Hot Dog Eating Contest

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The annual Coney Island Nathans hot dog eating contest. In person, it was one of the funniest things I ever saw. I watch it on TV every year its still a blast. Tomorrow check your local listings. I hope you laugh and have fun watching it.

OK, the women's highlight was when the girl blew her nose on her own shirt after she ate 25 hot dogs and buns. hahaha

Joey Chestnut for his 10th win and a new record.
The guy is such a phenomenon!
I probably couldn't eat that many hot dogs in a week.

72 hot dogs? I couldn't eat that many in a year. :)

Unless they had some condiments. Either NY or Chicago style is fine, although I took a liking to the kind they serve in some parts of South America. Some slaw, tricolor sauce, chopped onion and shoestring fries or potato sticks.

Sorry to the party-pooper, but I don't see the attraction. I think it is gross, it turns my stomach to watch even a clip on the news. And though I'm not much for "PC", I'm surprised these events haven't gone the way of minstrel shows.

We are told to eat healthy, not waste food, and people gorge themselves like this? For entertainment? I don't get it. We get competing PSAs about obesity and hunger and eating disorders, and then this? How can people celebrate this?

OK, I'll leave now, and go off and drink a little too much beer, and maybe one more brat than I should to celebrate the day, but that's my limit!

-ERD50

They're not the same any more, because they had to stop using tallow, but back in the day Nathan's fries were so awesome that sometimes we would go there just for the fries.

If you remember when McDonald's used tallow to make their fries many years ago, it was the same idea -- everyone raved about them. But Nathan's fries were simply legendary, being thicker and crinkle-cut.

Attachments

• Sonoran-Hotdog.jpg
    Sonoran-Hotdog.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 29
Sorry to the party-pooper, but I don't see the attraction. I think it is gross, it turns my stomach to watch even a clip on the news. And though I'm not much for "PC", I'm surprised these events haven't gone the way of minstrel shows.

I totally agree with you.

We are told to eat healthy, not waste food, and people gorge themselves like this? For entertainment? I don't get it. We get competing PSAs about obesity and hunger and eating disorders, and then this? How can people celebrate this?-ERD50

Just because people tell you what and what not to do doesn't mean you have to listen to them. Much innovation has come from people doing what others said was impossible.

Do what you want to do. Live your own life.

I wonder how come we don't have a lobster eating contest. I wouldn't mind trying.

They do have oyster (raw) eating contests.

That sounds good. But I think I might max out at less than 50 oysters. But of course it depends on the type of oyster, some are plummer than others.

They're not the same any more, because they had to stop using tallow, but back in the day Nathan's fries were so awesome that sometimes we would go there just for the fries.

If you remember when McDonald's used tallow to make their fries many years ago, it was the same idea -- everyone raved about them. But Nathan's fries were simply legendary, being thicker and crinkle-cut.
I remember those McD fries - boy were they tasty. They make a good hot dog (or burger) so much better. :)

I have noticed that fires are better in the south. Crispier, more heavily seasoned. In the midwest you are likely to get fries that are soggier and clearly cooked in a rush.

We are told to eat healthy, not waste food, and people gorge themselves like this? For entertainment? I don't get it. We get competing PSAs about obesity and hunger and eating disorders, and then this? How can people celebrate this?

OK, I'll leave now, and go off and drink a little too much beer, and maybe one more brat than I should to celebrate the day, but that's my limit!

-ERD50
I was there I think in 2010. I had a good view of the stage. I remember seeing hot dog pieces coming out of a contestants nose.:facepalm::LOL:.

They were "the bomb". I remember the cardboard boat they came in and the wooden pitchfork they gave you to eat them. I miss those days.

That sounds good. But I think I might max out at less than 50 oysters. But of course it depends on the type of oyster, some are plummer than others.

I was about 45 years old before I ever ate oysters Rockefeller. They too were terrific. When I got to that restaurant, as soon as I seated I tell the drink taker to put in my order for the oysters Rockefeller as they take a long time to make. Its an off the menu item now most of the time.

Years ago I used to go to Nathan's hot dog in New Jersey . The employees were legendary stupid . I would hand them a five and I would get six dollars change .

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Years ago I used to go to Nathan's hot dog in New Jersey . The employees were legendary stupid . I would hand them a five and I would get six dollars change .

Too funny, That would have been my go to spot when i was broke hahaha:LOL:

-ERD50

Agreed! That said, I have never understood Professional Wrestling either - seems stupid to me, but my BIL thinks it's the most hilarious thing in the world.:nonono: Hey, it's July 4th, so to each their own! :dance:

Last edited:
One of my kid's best friend's parents were into this. And then there's a pancake eating contests.

One of my kid's best friend's parents were into this. And then there's a pancake eating contests.
I was at an old dinner that allowed you to put your name on the wall if you are two of their plate size pancakes.

Took longer for lunch the day the EMTs came to get the fellow out of his coma. He thought he was pre-diabetic.

I was at an old diner that allowed you to put your name on the wall if you are two of their plate size pancakes.

Reminds me of the Big Texan steakhouse in Amarillo. They have a 72 oz. steak (that's over 2 kilos) that is free if you can finish it (along with the sides), all within an hour.

I was at an old dinner that allowed you to put your name on the wall if you are two of their plate size pancakes.

Took longer for lunch the day the EMTs came to get the fellow out of his coma. He thought he was pre-diabetic.
Yeap, the whole family is diabetic or pre-diabetic. Only one kid who is friend with my daughter came to our house one day and it changed her eating habit. She's still slim today. She said she was surprised that we ate lentils with ham for dinner, it's one of my husband's favorite dish. Her whole family eats a lot of fast carb.

Back
Top Bottom