Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2022, 07:32 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Yep, the whole point is to be misleading in advertising.
And make their properties appear higher on the list of choices on travel web sites when sorted by "lowest price." Much like the airlines did with baggage fees.

Years ago I was shopping for a new car and when we sat down to talk numbers the dealer had included a "storage fee." Nope!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You wouldn't be likely to see it unless you're staying at the right kind of hotel in the right kind of location. Average hotels in average places are very unlikely to have this.
At the roadside motels, you're more likely to get billed $3/day for renting the little safe that's bolted down in the room, and things like that. Same game, different scale.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
At the roadside motels, you're more likely to get billed $3/day for renting the little safe that's bolted down in the room, and things like that. Same game, different scale.
Or a deposit for the tv remote. We’ve run into that one in the past but thankfully stay at better hotels now.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:03 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are batting above 50% in getting the resort fee removed when we make the booking.
Step one is to discover the fee in their list, before booking. More difficult if the hotel uses a booking service instead of their own people. Persevere.
Step two is deciding if you are willing to go someplace else if they stick with the fee. Remember that your next choice likely has a similar fee also.
Step three is to call to make the booking. When they tell you about the resort fee (you may have to ask), explain that you're not going to use those services and that you're willing to go someplace else if they stick with the charge.

Good luck to you!
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hate that "nickel and diming" of additional fees. I choose to stay elsewhere from then on. You may want to leave a review about these fees to help others making the decision whether to stay there or not.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:08 PM   #66

OP here, when I got the hotel's email "rate us" I pointed out the hidden fee. They discounted it.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:42 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Or a deposit for the tv remote. We’ve run into that one in the past but thankfully stay at better hotels now.

I look for better places to avoid aircraft noise like Motel 6 next to the San Diego airport. Or Mesa AZ 6 where another guest told me he just got out of the hospital and did I want to drink some Vodka with him? Uh, no thanks.

Probably Marriott next time, but at least the 6 does not have those bogus fees.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:43 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

We stayed at the New Yorker hotel in NYC a couple years ago and experienced the thrill of paying a fee for something we didn’t use.

They are real, and a great way to bait with a perceived low rate.

I don’t recall if we had it removed.

We don’t often stay in high end hotels and this will help justify our retirement travel trailer 😀

Last night we debated our own “dog sitter fee” of $40/day when we travel without DW’s dog. That’s a separate thread……..
a60dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #69
Confused about dryer sheets

A lot of times if you book a hotel with points they will not charge additional taxes and fees, including the resort fee! I recently did this with a Hyatt in Orlando.
cpaBJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:59 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One fee I was able to get removed one time was an airport surcharge when renting a car. If the car rental office is not within the airport grounds and you use the rental agency's shuttle bus, they tack on a surcharge (it was 10% for me). However, because I (and my mom) had arrived via corporate jet (part of the Corporate Angels Network for ill patients who have to fly to other cities for treatment), and they drove us to the rental agency's office, I told the agent and they waived the fee. It didn't matter that we used the shuttle bus after we returned the car because the bill was already done.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:32 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

With all these "stealth" fees, I wonder if those who calculate the inflation rate include these as they are added and increased. It would be easy for the hospitality industry to say "No. We haven't increased our room rates!" YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:46 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyfrizzell1963 View Post
It's the norm in Vegas. Overall, it is dishonest, since it is tacked on afterwards on all rooms. It ought to be illegal.
Yep, drives me nuts because it’s not clearly disclosed upfront! They be forced to display real daily rate with all fees and taxes!
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Does anybody think the major hotel chains would tolerate such hidden fees being added in at the last minute to the contracts they sign with their suppliers of goods and services?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:05 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Does anybody think the major hotel chains would tolerate such hidden fees being added in at the last minute to the contracts they sign with their suppliers of goods and services?
Heh, heh, I guess the major hotels know to ask the question up front. It "takes one to know one" comes to mind. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote