Hooray. I am Being Noticed on LinkedIn!

Major Tom

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just received an email from LinkedIn with the title, "You're getting noticed". It's funny because I have neither had a regular job, or looked for work, in 12 years now. Of all the groups who I couldn't care less about being noticed by, it's LinkedIn :LOL:

Last edited:
I used to have a LinkedIn account but people kept wanting to hire me. The heck with that! So I closed the LinkedIn account.

My megacorps encourages employees to maintain a LinkedIn account. Lord knows why, but this is a good reminder to delete it ASAP after I semi-FIRE.

I just got another connection request today. If these recruiters read even the very first line of my bio they'd see that I'm retired and neither hiring anyone nor looking for work myself. I'm planning to close my account on August 1, which will be 5 years since I retired and past the time that any of my former employees ought to be using me as a reference.

I keep my LinkeIn account for some vague nostalgic reasons. Mostly since I'm not a Facebook user it allows old friends to track me down - which these days happens maybe once or twice a year. Other than that it's pretty easy to ignore the job related blather that comes from there.

I've said that LinkedIn is like the old (current?) Mafia -- once you join you can never leave. I've unsubscribed, unenrolled etc but I still (10 years later)get those "you've been noticed" and "someone looked at your profile today" notifications.

I’m so sick of salespeople trying to connect with me on LinkedIn. They think I’m the decision maker who can help them get their foot in the door at my company. They are idiots.

I don’t mind former coworkers reaching out, or people who I met at events, or headhunters. But LinkedIn has just become an annoyance because of all these salespeople.

I changed my status to "Private Financial Advisor" (Me) and I still get notices. A lot of places are just resume harvesting for future needs. Whatever.

Never had a Linkedin account. Got plenty of invites, mostly from customer contacts, but never found the need.

I still keep my LinkedIn account. It is more serious and MUCH mess intrusive as compared to other social networks, as far as I am concerned. I liked my job and many of the co-workers and client contacts I made, and like keeping in touch with them, even if it is only once or twice a year. I simply reply to the job offers with my outrageous criteria. So far no one has accepted it, so I'm good. :)

I just received an email from LinkedIn with the title, "You're getting noticed". It's funny because I have neither had a regular job, or looked for work, in 12 years now. Of all the groups who I couldn't care less about being noticed by, it's LinkedIn :LOL:

I deleted my Linkedin at age 75 (25th yr of ER) when someone wanted me to apply for a job.

heh heh heh - sort of forgot. :cool:

I never updated the email addy from my work email. I’d like to log in one last times & then delete the account. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter what your profile says cause it’s read by bots not people and if it contains the key words that are input you will be put on the list.

I hit up LinkedIn each week, or so. I get absolutely no emails from there.

Follow a few tech and financial companies to stay on my game. ��

It's very rare to hear from an old colleague.

I still get notices on occasion even though I have "Retired" in my title.

When I retired, I "changed jobs" on LinkedIn to be a "Retirement Advocate" at "I'm The Boss, Inc."

I still scan it every few days to see how my old co-worker friends are doing. Over the first 2 years of my retirement, I occasionally was contacted to see if I were interested in a new job. I just ignore them.

I keep it due to contacts I do not want to lose track of. And I regularly communicate through its messaging feature. You can just turn off notices.

Still get job invites, though any reading of my profile shows no plans to work.

Not sure why I kept my LinkedIn account active, but a year and a half after I retired, I got an unsolicited contract job offer too good to refuse.

I'm afraid I'd have pretty much the same reaction if somebody offered to hire me on LinkedIn, as I do when handsome men, 15 years younger than myself, want to friend me on FB because of my adorable smile. "Um, what?"

I thought I closed my LinkedIn account, but I still get occasional emails and job offers. However, I am unable to access my account when I try!

Just mark this as spam. Internet companies will quickly stop these practices if they get tagged as spammers.

I keep it due to contacts I do not want to lose track of.

That's the main reason I keep it too - in case someone I used to know wants to get in touch again. There's always the possibility someone will want to give me an easy assignment for high pay but, with each passing year, the likelihood of that grows more and more remote!

Couldn't even log in my account at linkedin. Was my work email address. No longer active after I retired.

Alas, nobody wants to hire me. Boo-hoo, whatever will I do?

I enjoy looking through the feeds every now and then. it helps remind me of all the reasons why I retired from the rat race: the leadership and management lesson posts, the optimizations, reorganizations, networking, blah blah blah...

it also serves to keep me in touch with old colleagues and to see their progress

Back
Top Bottom