Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?
I'd miss it a lot. I want mail delivery Mon - Sat no matter what. 4 3.85%
As long as post office is opened on Sat. I don't mind no Sat delivery 18 17.31%
I don't care either way. 14 13.46%
5 day mail delivery is fine. I use other means (email, autopay, etc.) 30 28.85%
5 day mail delivery is fine with me. I mostly get junk mail and bills anyhow. 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
In the summer we put the mail "on hold" for a month at a time. Then drop in and pick it up when we're in town. Seems to me a monthly delivery would suffice with the ability to pick-up any time the PO is open.
For the past eighteen months, we have been "on the road" about 50% of the time. We, too, put our mail "on hold" and pick it up at out leisure. At first, I was concerned but quickly found that there was nothing of an "emergency situation" ever delivered by the USPS. Once you have your bills delivered (and/or pay them) electronically the USPS, actually, has no purpose other than one of nostalgia.

As I mentioned earlier, the USPS still has a role to play in the "delivery" business -- the function that Fed Ex and UPS provides. Regular mail is simply a relic of the past... like the world in Black & White.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before I retired not having the post office open on Saturday would have been a real problem. I worked 20 miles out of town and they opened after I went to work and closed before I got home so Saturday was the only day I could get in.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

FYI

End to Saturday mail faces resistance (4/5/10) -- GovExec.com
Old 04-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

My crystal ball sees another first class postage rate hike soon
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My crystal ball sees another first class postage rate hike soon
Not for me!! I have my forever stamps.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Not for me!! I have my forever stamps.
I still have about 150 forever stamps but am thinkin' of stocking up on some more
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #67
Confused about dryer sheets

Having worked for the Post Office for over 25 years, I can add this info:
My belief is that the Postmaster General is threatening 5 day delivery so that he can get Congress to give him other things. He's done this before - 5 day delivery has come up every few years for the last 30 years. He wants Congress to stop making the post office pay $5Billion per year for retiree healthcare (I think they are paying something like 25 years into the future). Congress has to approve this, and I've heard many congressmen/women state "5 days no way."
It affects businesses much more than individuals because they get money in the mail (yes people still send checks).
And if they are not going to close the retail lobby, nor stop the trucks from coming 6 days a week with the mail, then they really aren't going to save much money.
postmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #68
Administrator

It seems Netflix has spoken - in support of elminating saturday mail delivery.
Netflix Backs U.S. Postal Service Saturday Delivery Cut - Bloomberg
Quote:
Netflix Inc., which says it’s the largest-growing first-class U.S. Postal Service customer, gave its support to ending Saturday mail delivery. The approval of Netflix, which has more than 14 million subscribers, follows that of Time Warner Inc., publisher of more than 20 U.S. magazines including Sports Illustrated and People. The Postal Service, which says eliminating Saturday delivery would save $3 billion a year, wants to reduce the service to five days a week. The proposal is among a suite of possible changes to plug its deficit.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Once a week is good enough for me.

Hey - that's what I already get! (From my mail forwarding service)

Audrey
Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We already get 5 day delivery some weeks - like this one. Our mailwoman didn't deliver any mail to our subdivision today. Maybe she'll show up tomorrow, maybe not....
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We already get 5 day delivery some weeks - like this one. Our mailwoman didn't deliver any mail to our subdivision today. Maybe she'll show up tomorrow, maybe not....
We don't get 6 day delivery either, for the same reasons. I don't care. Most of my "mail" is just advertising flyers anyway.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

This thread was started while colleges were still frantically mailing out their last-chance applications, so perhaps I need to revisit my original assessment.

In the last month I've been able to more accurately gauge the volume of mail that I believe we'll be getting for the rest of our lives, and I've reached a new conclusion: five-day/week mail delivery sucks.

It sucks almost as bad as six-day/week mail delivery.

I think mail delivery should be cut back to one day per week. Tuesday or Thursday is good for me. Otherwise I don't want to have to keep an eye on the mailbox.

When our current mailbox dies its UV death, maybe I should replace it with one of those locked-door models with a mail slot. Then I could stop listening for the mail carrier, no longer worry about theft, and only check the mail when I run out of everything else to do.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote