Join Early Retirement Today

How Do You Stop Thinking About The Market?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How Do You Stop Thinking About The Market?

I was driving home from the beach today, enjoying retirement, DW & I went bicycle riding in Marina del Rey & Venice CA and left early to *try* to avoid LA traffic. Not too far from home we were exiting the car pool lane, another car jumps out in front of me and slows down, I hit the brakes and we are all, in slow motion, slowing down together but I have the added interesting item of a fairly large truck closing in on my rear window. Fortunately his brakes were pretty good and a moment later it was all normal traffic flow. Heart rate went up, I thought, Oh No more heart sh*t but remembered its OK to have the rate go up when circumstances warrant it, and subsequently calmed down.
Now, the nice part; didn't think about the market at all
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

I just remember the other times I worried about the market and it did no good .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have enough stuff that I like to tinker around with, that I really don't have take time to think about the current state of affairs.....I'm not an ostrich, but rather just happy-go-lucky and to darn busy having fun to worry about things.......Besides, I'm NOT a 'worrier' to start with. Mix in with all that, the fact that I don't listen to the 'talking heads' in the media, and ya have my prescription to keep from worrying......about much of anything!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I went to church on Sunday and the first words out of the priest's mouth were "In this economy" and he spent the entire sermon talking about it in a gloom and doom perspective. I don't know if he is worried that people will cut back on their giving or what, but it was truly ridiculous.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Now, the nice part; didn't think about the market at all
The market never seems to think about us, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't know if he is worried that people will cut back on their giving or what, but it was truly ridiculous.
Sounds like you need a new priest...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I know--and it was in the one place that I thought would transcend money and the economy....
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just come here and talk with all the interesting people. Nobody is worried about the market here, no sirree bob.

Let's see, I've got my new townhouse (closing Monday), moving stuff to it, playing with our dogs, taking walks, watching tv (explosion movies, not news), my fantasy football team, things like that. I really only get hit by the market news here or in the car (radio).
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and I also watch a presidential debate while I read this board--both sides are making me feel much better about things because they're each telling me that everything will be all better when they're elected! Whew!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Our thoughtful management at work has taken on the formidable task of keeping me from thinking about the market while in the workplace lately.

This week they have arranged to have workmen do a complete demolition of the floor below us, in order to renovate and remodel. So, all day long we hear BANG!! BANG!!! CLANK!!! BANG!! very loudly. This is so considerate because it keeps all of us from thinking about anything whatsoever, including the market.

We long to go down there and beat the building to a senseless pulp with all our might as well, but no such luck - - we aren't allowed to even enter the construction area.

Just as frosting on the cake, rising over the din was the fire alarm which has gone off several times this week by mistake.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went to church on Sunday and the first words out of the priest's mouth were "In this economy" and he spent the entire sermon talking about it in a gloom and doom perspective. I don't know if he is worried that people will cut back on their giving or what, but it was truly ridiculous.
What do you expect? A priest is a business man. Selling a product/service(religion).
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been at peace about all this over the last several days as I think about all the treasures in my life that are unrelated to the stock market. I have good health, the love of my family and friends, a comfortable home and plenty to eat. It's true that I may have to w*rk a few extra years to FIRE, but overall, life is good and I am blessed.

I'd like to add that the ER forums have generally been a great retreat from the "OMG, we're all gonna die!" hysteria of the media and some of the other forums I read.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

market? what market? j/k
i've peeked about 10 times in last 2 weeks. no changes made, just watching the so-called "bottom" points. the troughs can be instructive for the overall AA plan.
your description of the LA traffic sparked a memory cell - i lived in Anaheim and commuted to Torrance in the early 80's. picture a NYer driving on the LA freeways. it was an interesting experience for all!
if it weren't for watching the Goodyear blimp takeoffs and landings in Long Beach, i'd have gone nutz in the bumper to bumper traffic .
so glad your close call came out OK.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I start thinking of my other problems instead
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Weellll - loaned money out at 10%, secured by property, to some neighbors just before getting on a plane to the 29 Palms Ca. area to visit and maintain the gal's Mom's house. Arranged to have the mile long path to the house graded after the city said nope, no way. Fixed plumbing leaks and did general upkeep. Went to the gal's 40th HS reunion and met a bunch of nice people. Got a call from a tenant letting me know that the Salem PD was hauling off another tenant for meth possession and sale. Called the detective and then mailed out a 24 hour notice to the idiot who thought selling meth while taking care of his 4YO son was a good idea.

Looked at some desert real estate - like this lovely unit: Photos for 86725 Misty Trl, Twentynine Palms, CA 92277 | Zillow Real Estate
Pictures don't capture the huge microwave tower looming over head - bonus energy savings, as you could probably heat a cup of coffee by holding it out the window in the transmission path. Also a junkyard with dogs nearby and, when we got there at 7AM, a scraggly tree with SIX vultures sitting in it! Figured it was a sign and left... desert lifestyle - gotta love it.

Flew home, filed eviction papers (first hearing 10-eight) and found that the duplex unit that my meth entrepreneur had been arrested in had not had it's door kicked in! Moreover, the idiot's parents had emptied out the apartment! Whoa! Way too lucky! I was expecting something a bit more like this: How can anyone live like this? (pics)

Listened to 34 messages, picked up the mail, found a $600 bounced rent payment, visited a few tenants who needed visiting, changed a kitchen faucet , picked up supplies, and started showing our vacant unit (not meth boy's).

Heard there was something else happening in the world, but have enough distractions to keep me busy.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Calmloki, after clicking on that link and looking at the way those people lived, I am beginning to feel like a fastidious and nearly compulsive clean-freak.

It's mind-boggling that anyone could live like that!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Wow, Calmloki, after clicking on that link and looking at the way those people lived, I am beginning to feel like a fastidious and nearly compulsive clean-freak.

The odd thing about those pics is that the walls and door edges don't look dirty - with the amount of cigarette butts i'd expect the walls to be dripping yellow. Did you see the lovely pink outhouse with flush toilet in the desert house link? That proud homeowner was a styler!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just remind the Rev. Father that the Lord is his shepherd and that he should focus on long term returns his reward will come in eternal life.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

A near miss is still a miss-somedays thats the only aerobic exercise I get.

Hope the bike ride went well. Now that sounds like a good distraction.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #19

DW is a worrier - I've said before that I don't have to worry about anything because she does all my worrying for me.

Me? I'm just busy working at a job that has a grueling 3.4 mile commute and that for the most part involves keeping a chair warm. Also on the homestretch on finishing getting FIL's house prepped for sale, thinking about the Suzuki C90T I'm going to be riding by next spring - http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/C90TK8.

Thinking of touring WV, VA, MD, PA, OH with it, getting 50+ mpg.

I don't have time to be thinking about the market. I also don't really care much if too many other people borrowed more than they can afford and are now having problems. All of our stuff is paid for, we don't give a thought to where our next meal is coming from, our health is good, and I can write a $10k check for a toy. What's not to like?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

at least the the cat litter box is cleaner than the rest of the bathroom.