Join Early Retirement Today

How do you pronounce?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

How do you pronounce?

I noticed some businesses like architect firms and advertising agencies are going by names such as "Wahoo + Leonidas." How is the "+" pronounced? Is it "plus" or "and?"

Why was the pronunciation of Carnegie changed to accent the second syllable instead of the first? Or were just a bunch of people wrong and a few right?

I was watching part of an old John Wayne movie this afternoon. He pronounced the Rio Grande as the Rio Grandie. Did people used to say that?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How do you pronounce?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I noticed some businesses like architect firms and advertising agencies are going by names such as "Wahoo + Leonidas." How is the "+" pronounced? Is it "plus" or "and?"
You are supposed to stop in between the two words, make a clicking sound in the back of your throat, and say "I am a tool" in the highest pitch you can manage.

The John Wayne thing is just him, most likely because he was a drunken asswad.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345

The John Wayne thing is just him, most likely because he was a drunken asswad.
Shame on you. I bet you don't like mom's apple pie either.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My husband will choke me for the following observation, but today architecture firms like to be "cute", to have a name or logo that communicates that design is important. In the early days such firms, like law firms, had to use the name of their principals. I wouldn't pronounce the "+", just say the words on either side.

Marketing firms also want to differentiate themselves in the same way.

I think pronunciation in the US has become more standardized. Blame it on TV.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I was watching part of an old John Wayne movie this afternoon. He pronounced the Rio Grande as the Rio Grandie. Did people used to say that?
Maybe it was a poor attempt at Espanol.

You really meant the Rio Bravo, right?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's Spanish. In Spanish there are few or no silent letters. The terminal e is pronounced similarly to our long A in English, with the accent on the first syllable "gran".
Old 01-13-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Shame on you. I bet you don't like mom's apple pie either.
I actually enjoy watching old black & white westerns, but I despise John Wayne. Sorry, I guess I'm just a bad Merkin.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I actually enjoy watching old black & white westerns, but I despise John Wayne. Sorry, I guess I'm just a bad Merkin.
Oh well, his old movies take me back to my childhood. He was the man when I was a kid.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #9

i don't know that i've never met a carnegie (as i've played with a lot of people in my time so ya just never know) but i'd go with however they pronounce their own name. i suspect those who say car-neee-gie are the same affected people who pronounce jaguar as if it had three syllables. i imagine the car-neee-gies have better cars than people driving jag-guuuu-aaars.

i just love the very talented actress who plays hyacinth bucket (pronounced) bouquet in keeping up appearances. putting on airs on air she'd say jag-guuu-aaar. but i'm pretty sure on the way home from the set she drives a jag.

having spent most of my entire life in construction, i've had opportunity to observe the incredibly over-inflated egos of many architects. i believe the plus sign of an architectural firm signifies tribute to each partner's ego. in our linear thinking, one name has to come before or be on top of the other. while sentence form is rather structured and as we tend to place more importance on who comes first, in mathematical equations the factors on either side of a plus sign can be reversed without effecting the resultant equals.

so here it doesn't matter how you pronounce the plus sign so long as you recognize & pay tribute to the equation.

i don't know why advertisers do it. perhaps they are just stealing another good idea.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I forgot about the Jag guu aars. And the Por shas.

We had a mexican restaurant in town called Hacienda del sol. I, and most everyone, including the owner, always called it the Hacienda with the "H" pronouced. An acquantance of mine one looked at me and repeated over and over: AHceinda AHcienda AHcienda. It was quite embarrassing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
An acquantance of mine one looked at me and repeated over and over: AHceinda AHcienda AHcienda. It was quite embarrassing.
Yes, but they persist in doing it anyway. Like Miss Manners, I'd just be silent for a commentary moment and then change the subject.

We have a one-person detachment of the Hawaiian Pronunciation Police living at our house too. I think she's practicing for her first week at a Mainland college.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #12

That "Plus" thing is driving me crazy. At our AIA awards event this year, one of the firms mentioned was Somebody + Somebodyelse. The MC pronounced it "plus" and it sounded idiotic. I decided I would just pronounce it "and" if given the opportunity. I am guessing that is the intent of the people using it.

You could call them and see how they answer the phone.

I recall Carnegie being the Car-NAY-gee library when we were kids. I thought it was affected when it became CAH-ne-gee. Now it's back to square one?
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I recall Carnegie being the Car-NAY-gee library when we were kids. I thought it was affected when it became CAH-ne-gee. Now it's back to square one?
Apparently everybody's right:

Main Entry: Car·ne·gie
Pronunciation: kär-'ne-gE, 'kär-n&-gE
Function: biographical name
Andrew 1835-1919 American (Scottish-born) industrialist & philanthropist.

Of course I thought he was Scots, not Scottish...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 01-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I forgot about the Jag guu aars. And the Por shas.

We had a mexican restaurant in town called Hacienda del sol. I, and most everyone, including the owner, always called it the Hacienda with the "H" pronouced. An acquantance of mine one looked at me and repeated over and over: AHceinda AHcienda AHcienda. It was quite embarrassing.
It's OK to pronounce the H if you are in the US - LOL! Especially if the owner pronounces it thus!

Besides - we do use it as an English word right?

Audrey
Old 01-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Most people who live near the river call it "the river", or "el rio". Still in Texas, but farther away, it's the Rio Grand (anglicized pronounciation), unless they're talking about the Rio Grande Valley area, in which case it's just called "The Valley" or "El Valle".

Here's a joke that may not come off in writing as well as it does when spoken.

Some tourists stopped to eat at a fast food restaurant in the small Texas town of Mexia. One lady politely asked the woman behind the counter "Can you tell me something, how do you pronounce the name of this place?"

The waitress stopped smacking her gum for a second, smiled at the old woman and then spoke slowly and carefully: "Sure sweetie. This here is the Dare-EE Kween! (Dairy Queen)"

(The name of the town is pronounced MuHayUh)

When you live in a state that used to be part of Mexico, and where anglos and hispanics and mexicans are constantly intermingling, you wind up with a lot of verbal strangeness and sometimes a little miscommunication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
It's Spanish. In Spanish there are few or no silent letters.
Except for the letter "H" as someone else pointed out, and of course there is the letter J, which sounds like the English letter "H". Confused? Sometimes so are we.

One day one of my troops asked me if I ever heard of a hotel called the Ojo Inn. (Ojo is the Spanish word for eye, and is pronounced Oh-HO). He was trying to coordinate a meet with some guys just in from Mexico, and when he asked them what hotel they were staying in they told him it was called the Ojo Inn.

It turned out that they were staying at a Howard Johnson's branded hotel that went by the name HOJO INN. The Spanish speakers took one look at the sign and pronounced as they would in Spanish (h)Oh-Ho.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas

(The name of the town is pronounced MuHayUh)
Home of Vicki Lynn Hogan. Google her up.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thats my gal...or her granddaughter will be, providing I come up with another couple of million bucks in the next 45 years.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Home of Vicki Lynn Hogan. Google her up.
Oh, that Vicki Lynn Hogan...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vicki Lynn Hogan.jpg (2.5 KB, 55 views)

Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
Except for the letter "H" as someone else pointed out,
I meant, no silent vowels. Vowel sounds, dipthongs, but nothing like the silent English E.

Ha
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I meant, no silent vowels. Vowel sounds, dipthongs, but nothing like the silent English E
I wasn't being critical of your skills in Espanol - just trying to set up the story for all the non-spanish speakers.