Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How do you find yesterday's weather?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can find tomorrow's weather on the internet everywhere, but when I want to know what the high was today or yesterday or last week, I cannot seem to find the information.

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

Enter your location and then scroll down the page about 1/2 the length. On the left side look for History and Almanac. I've gone back as far as 2 years, but it looks like you can go back even further. Or, you can just look at yesterday's weather.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Very nice. I like the graphs too.

Thank you!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I usually have no trouble remembering what the weather was like yesterday. Could you please give me a clue as to why one would want to know?

I can see being curious about the weather last year, or 10 years ago (for comparison with the present) but why yesterday's or last week's?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I can find tomorrow's weather on the internet everywhere, but when I want to know what the high was today or yesterday or last week, I cannot seem to find the information.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Weather.gov is the original source for the data. Just find your site & click climate.

Gardening is just one thing that needs a record of the weather - how much rain, how much heat, etc. Looking at a longer data period tells you a lot more about a place's weather than the current forecast. Then there's verification of the forecasts. Lots of uses for the data.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground

Enter your location and then scroll down the page about 1/2 the length. On the left side look for History and Almanac. I've gone back as far as 2 years, but it looks like you can go back even further. Or, you can just look at yesterday's weather.

Hmm. All I'm finding is "history data" under local weather - and that for only chosen single dates. Haven't seen almanac at all. On the other hand, up in the top right corner is "full screen", which brings up a map you can drag around to get weather at any crosshairs location - can zoom in and out and has a nice terrain tab as well. Using Firefox here, and am not a Wunderground member, so maybe my view is different.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Hmm. All I'm finding is "history data" under local weather - and that for only chosen single dates. Haven't seen almanac at all. On the other hand, up in the top right corner is "full screen", which brings up a map you can drag around to get weather at any crosshairs location - can zoom in and out and has a nice terrain tab as well. Using Firefox here, and am not a Wunderground member, so maybe my view is different.
It's the same thing. If you choose "history data" it gives you a window to input your zip code, or city/state name. Choose the date you want and it takes you to the same data and graphics.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday's official high was 97F. That is measured way out at the airport, probably right next to an air conditioner. OK, that was snide but the temperature often seems more moderate in that location than in other stations in the city that are reported on the evening news.

On the other hand, at one point the digital display in Frank's Murano showed an outdoor temperature of 108F. That was probably a little high. We didn't stay outside too long to delve into that hypothesis.

Today it is already 97F officially, and it's not even 1 PM yet. We have a 20% chance of rain. Come on, rain!! The weather should cool down if we could just get a good rainstorm today.

Edited to add: 102F officially at 3 PM and still climbing. August is here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I usually have no trouble remembering what the weather was like yesterday. Could you please give me a clue as to why one would want to know?
This is just one example, but say the high today is supposed to be 75 degrees, and I want to know if that would feel warmer than yesterday.
Don't you ever have days you say "Boy it was really hot yesterday. BTW, it's going to be 90 degrees today. I wonder if that's as hot as yesterday."? Or TV weather guy says in the morning that it's going to be very hot that day. You don't watch TV the rest of the day and the next morning, you wonder how hot it actually got the day before.

Actually, it's been unusually cool this summer (my harvesting time for my garden veggies are at least one month late compared to the average year), and the graphs on the site Leonida provided there are very useful to see this year's trend.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A better question is............How do we make today's weather yesterday's weather? I'm ready to put the hot temps in the past. Just took the mutt in the backyard for a tinkle and it felt like walking into an oven. The grass makes a crinkling sound when walking on it. Got to get the water flowing tomorrow. Not much rain in the forecast for the next week.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A record high of 100 degrees was measured even at the New Orleans airport today (102 in the "real world"). Dawg, it felt like a blast furnace. No rain so far today, either - - maybe tonight.

August in New Orleans. At least we don't have to shovel the heat.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
August in New Orleans. At least we don't have to shovel the heat.