaced. I doubt you ruined anything, just seal it and be done with it. (Then lay low )
Old 06-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Flex Seal to the rescue!

Old 06-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #34

ummm, I think the solution is staring you in the face. More oil! Cycled (recycled?) through your car engine. Let's say 10k miles. For economy sake used the rock gut oil. Not the Super Premium Synthetic. Dino oil baby!
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #35
gone traveling

Concerned about oil spots on the street. Just wow. Personally, I can't imagine the thought.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Concerned about oil spots on the street. Just wow. Personally, I can't imagine the thought.
I guess I’m half crazy. It would bother me to see an oil spot, but I don’t think I’d ever consider doing something about it. So, half.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Hence my "strange" comment.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #38

redduck, what HD product did you use? I'd like to look up the MSDS on it, and see what's in it.

I suggest NOT putting oil back onto the spots! If anyone sees you putting oil on the road, and it gets around to the police, a fine mess you may be in!

Is the bleached spot grainier looking than the untouched unstained asphalt?

Micro-wise, in the bleached area, is it only the tops of the small stones that are "bleached", and not the binder between the stones, or is the whole surface "bleached"?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

It will darken.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #40

Duck,
Meant eccentric in the best of ways. You're one of my favorites posters here. Hope I didn't offend.