house "very high" for gutter cleaning

retire-early

Full time employment: Posting here.
I called up a local company and asked for a quote for cleaning the gutters on my house.

So, I gave them my address and with Google Maps they can see the house.

The receptionist apparently conferred with her boss and I was told that my house was "very high" and that their quote was $X.

The house is 9 years old and there is nothing unusual about it.
How can the house be "very high"?

I am inclined to think they wanted to see the house to gauge how much they can gouge me with the quote.

Thoughts?

I guess it depends on how they clean the gutters. If they use a vacuum from the ground, height might make it harder, but if they climb on the roof and scoop it out, height shouldn't matter unless the employee is afraid of heights.

Think you misheard - they were saying that they were very high and it would take $x to get them away from the Sponge Bob Squarepants show.

I just did the gutter service yesterday. And he was telling me the same. I realized my house has very high ceiling for each floor. so that would be it. Two company passed not doing it even though I didnt hear why they didnt do.

So I checked thumbtack.com due to seeing the online advertisement alot and my local companies passed me. Yesterday company from thumbtack was cheaper (possibly newly starting need advertising alot) and did a good job.

I sent my son up on the roof with the blower when he came home for a visit 2 weeks ago :LOL::dance::dance:

I sent my son up on the roof with the blower when he came home for a visit 2 weeks ago :LOL::dance::dance:

Yes, the gutter cleaning is not that difficult. even yesterday service guy was doing hand job to cleaning. Also, i did all other houses by myself. But the house yesterday was very high in height and the roof angle was so stiff.

If the roof is not that steep I would do it.

Yes, the gutter cleaning is not that difficult. even yesterday service guy was doing hand job to cleaning. Also, i did all other houses by myself. But the house yesterday was very high in height and the roof angle was so stiff.

If the roof is not that steep I would do it.

Actually, our roof is very steep. We have a 2-story A-frame with a 45 degree angle. That's why I won't go up there but my son is young and sure-footed and has no problems with it.

I used to clean my rental gutters every year, a LOT of leaves etc would be in them, I'd normally just wear gloves and pull out the muck.
I tested on a gutter length this screen and it was clean inside the gutter the next year !!
So I've installed them on all the gutters (when doing the cleaning).

They cost just over 50 cents per foot, and come in 4 foot lengths so easy to handle.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...5126/p-1444444706265-c-5812.htm?tid=-1&ipos=4

filtguttercov2.jpg

I am guessing now that they meant that the roof was steep.

Still getting quotes.

Three quotes so far : $245, $189, $225, $135.

Quite a variation.

I am guessing now that they meant that the roof was steep.

Still getting quotes.

Three quotes so far : $245, $189, $225, $135.

Quite a variation.

Not one of those numbers would bother me, as opposed to the alternative of climbing a ladder. The days of me climbing tall ladders are long gone. I'm happy to pay someone else to do that dangerous work.

I was cleaning gutters 12 years ago when the ladder fell over resulting in two broken legs. The emergency room was filled with injuries worse than mine.

I've been retired from going up on high places.

Our new home has very high gutters, but no 4 acre forest of oak trees like our old home. Gutter cleaning is not required.

I just went down to the local power equipment place and spent $35 on a gutter cleaning attachment for my Stihl blower. Have some very high eaves but using this and my 12' platform ladder I should be able to get them.

We have a high roof.

I have rented a JLG Man Lift and did them myself many years ago.

Since living overseas for the last 17 year, we hired it done for our home in Texas. Now that we are back in the USA - I have realized that I'm not as young, tough and resilient , as I once was - ha ha.....

We hire it done - glad that we are able to pay for the service.

gamboolman.....

Along the lines of @Sunset, but better: Try a product called GutterStuff (https://gutterstuff.com). It is a loose sponge-like material that fills your gutter. Leaves accumulate on the top, then blow away after they dry out. My neighbor has had them for ~12 years, and me for ~8. I have not had to clean either his or mine since then.

We have a walk out basement ranch and I used to walk the roof blowing out the gutters with my leaf blower. Several times a year. Got a new roof last year, and I decided to get Leafguard gutters. I haven't set foot on the roof since.

OP - If you can get by with one cleaning per year, I would take any of the quotes you posted. Great if you can get by on one cleaning per year.

I whine about my HOA dues, but when I read these stories, I recall "doing" my own gutters and then hiring it done when I got "old" - you know, when I was in my late 30s!

So I don't even know IF we have any gutters here in the condo. I can't see 'em but... In any case, thats "one more thing" I don't worry about. S'all good - but YMMV.

Our yard guy cleans our gutters. Single story house with a gentle pitch roof. He goes up with his backpack blower and is done in 15 mins. Charges me $25.

Back
Top Bottom