How did avocados get so incredibly expensive?

Oh!
You're welcome😃

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Maybe the avacado eaters are the ones paying for the wall!:D

Hass Avocados are a buck each, all day long here at all the fruit stands. Im not an avocado expert so these might be small scrawny ones, just I saw them this morning next to my Italian frying peppers I bought. I remember a story when the "Mob" controlled the price of Artichokes. Lotsa money in some of these green fruits and veggies.

DW and I drove through Castroville CA," the artichoke capital of the world",10 days ago. If the "Mob" is controlling the price, they got some serious green coming in! They were as far as the eye could see in all directions.

Maybe the avacado eaters are the ones paying for the wall!:D

DW and I drove through Castroville CA," the artichoke capital of the world",10 days ago. If the "Mob" is controlling the price, they got some serious green coming in! They were as far as the eye could see in all directions.

Almost all of the Artichokes grown in USA are grown in Castroville. Its that perfect Mediterranean Climate in Monterrey County.

I don't know about avocado prices, but have you ever tried avocado slices with soy sauce and wasabi? When avocado was introduced in Japan years and years ago, that's how everyone used to eat them (I would say this recipe was definitely trending.) - Eating this dish is like eating Toto (the fatty belly of the tuna, which is the most expensive part of tuna) sashimi. Very close in flavor IMO and many Japanese people's opinion. The avocado is a cheap man's toro.

While you're at it, pick up some roasted nori and spread some vinegared short grain rice on it. Place your avocado on it along with maybe some crab, scallions and mayo. Roll it up and cut into bite size pieces. Dip in soy sauce. Mmmmm, Sushi.

I don't know about avocado prices, but have you ever tried avocado slices with soy sauce and wasabi? When avocado was introduced in Japan years and years ago, that's how everyone used to eat them (I would say this recipe was definitely trending.) - Eating this dish is like eating Toto (the fatty belly of the tuna, which is the most expensive part of tuna) sashimi. Very close in flavor IMO and many Japanese people's opinion. The avocado is a cheap man's toro.

Never have eaten avocado that way, I usually just eat it plain. But that wasabi makes avocado look free by comparison. I saw it last week in Uwajimaya for $99 per pound!
Ha

Never have eaten avocado that way, I usually just eat it plain. But that wasabi makes avocado look free by comparison. I saw it last week in Uwajimaya for $99 per pound!
Ha
That's the good stuff. Most places use a dyed horseradish.

That's the good stuff. Most places use a dyed horseradish.
This $99 stuff is the root, just like some places sell horseradish root. Grate your own. I have likely never eaten real wasabi.

Ha

It's not just avocados. What happened to artichokes? I ate them as a kid all the time now I have to pay $2.50 to eat leaves! What gives?

It's not just avocados. What happened to artichokes? I ate them as a kid all the time now I have to pay $2.50 to eat leaves! What gives?

I think (?) that artichokes and avocados are both grown mainly in California. If that is true, then perhaps weather and/or the local economy may be affecting both.

This $99 stuff is the root, just like some places sell horseradish root. Grate your own. I have likely never eaten real wasabi.

Ha
I only had it once at a sushi place we are at weekly. They had some, special event, and brought some over. Different, it's flavor probably lost on my palete.

Ha

Wow, $99/lbs for the real wasabi root sounds ridiculous, but maybe that's what they go for nowadays? My family used to frequent a very well-known, fancy soba shop in the outskirts of Tokyo when I was in high school (we saw actors and a politician dining there on different occasions) and they served a small green wasabi root with a grater with their cold soba dishes. I remember the real wasabi to be milder than the dyed kind and it had more fragrance, but I certainly wouldn't pay $99/lbs for it. I might try it if it was $9/lbs LOL.

Anyway I read on San Jose Mercury 15 or 20 years ago that someone in NY was trying to cultivate or cultivating wasabi roots . Evidently, it is very difficult to grow them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
The millennial generation has an affinity for avocado toast (just google it) generating excess demand.

It's a lot like chicken wings.

Once upon a time, the wing was almost given away and it was the cheapest part of the bird, mostly because there was so little meat on it relative to most other parts. But once buffalo wings and other forms of wings as appetizers took off, they became just about the most expensive part. And that's even tougher than avocados, because you can't produce more chicken wings without creating a glut of other chicken parts where demand and supply are already in balance.

The high end sushi bar in town offers fresh wasabi for $1 extra. I always get it.

Back
Top Bottom