Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
We usually start our trip with a limousine pick up at the house.

Separate check-in line for FC (some airports also have a separate security entry that they don't tell you about) and the lounge for a drink. If it's international, we're often able to board directly from the lounge without going upstairs with the crowd.

Yes, it's still a plane ride but most of the hassle that makes it 'bloody' is removed and we just try to make it part of the experience.
+1. But we Uber to the airport and limo home. The Uber PU point at CLT is FUBAR (major construction). And yeah, It's still flying and can be problematic. Just like driving when an 18 wheeler flips on ice and completely blocks the road until a huge wrecker gets it moved 4 hours later..... after an all day flight. We are usually very content being in the pointy end of the plane. Seldom any crying adults (we don't mind the babies) or drama kings/queens. Just tired, upgraded road warriors dreaming of retirement.

As for the flying hassles, been there - done that - got the t-shirt.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
+1. But we Uber to the airport and limo home. The Uber PU point at CLT is FUBAR (major construction). And yeah, It's still flying and can be problematic. Just like driving when an 18 wheeler flips on ice and completely blocks the road until a huge wrecker gets it moved 4 hours later..... after an all day flight. We are usually very content being in the pointy end of the plane. Seldom any crying adults (we don't mind the babies) or drama kings/queens. Just tired, upgraded road warriors dreaming of retirement.

As for the flying hassles, been there - done that - got the t-shirt.
Used to do the night Amsterdam>Narita run over Siberia quite a bit. Had a few flights all alone upstairs in the 747 looking out the window. Just me and a flight attendant.
Mystical experiences watching the Aurora Borealis and seeing those small villages below out in the middle of nowhere...sunrise over Korea.
Wrote an entire essay on it.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Would flying be more tolerable if you had a state room and dining areas, but it took a day or three to get to your destination? That is what things were like in the earliest days of air travel in a Zeppelin.

Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:13 AM   #124
Administrator

Ever since I first learned of them, I have wanted to fly in a Zeppelin. What a splendid way to travel.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:12 AM   #125
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The woman was, apparently, drunk, and had been in a shouting match with her B/F all day, so it's not too farfetched to consider that she may have thrown a hissy fit and jumped....to 'show him'.

CCTV footage might well appear if the need arises.

(We had a deliberate jumper on one ship....body was never recovered.)
I'd heard that she had violated the formal night dress code so was forced to walk the plank.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Don't get swept overboard.

Last week, read about a woman falling off a cruise ship, and threading water for 10 hours before being rescued.

Just today, similar story about a man swimming for 7 hours.

How the heck did that happen? And how lucky they were to be noticed when falling, and then found bobbing in the ocean?

One the reasons DW and I have been hesitant to book our first cruise . Then again, we are not drinkers so maybe that will keep us from this fate...
Old 08-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

You would have to deliberately climb over the deck rail, or your cabin's balcony, to go into the water on the only cruise ship we have been on.

Our package included (not by our choice) a drinks package with an upper limit of 15 drinks per day - per person! So presumably the ships are designed with that in mind (So were the cocktails - more sugar water than alcohol, I'm afraid).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
One the reasons DW and I have been hesitant to book our first cruise . Then again, we are not drinkers so maybe that will keep us from this fate...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Our package included (not by our choice) a drinks package with an upper limit of 15 drinks per day - per person! So presumably the ships are designed with that in mind (So were the cocktails - more sugar water than alcohol, I'm afraid).
Wow- I don't think I could drink that much if I tried- even if they were liberally laced with sugar water. Drinks packages are definitely priced for the Party-Till-U-Puke crowd.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

I tolerate flying by living in a boring AF place like TX.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Never cared much for flying (mostly ear pain issues). I've done a number of trips the last couple of years where I will rent a car (dropping car at or near destination) and taking Amtrak back. I can combine the adventure of a road trip with the ease of letting someone else drive on the way back.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Wow- I don't think I could drink that much if I tried- even if they were liberally laced with sugar water. Drinks packages are definitely priced for the Party-Till-U-Puke crowd.
We've sailed a number of times on CDF/Pullmantur where certain drinks are included, and have often/regularly had a cold can of Mexican beer at dinnertime....and, gasp, if we've been ashore on a particularly hot day, perhaps one upon our return.

15 a day? I'd be comatose after day one. (OK, OK, most people figure I'm comatose without the drink(s).)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:44 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

We had free drinks on our last cruise, and I took only 2 per day. A glass of wine for dinner, and a gin tonic for the evening show.

It is not easy to fall off the ship, unless one tries. But I was thinking of Nemo2 taking a selfie outside during a storm like this.

Inside the ship, it looks like this.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #133

Flying is a pain in the butt, but it beats the alternative at times. From SFO to DEN you're trading 3 hours of discomfort for 3 days of driving.
I fly very little these days as I like to travel with the dog. Just drove California to New York last week and I'm still exhausted. I "might" be getting to old for solo cross country drives. Once the dog passes I'll be flying for my California visits.
Amtrak would be a great way to travel if they could run on time.
I like the Zepplin option, but TSA would probably still insist on molesting me on boarding.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is not easy to fall off the ship, unless one tries. But I was thinking of Nemo2 taking a selfie outside during a storm like this.
Unless they're unforeseen rogue waves, the ships usually change course to avoid really inclement weather.....on one trip we bypassed the Faroes because of conditions.......still hit by 35-40 foot waves.

Nowadays outside access is restricted/denied at practically the first sign of a white cap. (Sissies. )

Old 08-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Then I got a pop-up message advising me that if I wanted to bring a bag to put in the overhead bin, there would be an add'l fee. So it appears we've gone from add'l charges for checked bags to add'l charges for carry-on bags.

There can also be an extra charge for sitting together with your spouse. I found that out on our last trip. Lena and I weren't seated together, and my cynical mind decided that United intentionally seated us apart so that we'd spend money to sit together (which we didn't do).

IOW, it's an extortion racket, like the mob: "It would be a shame if youse and your wife couldn't sit togetha. For a small fee, we can make sure that youse two ain't separated."
Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There can also be an extra charge for sitting together with your spouse. I found that out on our last trip. Lena and I weren't seated together, and my cynical mind decided that United intentionally seated us apart so that we'd spend money to sit together (which we didn't do).

IOW, it's an extortion racket, like the mob: "It would be a shame if youse and your wife couldn't sit togetha. For a small fee, we can make sure that youse two ain't separated."
Or you can look at it as a $20-$50 discount for not sitting together and not using the overhead bin.

I think you just ran into the new “basic economy” experience.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Or you can look at it as a $20-$50 discount for not sitting together and not using the overhead bin.

I think you just ran into the new “basic economy” experience.
We long ago decided that, since we both attempt to zone out as soon as we're on the plane, that we'll sit where we can, when we can, if the price is right.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

When I book our plane tickets I choose 2 seats together and never had to pay to sit together. Paying to take a carry on bag is ridiculous.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When I book our plane tickets I choose 2 seats together and never had to pay to sit together. Paying to take a carry on bag is ridiculous.
Well most major airlines now offer a basic economy where you and choose your seats, and you may only carry on a single bag to fit under the seat in front of you. There is some varation. This is a relatively new phenomenon.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
...Paying to take a carry on bag is ridiculous.
Only if you paid a full normal fare. Some of the ultra-low-cost airlines like WOW offer an incredible price if all you bring is yourself and a small bag that will fit under the seat in front of you. Of course you can take a carry-on or a checked bag, but you pay for that additional weight. And often the fare including these bag fees is still cheaper than, or at least competitive with, the big name airlines.

I like the choice and apparently Millennials do as well. Why should a person with a small backpack share in the cost of other people's huge bags? Weight=fuel consumption. I think this is the way it will be in the future. You buy a seat. Then you pay for your "cargo."

DD flew to London this summer on WOW. She paid the carry-on fee but not the fee to choose a specific seat since she was flying by herself. The fare was $900 compared to $1600 on BA.