How can I get Google Maps attention?

I don't know how handy you are, @pb4ski
I have a vision of an remote operated entry cable gate, using a couple of posts set back out of the way, a couple of heavy weights to put the cable down out of the way, and an ATV winch with remote control. That way you could put the posts where you need in your limited space, and not have to figure out swinging a gate ( which sounds impossible anyway), and do it from your vehicle. Put plenty of vertical flags on it to warn people off.

How to protect Your Property

Please don't try to sue Google. It would be a total waste of money and time. And letters to them won't work. Even my DH, who retired from Google, couldn't get them to fix the misnumbering of addresses on our block in case an emergency vehicle needed to find a specific house. They are too big to fight. They don't care that you are being inconvenienced. They're frankly more interested in promoting their political biases than anything else.

However, as the owner of that deeded drive, you have every right to install a gate across the entrance to keep traffic out! Post "NO OUTLET" signs on the other end. I urge you to do this soon because I wonder if the longer you allow other people to use your property, the less likely you can enforce your ownership thanks to "adverse possession" laws.

Good luck!

So you're suggesting that Google is above the law? That doesn't sound right to me.

So you're suggesting that Google is above the law? That doesn't sound right to me.

Google has long history of anti trust violations and other illegalities, in addition to their many moral failings.

No, I'm suggesting that practically speaking Google has such deep pockets it won't hurt them to fight a lawsuit, but it could really harm the OP's finances to move forward with one. With no guarantee of a favorable resolution. The money for a lawsuit would be better spent on gates and signage.

In our state, we have what's called the "Purple Ribbon" law. Landowners tie plastic purple ribbons to fencing, trees, whatever, to warn would be trespassers that they are about to enter private property without permission.

I don't see how it would harm my finances. It's not like I'm looking for money from them... I just want them to fix the map which is unquestionably wrong. Hard to imagine Amy legitimate counterclaim to try that.

Those google maps need to be updated every few years. If you can prevent the google car from going down the same path perhaps it will automatically get updated.

Sorry, but the dire “prescriptive easement” warnings are hilariously overwrought.

In addition to meeting the other requirements for such an easement, in Vermont the use has to be continuous for 15 years; in Florida, the use has to be for 20 years.

I don't see how it would harm my finances. It's not like I'm looking for money from them... I just want them to fix the map which is unquestionably wrong. Hard to imagine Amy legitimate counterclaim to try that.

I'm just saying it'll cost more to sue them than to put up a gate and signage. Unless you happen to be an attorney yourself.

Update.

We've been home about a month and the incursions have been infrequent other than one commercial vehicle the other day doing work at a neighbors and I walked down and informed him and he apologized and I told him that it wasn't his fault because he didn't know.

I'm about to order two 24"x24" signs.... square but in stop sign red background with white lettering.

The sign at driveway entrance from Clark Rd will read:

PRIVATE
DRIVEWAY
------------
Google Maps is wrong!

Access Lois Lane
via Daily Planet Rd
------------
Visitors Only
Beyond This Point

The sign at the end of Lois Lane (near our house) will read:

PRIVATE
DRIVEWAY
------------
Google Maps is wrong!

Please turn around and
exit via Lois Lane
------------
Visitors Only
Beyond This Point

Not sure if it will help but it is worth a try.

ETA: I have "Google Maps is wrong!" on each sign and forgot to put it in the post...added it.

Last edited:
Just a stray thought, but I wouldn't use the word "Visitors" because that might cause some to think it's a commercial facility and visitors might be welcome.

Instead, I would use "Residents and Guests Only" to be very clear that it was a private home.

Just a stray thought, but I wouldn't use the word "Visitors" because that might cause some to think it's a commercial facility and visitors might be welcome.

Instead, I would use "Residents and Guests Only" to be very clear that it was a private home.
I had the very same thought.

^^ Not much else you can do, it should help a lot, and I hope it does.

Update.

We've been home about a month and the incursions have been infrequent other than one commercial vehicle the other day doing work at a neighbors and I walked down and informed him and he apologized and I told him that it wasn't his fault because he didn't know.
<snip>
Good luck with the signs! But this part reminded me, how well do you know your nieighbors? I might ask the closest ones to instruct visitors to come via Daily Planet Drive to Lois Lane, for example, or whatever doesn't take them through your property. (I'm still having trouble picturing it in my head.)

The neighbors are very good about letting their guests know to visit them via the Dailey Planet Rd entrance to Lois Lane and going back the way they came... so the incursions by our neighbors or their guests are negligible... just when a guest forgets or didn't get the message.

It seems to be people just riding around looking at the summer homes possibly looking for "for rent" or "for sale" signs and more recently due the the Google Maps snafu, people/service providers who punched in a neighbor's property who are blindly following Google Maps.

Another Update:

DW talked me out of including "Google Maps is wrong!" on the signs... even though they are.

I did order and install the signs back in June and incursions have been few and far between. So far so good. I did happen to be in the garage when one vehicle started going up the driveway and I yelled at her and she stopped. I informed her that she was on a private driveway and she said she was just following Google Maps :mad: I asked her to turn around an go back the way she came and she did. I'm not sure if she missed the sign or ignored it and didn't bother to ask.

The sign at driveway entrance from Clark Rd reads:

PRIVATE DRIVEWAY
123 Clark Road
------------
This is NOT Lois Lane!

Access Lois Lane
via Daily Planet Rd
------------
123 Clark Road Only
Beyond This Point

The sign at the end of Lois Lane (near our house) reads:

PRIVATE DRIVEWAY
123 Clark Road
------------
This is NOT Lois Lane!

Please turn around and
exit via Lois Lane
------------
123 Clark Road Only
Beyond This Point

We also plan to pave the driveway in the next month or so and that should further differentiate the driveway from the adjacent roads (which are unpaved).

People who are misguided enough to drive up your lane may not have the mental acuity to understand your sign. Maybe a simple "Private Property - Do not Enter" sign would be better understood.

I can't remember if you already tried a simple sign.

Yes.... like this sign that they been driving past for years?

One would think that is pretty clear... but it isn't very big... only 9"w x 12" h.

The new signs are 24" w x 18" h and are stop sign red with white lettering.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 35
I really hope the new signs work. It would work on me even if a map application tried to send me onto your private drive…

Yes.... like this sign that they been driving past for years?

One would think that is pretty clear... but it isn't very big... only 9"w x 12" h.

The new signs are 24" w x 18" h and are stop sign red with white lettering.

That sign should have worked. Maybe it is too small for people driving to see.

Hope your new sign gets better results!

Hope it works out sound like it is so far. I didn't go back and read through all the posts. If it is private land, why not use the simple signage and fence, plant trees, vegetation blockage of what is designated your land?

Go back to the first post... we were the last house on a private road but had frontage on a public road and then we put in a driveway from the public road down to our house... and people who don't know any better think our private driveway is an extension of the private road.

I would block it off but we really don't have room at the bottom of the private driveway by the garage to do that and have space to turn around... especially for delivery trucks.

Go back to the first post... we were the last house on a private road but had frontage on a public road and then we put in a driveway from the public road down to our house... and people who don't know any better think our private driveway is an extension of the private road.

I would block it off but we really don't have room at the bottom of the private driveway by the garage to do that and have space to turn around... especially for delivery trucks.

Thanks!!
Might have to live with some trespass if not specifically designated what is yours and public.

Back
Top Bottom