Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

iMac: 1TB Hard drive. I only use 250GB on this one. I run Mac OS X and Windows 7 on it.

1st USB drive: 1TB. This is where I store my iTunes library (715GB)

2nd USB drive: 2TB. This is my backup drive (Time Machine).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the other end of the spectrum, I've got a netbook with:

4GB SSD for the system drive (2.7GB used), and a
16GB for the data drive (4.4GB used),

20GB total avail, ~ 7.1GB used. That includes ~ 1.3GB of photos, but not many other docs.

Despite this small size, it is fairly well equipped. Ubuntu 10.04 OS, and I've got a few simple games, a photo manager, scanner app, a couple browsers, Skype, TeamViewer, OpenOffice, Audacity sound editor, a music jukebox app (like iTunes), WINE ( allows some Windows programs to run), Google SketchUp (3D modeling program), plus the system and admin apps.

It runs all those pretty well.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Laptop with 750GB drive
Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Laptop with 750GB drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess I need to generate and save more bytes!
Our two grand-kids help with that. With pictures and video our collection grows at 52GB per year. Throw in a wedding and the old 320GB drive is out of space. I just got a new laptop with 750GB drive to help with storage.
I used to archive to CDs and DVDs, but found that unreliable over time, and time consuming. It's really easy to backup to 3TB USB3 drive - just let it rip - don't have to feed it blank disks. The backup drive is also small enough to keep in bug-out bag.
Windows 7 with other programs installed needs about 120GB, so that is my C: partition. (my systemdisk has grown over the years: Win95 -Win7) I also set up 15GB SwapDisk on S: to keep it out of C:. That leaves 530GB for Data on D:. Lets remember that new computers come without CDs, so they make a recovery partition, like 25GB. It all takes space and it's not a problem nowadays.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A little tangent, but my iPod currently has about 47 GB of music. It will take me over 35 days straight through to listen to all my songs. I sometimes wonder how much music is too much.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I just bought a new computer.

C drive is just program is a 256GB SS drive (once you've had SS you don't want to run your programs from anything else). My D drive is 2 TB of which I have 1.14 TB free.

As you can see I could have made do with 1 TB data drive but the cost to upgrade to 2TB was very cheap and I didn't want to have to stress about having enough space. Main things that take up space are photos and videos (most videos that I bought).

I also have a 2 TB external drive that I use to backup stuff. Used to have one smaller but it wasn't big enough...
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
A little tangent, but my iPod currently has about 47 GB of music. It will take me over 35 days straight through to listen to all my songs. I sometimes wonder how much music is too much.
I'm at 33GB as you may have noted in post #1. I'll never get to 47GB, good to know someone has spent more on music than I have...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote