Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How 'bout those grammy awards?!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How 'bout those grammy awards?!

Barbara Streisand and Mick Jagger were awesome. I am sort of embarrassed to admit it, but I really liked Lady Gaga's performance as well as Eminem/Rihanna. I thought Cee Lo Green and Gwyneth Paltrow were a hoot singing "Forget You". I was surprised that Eminem and Justin Bieber didn't win more, but I was pleased to see Miranda Lambert's "House that Built Me", and Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" rewarded. Was bewildered with Arcade Fire's Grammy for best album...never heard of them...must be getting old. Sigh
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I tuned in just in time to see Mick Jagger and Barbra Streisand in HD on my new 58" HDTV (just discovered that I have free HD channels for my local stations). Wow! It was almost like they were in my house. Loved it. Mick is amazing, as always, and he sure gets a workout when he performs. That's probably how he stays so thin. Barbra amazed me once again with her voice, which seems not to have changed over all these years. Her rendition of Evergreen was lovely.

The Rihanna/Eminem performance was good but so overtly sexual. On the other hand, is that bad? I guess not and I guess that is to be expected, but for me that aspect was an OMG and not necessary.

Didn't see Lady Gaga!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I tuned in about half through. I don't have the music gene in my DNA and rarely listen to any music but whenever I see a show like this I am amazed at how incredibly talented so many people are. And new talent just keeps coming. Even my tin ear can hear so many genres being pitch perfect and performance-wise, spectacular. There seemed to be a lot of respect among the musicians for each other, too--the audience was on its feets for Jagger, Streisand (and probably the Aretha Franklin tribute at the beginning, although I didn't see it).

Everything is explicit these days--we are fogies! I'm not letting DH see that Rihanna's moves

DH (who has the music gene) knows Arcade Fire very well (I was also going "Arcade who?" when they won).
Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thought it was a very disappointing evening. Too long of a show as usual.

The Lady Antebellum songs seems to have been around forever. What's the cutoff on these songs being considered for a grammy? Song was released in mid 2009 for chrissakes!
RockyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH (who has the music gene) knows Arcade Fire very well (I was also going "Arcade who?" when they won).
I had never heard of them, either. I wasn't very impressed with their performance afterwards, but maybe their recordings are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn
Too long of a show as usual.
I agree! I was glad that I didn't tune into the show until the last part of it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad Neil Young finally got an award. He's an amazing talent. One of many Canadian musicians I adore - Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell and Sara McLachlan just to name a few.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I tuned in just in time to see Mick Jagger and Barbra Streisand in HD on my new 58" HDTV (just discovered that I have free HD channels for my local stations). Wow! It was almost like they were in my house. Loved it. Mick is amazing, as always, and he sure gets a workout when he performs. That's probably how he stays so thin. Barbra amazed me once again with her voice, which seems not to have changed over all these years. Her rendition of Evergreen was lovely.

The Rihanna/Eminem performance was good but so overtly sexual. On the other hand, is that bad? I guess not and I guess that is to be expected, but for me that aspect was an OMG and not necessary.

Didn't see Lady Gaga!
Rihanna performed twice last night, the first time with Eminem "Love the Way You Lie", and she wore a beautiful gown. Eminem went on to perform "I Need a Doctor" with Dr. Dre. Later in the show, Rihanna performed again with Drake and OMG, it was a sexual overload. An internet search for Rihanna will pull up both performances, but I bet the one with Drake gets the most hits!

I don't know exactly how to upload a link, but I'll try. Maybe the moderaters will help!

Rihanna and Drake:

Eminim and Rihanna with Dr. Dra:

(Video) Eminem Grammy performance 2011 with Rihanna and Dr. Dre

Lady Gaga's "Born This Way":

Lady Gaga Grammy Performance 2011 (VIDEO)

What can I say, Barbara and Mick were exceptional! As usual!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

OK, it was the performance with Drake that I saw, then! See how little I know? I enjoyed it but it was so over-the-top sexually that I would have liked it better toned down.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the Dr. Drake dance was on when I sent DH to the kitchen to make coffee .

DH did say the Arcade Fire song was a weird one. I just said hey, they're all weird to me!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yeah, the Dr. Drake dance was on when I sent DH to the kitchen to make coffee .

DH did say the Arcade Fire song was a weird one. I just said hey, they're all weird to me!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I hate award shows... But since DW is on an extended business trip, 1) I didn't have to suffer through the grammys and 2) I didn't have to spring for chocolates and roses on valentine's day. I hate valentine's day anyways. Darn I start to sound like a curmudgeon. Now get off my lawn kids, especially that Bieber kid and his friends who are whining because he didn't win...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #12

Having been a fan of Barbra Streisand from her start in "I Can Get It For You Wholesale" I think it's time she hung up her microphone. Her nervousness in appearing before large audiences was very apparent and the fact that she rarely performs or practices any more was very obvious in the uneveness of her voice.. And what the hell where they thinking having Dylan perform with those young dudes who drowned him out? Dylan is like a fine wine that should be savored.

Do you wonder how many of the people that appeared or won Grammies you would remember in 50 years like you do Streisand, Jagger & Dylan? I think the answer is 0.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #13

I have to admit I was happy to hear, I'd never watch this, all the biggies got skunked! Lady Gaga, Eminem, Justin Bieber, they were probably expected to walk away with everything? I have to admit I really like Gaga's music and I think her fashion style is amazing but like all really brilliant creative people she is totally crazy.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=veremchuka I have to admit I really like Gaga's music and I think her fashion style is amazing but like all really brilliant creative people she is totally crazy.[/QUOTE]

Agree. I like her music a lot more than I like watching her perform, but she's never dull.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I have to admit I was happy to hear, I'd never watch this, all the biggies got skunked! Lady Gaga, Eminem, Justin Bieber, they were probably expected to walk away with everything? I have to admit I really like Gaga's music and I think her fashion style is amazing but like all really brilliant creative people she is totally crazy.
I find Gaga very entertaining. I like her performances and crazy outfits too for the most part. The major exception being the raw meat dress
Yuk.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #16

I love the Eminem and Rihanna song "I Love The Way You Lie" but I like the full song in the music video -

Eminem : 'Love The Way You Lie' ft. Rihanna | Video Premiere

Some day I'd like to see Eminem crack a smile or laugh out loud. Poor guy always seems really angry. I hope it's just his public persona.

I like Eminem's art form, I'm not a fan of rap but I like some of his songs. I used to play his music LOUD and clean the house.

I loved the Lady Gaga performance! On 60 Minutes there was a great interview of her with Anderson Cooper.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7346544n
Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I absolutely loved this performance:

Gwyneth Paltrow: ‘Forget You’ Grammy Performance with Cee Lo Green! | 2011 Grammy Awards, Cee Lo Green, Gwyneth Paltrow : Just Jared
Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I don't know exactly how to upload a link, but I'll try. Maybe the moderaters will help!

Rihanna and Drake:
That girl got thigh! Banish all those Twiggy types all around Hollywood and give us Rhihanna clones, nada mas.

Ha
Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I think it's time she hung up her microphone. Her nervousness in appearing before large audiences was very apparent and the fact that she rarely performs or practices any more was very obvious in the uneveness of her voice..
I don't know if she needs to hang up the mic, and I thought she sounded good last night but I also thought her voice is not quite what it used to be. Not much sustain left, the long notes aren't there anymore, unless that's all nerves. Still her aged voice is better than most singers could ever hope for. I never cared for her genre, but I have a few Streisand songs on my iPod, and there is no denying she has one of the greatest voices ever. Probably obscure in her body of work, but her version of Somewhere (West Side Story) sends chills down my spine every time.

Dylan OTOH is just comical now. One of the great songwriters of all time, but his voice has never been stellar. Even in his early days I always used to laugh and think to myself he can't really be trying, he has to be able to sing better than this, it has to be some inside joke. But I still listened to him, testament to how good the songs were that you could overlook the voice. Now he sounds scary, last night his voice was unbelievably rough, but at least he seems to be remembering the words (or can read a prompter) now. There was a period mid-career when he couldn't get the words out...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, Ha, if you liked Rihanna's full thighs, you're gonna love Beyonce's: