Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd like to be remembered by those patients I have helped here and abroad.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have no interest in being remembered. Came to the world as unknown except by my parents and midwife. Prefer to depart as anonymus.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #23

At my funeral I hope they say these seven words: He lived a long and happy life.

The rest is just details!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

They say that due to the Internet; this is the first generation were the average person's (not just the famous or infamous) life will be recorded.

One man said; When I am gone, I hope people will remember me and think or say; "Dam&!$ he was really old!
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
gone traveling

I want to be immortalised by not dying - Woodie Allen
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I've commissioned a friend to give a eulogy and told him who to invite (in person or online). I will pass more ideas to him as they occur to me.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Wherefore art thou Khan?
Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #28

As a person who marched to the beat of my own drum and who was gentle and kind to people.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I don't care how anyone remember me because when I'm dead, I won't be able to hear or feel what they say about me.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #30

I don't particularly mind how I am remembered, as it won't matter to me when I'm gone. However, if you were to ask how I think I will be remembered, the following phrase may well sum it up, "He was a bit weird, but he really loved his cats."

This is my latest foster. She is blind, and a complete sweetie. I am fascinated with how little she asks from the world, and yet how content she seems.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #31
Administrator

I just want people to say: "Who? Never heard of him."
Old 06-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Major Tom, That is a very regal-looking cat. Glad you found each other.

When reading obits that mention the deceased lighting up the room, never meeting a stranger, being unforgettable, etc., I pledge to be nicer because there is no way anybody in my family would think to include any of those things about me.

So far those promises to myself have not panned out. My obit writer will most likely resort to fibs and exaggerations to make me sound good, but i guess that is okay.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
My obit writer will most likely resort to fibs and exaggerations to make me sound good, but i guess that is okay.
And what makes you think the other obits aren't [part] fiction, as well?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

OMNI550...you are right on....

Who ever read an obit that said "He/She was a nasty, unforgiving, selfish p***k who never had/did a good thing, ever, who treated family like dirt and had no friends?"

I was just looking at this mornings list in my local paper.....everyone was SO GOOD and Nice and was just the BEST family person ever!!!!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
I was just looking at this mornings list in my local paper.....everyone was SO GOOD and Nice and was just the BEST family person ever!!!!!!!
Obits, and funerals for that matter, aren't for the benefit of the dead -- they're for the benefit/comfort of the living (survivors).

Since the best part of departing is the wake, I figure I'll go the cheapest way I can (I think that's still cremation -- please correct me if I'm wrong) and save the $$$ instead for the party for friends & family.

Tyro
Old 06-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
OMNI550...you are right on....

Who ever read an obit that said "He/She was a nasty, unforgiving, selfish p***k who never had/did a good thing, ever, who treated family like dirt and had no friends?"

Couldn't agree more!

It would be refreshing if we were to have more realistic obits and eulogies, methinks. Even the prickliest curmudgeon has a good side (or did at some point in the past). We are all complex and multi-faceted personalities, and obits that paint us all as the best person ever, don't do us justice, IMO.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

“Read your own obituary notice; they say you live longer. Gives you second wind. New lease of life.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses
Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Even the prickliest curmudgeon has a good side (or did at some point in the past).
Maybe the reason eulogies are that way is to remind folks that the SOB did -- at least at one/some time -- have some redeeming qualities?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Those of us who have children will be remembered as long as they live, and if we get to know grandchildren well, a while longer. I remember very well my great grandparents from one side, but not my Mother's side as they were dead before I got to grade school or whenever it is that we tend to remember lot of things. I'll remember my aunts and uncles as long as I remember anything, but it is unlikely that my kids will remember them, or even their own aunts and uncles because we never lived where they were a frequent part of our lives. I will never forget parents, grandparents, or great grandparents that I got to know during my life. And of course cousins, and close childhood friends.

I'm sure many people will remember Doctors Sabin and Salk, as they made such a huge difference in the life of a kid coming up mid-century. Who would soon forget Dr. Schweitzer or Helen Keller, or General Eisenhower, or Joseph Stalin or Hitler?

Most us will remember our parents and other close relatives, the public people who made a big difference in our lives and were newsworthy, and of course actors of whom our memories are continually reinforced. I never saw Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers during their careers, but thanks to late night TV I would be very unlikely to forget them.

If we have surviving mates, whether they are really into us or would just as soon seen our backs going out the door, they will remember us likely as long as they live. I don't know what the half life of dating memories is, but some I will likely never forget. But first kiss, first that, first the other, long gone from my memories.

So for us non-famous people, your kids and their offspring will be your memory bank. Be nice to them. If you are single or without children, never forget anyone's birthday.

Ha
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Couldn't agree more!

It would be refreshing if we were to have more realistic obits and eulogies, methinks. Even the prickliest curmudgeon has a good side (or did at some point in the past)....
Not to mention the obit can call attention to the curmudgeon's beautiful lawn as no children were allowed on it.