Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Important IS TV In Our Lives
Old 11-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't owned one for about 4 years now. Life is much better without it.

Try living without TV for about a month - you may never go back
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I download probably 95% of what I watch. We have about 16 shows we watch each week (when they are on the air). Only 10-12 or so are on the air in any given week though. Probably 5-6 hours of tv time per week for these shows. I've got a backlog of documentary type shows (history channel, learning channel, discovery channel type stuff) that fill in the gaps.

Occasionally we'll find some tv shows that we missed when they first air, and download then watch a few old seasons.

I really dislike just having the tv on in the background though. Too much noise, I hate commercials, etc.

I like the particular shows we watch. They are entertaining, funny, and/or interesting. It is also a good source of entertainment for those times when I spend 30-40 minutes feeding the baby(ies) and letting them fall asleep.

There are times when we just don't get around to watching tv for a week or two if we are busy. And during the week it is on for an average of 20 minutes per day probably - I like to have time to spend with my family and unwind without some idiot yelling on tv about how many thousand dollars off his Ford pickup trucks are TODAY ONLY!!!!!!

Then there was the time about a year ago where I didn't watch any tv for 3 months because I was too busy taking care of our newborn, working full time and taking classes towards my masters. I think it took a month to catch up on all the shows I missed!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #23

I like Battlestar Galactica too. But I watch it as political and social satire. Are those Cylons really neo-cons, or no? . HGTV is oftentimes on as background noise in the evening. DW reads and sometimes glances up to see the finished living room on the tele. I'm more process oriented so I watch Tanya's mammies make it happen . Plus, with my HGTV running nasty commentary, it reduces DW's desire to pay attention.

I don't remember that we ever go out of our way to watch any program. TV is sort of the default setting in the living room. Both of us jump if one or the other suggests a least bit exciting other choice that we can share in the evening, such as carrying out the garbage together or a Mall walk/visit.

Lately, with DISH choices so bad, we often end up with Star Trek:The Next Generation as our default setting in the evening, except on HGTV nite.

Shows I mostly pay attention to:

Battlestar Galactica
Jon Stewart
Keith Oberman (sp?) lately-- but that's fading fast with the passing political season
The MacGlaughlin Group (sp?) on Sunday nite public TV, politics
HBO on Sunday nite when something good is running
Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disEntropy Greg
I like Battlestar Galactica too.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Whew! I was worried there for a second that you were coming toward me in a cylon ship and I'd have to "jump." An ally, I like that in a space creature.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Is that discount only available to certain folks or plans? I have BC/BS, and never heard about it, but canceled my Y membership when they raised my monthly bill by 33% in 2 years............
Hi Fin - all I know is it works here in the twin cities for adults at most health clubs and not just from BC.
I would be interested if this is happening in the rest of country - it cuts the cost about in half for us...Reg $84 for the two of us less $20 each if we each make the goal = $44
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Primarily a portion of the daily 6pm news hour for me, with an occasional Sunday afternoon watching an NFL game or NASCAR race.

DW watches more TV, including 1-2 favourite sitcoms, Oprah. HGTV, TLC. Got the 100 channel standard cable package with really only bout 10 channels getting watched at all.

All on a CRT TV.....for foreseeable future.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:42 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i dont know about tv but i think food is pretty important in my life. as we get older i think food takes top place over sex.

HECK , I JUST PUT A MIRROR OVER MY KITCHEN TABLE ha ha ha ha
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #29

Had the ~$95/month cable bill for years (couple pay cannels and some on-demand orders). Then the kids started getting addicted to cartoon network and Nickelodeon ... couldn't pull them away without a fight.

Soooo we cancelled cable last month ... reduced TV to just the local stuff. The house has never been happier. Kids play outside or inside with thier toys. TV might be ON an hour/day. Don't miss-it.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #30

TV is on while DH is home, the minute he goes outside or leaves I turn it off. I watch the morning news, a few programs I enjoy in the evening and baseball. If I'm home alone for the day it might never be turned on until I want to watch the news. Although I do have to admit that when I'm alone here at night I like to have it on.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote