How healthy is your lifestyle?

Bookm

Recycles dryer sheets
Only a very small percentage of the population can brag, according to this article.
But of four characteristics included in a healthy-lifestyle indicator designed by researchers at Michigan State University, physical activity and vegetable eating are the two with which people had the hardest time.

The indicator looked for those who were nonsmoking, had a healthy weight, consumed five or more servings of vegetables a day and got regular physical activity -- a lifestyle that only 3% of the population exhibits, according to the study. Researchers examined detailed health habits of 153,000 U.S. adults age 18 to 74 and published findings in the April 25 issue of the Archives of Internal Medicine.

"This group will live an average of six to 10 years longer," said Dr. Mathew Reeves, an epidemiologist at Michigan State University and lead author of the report. "Their risk of dying of heart disease will be five to 12 times lower. Critically, medical expenditures for this group are half that of the rest of the population."

I'll admit that 5 servings per day of fruit and vegetables is hard, considering many people only eat 3 times per day. Which is a good reason to increase the number of meals you eat to 5-6 per day, while decreasing how much you eat per meal. Of course, eating what amounts to 2 servings of a veggie at a meal helps reach the 5/day goal. I know I eat a double serving of veggies when certain ones are prepared for a meal (salad, green beans, cucumber and broccoli, for example). And meal replacement powders/drinks provide the vitamins and nutrients equivalent to one serving too. It's still a goal worth achieving, according to the statistics from the study. Posted at NFB too.

Bookm

Re: http://www.marketwatHow healthy is your lifest

SO basically we only have to eliminate that loud mouthed 3%, and a couple of researchers that keep bringing this up and we can all enjoy laying on the couch and eating cheetos out of an air bag? ;)

Yep

I've been thinking about doing my fair share - driving my 6000 lb truck to buy a loaf of bread - could suffer a lapse - since our back road is cycle training ground. They come in swarms this time of year - like mosquitos and gnats.

But prison food isn't that healthy either and I understand they've cut back on pumping iron. I'd rather kayak - given the choice. But first I have to get my butt of the couch.

For me, trying to eat a healthy diet and trying to get in a good 8-10 hours of exercise a week requires a mentality very similar to that required to save and invest. Its all about doing something now that will benefit you in the future. In the case of diet and exercise the benefit is immediate as well as long term. Of course, just as I will occasionally buy stuff I really don't need, I will also eat a bunch of junk food that is really not good for me. The results are very similar. If I buy something I don't need, it delays getting to FI. If I eat bad it probably increases my risk of having expensive health care or dying a little sooner. It may be incredibly marginal, but it adds up just like investment fees.

Then there is the added benefit of being healthier overall and how that can reduce your insurance rates. It seems like the risk for a number of diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, certain cancers, etc. can be greatly reduced by following a healthy lifestyle. This probably means a better and happier retirement, early or otherwise.

Maybe its a bad analogy, but I think it takes some effort determination to save as well as to have a healthy lifestyle. I get my 5+ servings of vegies a day plus good omega rich fish a few times a week, as well as about 8 hours of exercise a week. It takes some effort, but no more than passing up on that latest greatest gadget that everybody is buying.

--Biker

I heard an hour of love-making equals an hour of jogging.

But I prefer jogging.

Mikey

One Hour every day in the gym. Five days/week I use the elliptical machine for an hour (five miles per session) and the other two days I life weights (which I hate) and do 30 mins on the elliptical. Jogged for 20+ years but knees and feet told me to stop.

Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables; couldn't say if it's five servings, but since DW is vegetarian you can bet I eat my share.

I figure I do about 50 weeks a year of the exercise bit. Seldom miss unless traveling. If this isn't enough, #$%&* it.

Lately, my life style is not very healthy at all - two to three cups of coffee every morning, 5 hours of sleep, zero hour of exercising, 10 hours of work, 2 hous of driving between work and home, eating out at buffet places ...

biker wrote:
Maybe its a bad analogy, but I think it takes some effort determination to save as well as to have a healthy lifestyle.
Hell, I thought that was an excellent analogy. I've seen others draw a similar analogy. Author and weekly newsletter writer John Mauldin has spoken at times about it, and occasionally refers to Dave Draper, a bodybuilder from the 60's nick-named the Blond Bomber who writes a weekly newsletter as well on fitness. At least I related to your post. :)

Bookm

Me too.

Hence the twinge of guilt for the difference between what I am doing and what I know I could be doing when I get held up by a string of cyclists out in the fresh air while waiting to pass sitting on my butt in my air conditioned truck on the way to town.

However, it doesn't hit until after I've finished that muffelata, fried seafood platter or poorboy - as to what I should be eating.

I don't lack for knowledge - just action and determination.

How old are you? :)

JG

Hey John,

Whats the problem. I can make love about as long as I can jog. Come to think of it over the last year or so I've spent equal amounts of time on both :D

I'm in the 3% (not bragging, just giving a pep[ talk!), and it definitely takes effort. But 6-10 years extra is worth the clean living!

I mostly walk for exercise, and take a cue from the Amish here! I used to ride the stationary bike 30 min/ day but it bothered my knees. I walk on a path behind our house twice a day, morning and evening, a total of 5 miles/ day. Do some situps and hand weights about twice/ week, and stretch most days in the evening in front of the TV. I lost 5 lbs since I switched from the bike to walking.

Getting the fruits/ veggies is as simple as getting in the habit of buying them.

Banana and raisins on my oatmeal in the morning- 2 servings

Baby carrots and an apple or orange for lunch- 2 servings

Frozen broccoli or spinach or frozen stir fry veggies, depending on what's for dinner- 2 servings

Hey, that's an extra serving! If strawberries or mangos or melon are in season, we have this for dessert and get a whopping 7 servings!

It definitely took a change in our shopping and meal habits to get these servings in, but it's not hard once you have a routine.

Well, since you are all wondering :)

I walk every day, max. of 3 miles I'm guessing.
Sometimes less. No other regular exercise other than my routine daily activities.

Breakfast:

Cereal and no-fat milk with decaf or maybe a Frappacino
(Starbucks and milk). Sometimes one egg.
Or maybe a Slimfast.

Lunch:

Depends. Maybe another Slimfast, or soup and sandwich. If I go out, frequently a salad and soup.

Dinner:

2 glasses of white wine, followed by a big salad,
or smaller salad (or veggies) plus fish, chicken, or steak.

We mostly eat what we like while keeping an eye on
the calories and fat content. But, we are not obsessive
about it. I am still kind of on the "Wabmester" diet
(think South Beach/Atkins), but mostly because it was
easy. I cheat a little.

There it is. No recommendations for others. Just for the
record.

JG

I have found that the recommended "healthy" diet just doesn't work for me. My system just doesn't handle fruits and vegetables very well. Over the years I have found that a low carb diet works well for me. While I worry a little about the high amount of saturated fats this includes, I have my cholesterol checked each year and it is OK. Other than a salad with dinner every day and an occasional serving of green beans or asparagus I eat no fruits or vegetables. I eat a lot of nuts. I do exercise every day. I swim at least one mile every other day and I walk 3 to 4 miles on the other days. My weight stays stable and I feel pretty good. Some people's bodies just work differently than the general population. You have to listen to your body and do what works for you.

Grumpy

Well, since you are all wondering  :)

I walk every day, max. of 3 miles I'm guessing.
Sometimes less.  No other regular exercise other than my routine daily activities.

Breakfast:

Cereal and no-fat milk with decaf or maybe a Frappacino
(Starbucks and milk).  Sometimes one egg.
Or maybe a Slimfast.

Lunch:

Depends.  Maybe another Slimfast, or soup and sandwich.  If I go out, frequently a salad and soup.

Dinner:

2 glasses of white wine, followed by a big salad,
or smaller salad (or veggies) plus fish, chicken, or steak.

We mostly eat what we like while keeping an eye on
the calories and fat content.  But, we are not obsessive
about it.  I am still kind of on the "Wabmester" diet
(think South Beach/Atkins), but mostly because it was
easy.  I cheat a little.

There it is.  No recommendations for others.  Just for the
record.

JG

Wow, thats almost a carbon copy of my daily routine. I probably only get in 1.5 miles a day. Plan to increase that when I have more time in retirement. Sub a bud light for the wine though. :D

I guess I'm in the 3%, but only recently arrived. I shed 50 pounds last year, motivated by severe back pain. I'm 6'2" and now 180. Diet now consists of protein (usually fish or chicken) and fruits and vegetables. Carbos very sparing. Low fat. I allow myself to eat as much fruits and vegetables as I want. I now always have fruit in the house for snacks. I've gotten used to the new diet, and no longer feel deprived. Exercise 3x a week - situps pushups, some pilates type exercises. Used to run, but have residual sciatica (from back problem) & so don't run now.

I feel younger now than I did before, which is mostly the product of not lugging the extra weight around. Doesn't hurt that my clothes fit better.

Actually I have been inspired by my wife, who has been way ahead of me on this. She's 57 and runs 3 to 5 times a week, and getting medals in a lot of races. I think she is inspired by her own mother, who was healthy and vigorous till cancer took her a few years back.

FYI I picked up Outside magazine in an airport this week. It has information on healthy living, diet, and the sort of sports which are accessible to almost everyone - running, biking, kayaking. It included an inspiring article about the current Mexican senior surfing champion. I subscribed because it was fun to read and could help my focus on healthy living.

rapoole

rapoole, your story is just like mine, only I'm not quite there. I'm 6'2" and at one point was 248. :eek: Gotten down to 199 as of yesterday and working my way town to 180. I can't do the five servings a day thing, probably get three. Excercise a lot, 12-15 miles running, adding biking and swimming. But I enjoy my beer!

Laurence-

I forgot to mention, several glasses of wine with dinner. Critical!

I never thought in terms of portions of fruits and vegetables. Makes them sound like medicine. I think of them as the thing I am allowed to eat at anytime in any quantity. Makes them more appealing. I approach everything else with more caution.

It's hard to lose weight through exercise. I think I read you burn 100 calories per mile of running. Unless the consumption part of the equation is under control, it is hard to exercise enough to make a difference. I used to run 3 or four times a week back when I was 220 and up and didn't find it helped much on the weight.

RP

Some people's bodies just work differently than the general population.  You have to listen to your body and do what works for you. 

I agree with Grumpy here. I eat high protein/fat diet, and low carbs. I seem to stay a good weight easily on this regime. I go easy on the fruit, but eat all the veggies I want (a lot!)while staying away from potatoes, winter squash and other high carb starchy veggies.

Drink water, wine and whisky.

As for exercise, I wear a pedometer. I want a baseline of 60,000 steps a week. Anything else I do over this is gravy. I think exercise would be harder for me in a very hot or cold climate, but it is pretty easy here.

Also do a variable amount of weightlifting-enough to keep lookiong good.(Well, giving allowance for being 64 :)

I do notice that the more I do, the hungrier I get so my food bill goes up a bit.

Mikey

I think I have pretty healthy life style. I got to the local "Y" to lift weights about 3 times a week. I ride my bicycle everywhere to get around (shopping, errands and leisure) while my car collects dust. I have always loved my fruits & vegetables and eat 5 to 8 servings a day. I eat oatmeal and lots of garlic almost every day. I eat 6 to 9 eggs a week and my cholesterol is great. I supplement this with extra vitamins. Although I enjoy good quality hard liquor and wine, I rarely have any.

but

it stills does not seem to prevent me from getting 3 to 4 colds a year. :-/
I don't think my body likes sudden changes in temperature which we have been experiencing in NYC.

MJ

My diet is nearly identical to Mikey's:
I eat high protein/fat diet, and low carbs. I seem to stay a good weight easily on this regime. I go easy on the fruit, but eat all the veggies I want (a lot!)while staying away from potatoes, winter squash and other high carb starchy veggies.

Drink water, wine and whisky.
Although I don't drink very much whisky.

I do about 10 minutes of stretching exercises five days a week followed by 150 sit-ups then two sets of various exercises including push-ups. I use a set of springs to do chest pulls and squeezes. All of the above takes me about 30 to 40 minutes.

Next I take a walk/jog. Most days that includes 1 mile walking and 1 mile jogging, but on days when my wife goes with me we only walk but go 3 to 5 miles. In the evenings, we always walk together for another 3 to 5 miles.

The other 2 days a week, we are usually involved in some kind of archaeology work or volunteer event. These days can involve 10 mile backpacks, excavations, or simply sitting at a booth. :D

I bike, run and swim about 8 hours a week. It allows me to eat what I want and not gain weight. I have found exercise the best way to stay physically and mentally healthly. It also helps my cholesterol as a side benefit. I also try to avoid the carbs but I do like the pasta.

We just got back from "previewing" a farm auction
to be held tomorrow. It's an estate auction for a deceased farmer. We talked to his brother
(the executor) and learned he is the youngest of 8 children, at age 79. Plus, his 4 sisters are all older
and all still alive. This guy looked very healthy and fit.
About 5-8 and he confirmed 150#, the same weight
as when he was in the service. Pretty hard to beat good genes.

JG

JG

You are right about the genes. I have a friend that is 60. He stays trim, eats what he wants and exercises a little. His father lived to 95. I only wish .........

Back
Top Bottom