Join Early Retirement Today

How involved are you in your organizations? (not w*rk stuff)
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How involved are you in your organizations? (not w*rk stuff)

I was thrilled today to be offered a position of "greater" importance visibility within a veteran's organization - at the state level. One of my goals upon official retirement is to have more time to donate to the activities/organizations of my choice.

Since ER, how much time is spent volunteering with your group/organization of choice, if at all? Does the pleasure increase after ER?

Where is your volunteer time spent?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How involved are you in your organizations? (not w*rk stuff)
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I coach youth sports. Practices and games are about 8 hours a week. I also volunteer teach at the local medical school. Well, they twist my arm to do it. It takes about 3-5 hours preparation for every hour of class time.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025
Since ER, how much time is spent volunteering with your group/organization of choice, if at all? Does the pleasure increase after ER?
Too busy/lazy.

We'll help out with tae kwon do tournaments and I'll drive car pools for school field trips. Other than that I have too many other things I'd rather be doing.

Business Week had a good article a number of months back called something like "Candy Striper My Ass" about retired execs who would genuinely be able to add value to a non-profit as an exec (not just as a visible ego). These were people who knew how to file grant applications, raise funds, and organize large events. They mostly found out that they were expected to "pay their dues" as rank & file newbies before they could step up to the high-vis volunteer jobs.

We volunteered a couple of times at our kid's schools to help out in the classroom-- grading papers, prepping assignments, even lesson plans & curriculum. We were told, as a polite excuse more than an actual justification, that NCLB made it difficult to have classroom volunteers... but the library needed help shelving books! That was the end of that altruistic motivation.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I volunteered at our local help center for 5 years. During the 3rd year of volunteering there, I started giving my time to the police department. Since the help center was able to get enough money to hire more employees, I left them but am still at the police department. I have been there for 6 years.

Hours range from 5 to 15 per week. I love it.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Same reason why we didn't decide to have children. Too busy with ourselves and family.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #6

I tried volunteering at a hospice once and it didn't really work out for me. I was helping out with admin work and it was so frustrating having to take orders from people who were absolutely clueless as to how to get things done in the most efficient manner. I decided it was in everyone's best interest if I stopped trying to be a "good" person and return to my normal life before I physically hurt someone. I mean don't ask me to type something then tell me when I finish it two days latter "oops we've already done that one". My personality is of the kind where I just wanted to change their entire policy and procedures so it would function as it should in the real world. However it was their baby and I soon learnt they felt offended at even the smallest change. I try and restrict my charitable acts to writing a check to organisations I actually like.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #7

Not retired yet so still in professional organization. For several years coached basketball at local Y, currently active in our church particularly the environmental group (regularly lead hikes and take groups out kayaking), occasionally active in Heifer Project, Habitat project and fraternal group(Masons).
Old 04-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I teach a twice a week class on basic computing skills to adults (mostly north African immigrants, a few from South/Central America). We also teach them resume development, interviewing skills, etc. The work itself is enjoyable and the students are great. Many of them are working multiple jobs and taking this class. I have kept my eye out for other opportunities but have not seen many that would be both worthwhile and enjoyable.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #9

I volunteer with church activities (have done work trips, flood clean-up, work with children, such as VBS and substitute Sunday School Teacher, Usher and on various committees, currently Witness.) I also belong to a women's group that raises money to help various local groups, such as food pantries, Relay for Life, Ronald McDonald House, Rosenbaum House, Scott's Run Settlement House. We also adopt families at Christmas. This group also does a lot of sewing projects, making hats for cancer patients, lap blankets for hospitalized military and nursing home patients and quilting projects. I joined and was immediately made the Continuing Education Committee chairperson and the Treasurer. I enjoy the women and there are all ages from 30's to 80's, but I hate all of the meetings. I have been bored to tears at a couple of the continuing education meetings that I have attended and I am not much for sewing. I have to decided to quit this club as soon as the year is over.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet ER'd - have been in Rotary for a few years. Enjoy it immensely. Am slated to be president of our club in 2008/09.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I was the lawyer for an organization that owns a number of facilities where they care for people with various disabilities. When I told them I was retiring they asked me to join the board. Nice organization.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote