Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Intelius, a database which correlates public records, is how they connect the dots. Intelius has different levels of access. Anybody can do a people search online for free, and get your name, age, address, and (if listed) phone #. Real estate agents, detectives, and others can pay for deeper access.

(I don't know much more than that).

If the call had come to our landline, it would not have puzzled me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
No telling how they connect the dots.

Have you ever done an internet search on yourself using just a name and the name of a town you once lived in? It is amazing how much data is out there. Some of it true some of it is just plain out wrong.

A quick search just got me my telephone numbers, My current address (along with all of my previous addresses back over 45 years ago, my high school and graduating year, my family and one more person at my house I don't know, possibly a family member
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I found my cell # in my late husband's credit records after he died. I'd reported his death to the 3 major bureaus and one sent me a copy of his credit report. All I can figure is that he provided it to a hospital or doctor as an emergency contact- he didn't have a cell phone and didn't want one. I'm very protective of that number and was really annoyed that it got put into the credit records.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

For the first few years that I had my cell phone, I never, ever got spam. I never gave my cell phone to anybody except a handful of friends and relatives. Doctors' offices and such only got my landline. So, I got spam on my landline, but never on my cell phone.

Then, I wanted a flu vaccination at CVS (who only had my landline). CVS *insisted* on getting my cell phone number too, before they would give me the flu shot. I said no, there was no reason for it. They said "oh but yes there is, Medicare requires that we get both your landline and cell phone number before we vaccinate you!" I think that is a load of baloney but gave it to them. A week or two later, I started getting frequent spam calls which continue to this day.

I think it was not CVS, but their employee who probably sold my cell phone number and it ended up in some sort of spammers' database. But then, that is just my speculation. Who knows how cell phone numbers get spread around.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
....Who knows how cell phone numbers get spread around.
I'm sure it was Tommy Tutone.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm sure it was Tommy Tutone.
That must be it! Why didn't I think of that

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:42 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This may not apply to the OP's specific example, but there's one thing everyone needs to realize:

The scammers don't need to be given your phone number!!

They have computers which dial EVERY number in a sequence. When one is answered, that call is transferred to an operator, or another computer which plays the recorded scam message.

They're gonna dial every number. They don't need to "get" your number from anywhere.

You might ask: Is this legal? Why would a crook care whether it is or not?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This may not apply to the OP's specific example, but there's one thing everyone needs to realize:

The scammers don't need to be given your phone number!!

They have computers which dial EVERY number in a sequence. When one is answered, that call is transferred to an operator, or another computer which plays the recorded scam message.

They're gonna dial every number. They don't need to "get" your number from anywhere.

You might ask: Is this legal? Why would a crook care whether it is or not?
Remember the 1983 movie "War Games," where Matthew Broderick hacked into a government computer system using an automatic dialer which dialed every number in sequence until it got connected to one his own computer could communicate with? These things have been around for over 30 years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
How do they know it’s “you”….because you have a connection to some address?
I got a text with a request to buy a house at a certain address in my neighborhood, but I do not own that house and it is not connected to me in any way.

The text basically said...

"Hello I am X and I am interested in buying the property at 123 Main Street, do you have an interest in selling that property?"

My response was...

"Thank you for your interest. Yes, I do have an interest in selling that property, unfortunately I do not own it."
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

What I find interesting is, when I had to get a new cell number. The calls I got were for the previous owner of that number.

So, if someone discontinues their cell or phone number, it must just go back out to someone else.

I do beleive people that keep changing phone numbers, are people that are on the run from something. So, people have to deal with agencies looking for that person that had that number, and that number maybe the one you have.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I got a text with a request to buy a house at a certain address in my neighborhood, but I do not own that house and it is not connected to me in any way.
Well, yeah, you can get a "wrong number" with text just as you could with old-fashioned phones. I've gotten a few. I answer them politely, it could happen to me, too!

I have a GMail account that's my name (scored that one early) and I occasionally get mail for someone with the same name. I once got a PADI (diving) certificate, a quote for some home repairs, that sort of thing. Again, I know what happened, no big deal.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I do believe people that keep changing phone numbers, are people that are on the run from something. So, people have to deal with agencies looking for that person that had that number, and that number maybe the one you have.
Oh, yeah. I got a company-issued Blackberry around 2010 and almost immediately started getting calls for the previous owner. She didn't show up at work, had overdue library books and was behind on her student loans. I left that company in 2012 and I don't think those calls ever stopped. I was happy to give up that number.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:18 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Remember the 1983 movie "War Games," where Matthew Broderick hacked into a government computer system using an automatic dialer which dialed every number in sequence until it got connected to one his own computer could communicate with? These things have been around for over 30 years.

Can you imagine how many more phone numbers exist today then in 1984? Good thing computers are faster too.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I have searched on the internet for my phone number and it is associated with some stranger. I still get occasional calls from debt collectors for this person. I have had some fun with those . Recently - chalk it up to the good real estate market - I have been getting those "we like your house can we buy it" texts addressed for him.

I have had this cell number for close to 25 years, and I have no idea how it became associated with this person. At least it is unlikely the number will ever be connected to me on the internet, which is a good thing .
Old 08-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
What I find interesting is, when I had to get a new cell number. The calls I got were for the previous owner of that number.
I got lucky. Our old land-line number is in a "discontinued" exchange which will never be re-assigned. I haven't had a land line in probably 10 years.

But, you know those places which ask for a "home number" even though you never want them to call you? I have the perfect number to give them. It'll always be associated with me in their system, but I won't get any spam calls on it.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

^ Lol. I bet that works good.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had this happen for someone wanting to buy my place in this hot, hot market. I think they were hoping to find some ignorant old lady who did not know what her home was worth so they could buy and flip or turn it into a rental so they could cash in. I replied that if they could not offer at least $X (about 75K above current value) to lose my number. Never heard from them again.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Anytime you offer your phone number as a contact for a business transaction, it can be sold to advertisers or given to associated businesses.

If that's not bad enough, texters & spammers & telemarketers set up computerized auto-dialers that call every number in an area code. They'll get you, even if you sign up for the Do Not Call list. It won't be legal if they ignore that list, and you'll have an option to report them--IF they share their telephone number and don't hide it.

Either get a throw-away phone number for a "business" phone, or accept you're going to be called/texted. I no longer answer any number not on my Contacts list in my phone. Folks are welcome to leave a message if they wish. I may return their communication. Or I might not.
newlyold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
For the first few years that I had my cell phone, I never, ever got spam. I never gave my cell phone to anybody except a handful of friends and relatives. Doctors' offices and such only got my landline. So, I got spam on my landline, but never on my cell phone.

Then, I wanted a flu vaccination at CVS (who only had my landline). CVS *insisted* on getting my cell phone number too, before they would give me the flu shot. I said no, there was no reason for it. They said "oh but yes there is, Medicare requires that we get both your landline and cell phone number before we vaccinate you!" I think that is a load of baloney but gave it to them. A week or two later, I started getting frequent spam calls which continue to this day.

I think it was not CVS, but their employee who probably sold my cell phone number and it ended up in some sort of spammers' database. But then, that is just my speculation. Who knows how cell phone numbers get spread around.
I just tell companies I don't have a cell phone if I don't want to give out the number.
Not everyone has one.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, I get robo calls (I assume) all the time. No longer answer any number not in my register so can't be sure, but the ACs are from all over. Occasionally, the robot leaves a message and it's always a sales pitch or obvious scam ("you are about to be turned over to a collection agency, etc.....) I just assume it's a robot that tries every number in the AC (before moving on to the next AC.) Who knows, really. I get a few texts as well, but they are so obviously scams that they are easy to deal with. YMMV
I installed the free T-Mobile spam blocker app, hardly get spam calls now. Unfortunately I do get spam texts.
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Back to the original question: "But how did they get my cell #? There isn't any directory for cell #'s, or is there?"

fastpeoplesearch.com

I used it during the 2020 Census many times when I was sent to a gated property (whether small or a massive ranch) to try to reach to the resident. It will normally list a handful of numbers and sometimes one works. There are other sites that do similar things but this was the one I used most.
bq1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, public records, search, smartphone