Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How big is your bird?
Old 11-26-2005, 04:40 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Also, we brined the bird this year (I'm watching way too much FoodNetwork) and it was the best turkey I've ever had. No kidding! I want to do another just to make sure it wasn't and anomaly.

Judy
We have been brining for 2 years now. It is not a fluke - they turn out much better.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2005, 04:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
We have been brining for 2 years now. It is not a fluke - they turn out much better.
Sounds good. It doesn't work on pancakes though.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 07:58 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tony Chachere's butter marinade Cajun injector kit (Walmart). Low heat under foil midnight till at 275 or less. Roast the next day per directions will bread style Peperidge Farm Chicken and Herb stuffing. Stay out of the kitchen and let 'step daughter in spare room' do the work.

Heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
* You stand at the stove with your apron on and display that "I'm rightous AND virtuous" look, before you know it they are outside working and out of your hair.*
--Greg*
Since the spouse does 90% of the cooking these days I'll pass along these tips to him (or maybe NOT).* But, do you put anything-other than turkey-in the soup?? The carcass is still in the fridge, man, and I'm thinking tomorrow is turkey soup day.* Temperatures will be dropping to the 70s here in SO AZ, perfect soup weather.

Judy
Old 11-27-2005, 07:44 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Since the spouse does 90% of the cooking these days I'll pass along these tips to him (or maybe NOT). But, do you put anything-other than turkey-in the soup?? The carcass is still in the fridge, man, and I'm thinking tomorrow is turkey soup day. Temperatures will be dropping to the 70s here in SO AZ, perfect soup weather.

Judy
Rough Turkey soup

A 12 qt. kettle

Put the turkey carcass (w at least two lbs of meat attached to bones, cover w/ water.

Boil/simmer 4-8 hours, the longer the better, the meat gets stringy which you may not like, but we do.

Pick out inedible gunk

Add 3-5 cut up stalks of celery, one carrot, a couple of medium onions. Add a small amount of any other veggie you want, but not too much. Start the reboil. Add some cooked pasta: Martha likes a few big lasagna noodles .

Add seasoning such as pepper or little Italian seasoning and salt as needed. Parsley is nice at this point or chives or green onions, etc.. Add dumpling balls. Simmer/boil for 10-15 minutes until dumplings are done.

Don't forget: husbands enjoy being grabbed at and fondled during the holiday season, especially in the kitchen when no one is looking. That's the other secret ingredient.

--Greg

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Soups on!!! (here in frosty AZ where it's a balmy 500-hey it's almost noon and it's only 500)

As DH says *It tastes so good, 'cause it's made with love*

Judy
Old 11-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Greg,

Had the soup, it was deelish. I love dumplings and just never thought of putting them on turkey soup. Dinner last night and lunch today. So it's Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon--is that */&% turkey gone yet?

Judy
Old 11-30-2005, 04:10 PM   #48

DW says we're (finally) out of turkey! With UNY temps in the unseasonable hi 50's, I'm thinking steak on the barby!