How is your Sleep? Not a poll. Just asking 4 comments

Retire2013

Recycles dryer sheets
I have already had trouble with getting a good night's sleep off and on for the last 10 plus years. With Covid-19, it has been a little more challenging than usual for me to achieve my goal which is 7 hours of sleep. Anyway, this is NOT a poll (simply because I don't know how to set one up:(

Please post your comments regarding how well you are sleeping in general in ER, and especially now during Covid19. How many hours do you get a night, etc.? If you have trouble sleeping, please share what you find most helpful in getting a good night's sleep. I am just curious.

In case anyone wonders what I am doing to help myself sleep. I do NOT take any prescribed meds for sleep. I take 5 mg of Melatonin occasionally to help me sleep. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Or on some nights, I take 1/2 a pill of Kirland OTC Sleep Aid. Kirkland Sleep Aid generally works but it causes grogginess the next day so I am trying NOT to take it unless I have had multiple consecutive nights of poor sleep. Just FYI.

Sleeping extra well.
I think it is the anxiety of everything that makes me more tired.

Besides sleeping at night, I have found I'm good to take a nap around 4pm many days and have to tell DW to wake me up. Once she let me sleep to 6:30pm. :eek:

I have already had trouble with getting a good night's sleep off and on for the last 10 plus years. With Covid-19, it has been a little more challenging than usual for me to achieve my goal which is 7 hours of sleep. Anyway, this is NOT a poll (simply because I don't know how to set one up:(

Please post your comments regarding how well you are sleeping in general in ER, and especially now during Covid19. How many hours do you get a night, etc.? If you have trouble sleeping, please share what you find most helpful in getting a good night's sleep. I am just curious.

In case anyone wonders what I am doing to help myself sleep. I do NOT take any prescribed meds for sleep. I take 5 mg of Melatonin occasionally to help me sleep. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Or on some nights, I take 1/2 a pill of Kirland OTC Sleep Aid. Kirkland Sleep Aid generally works but it causes grogginess the next day so I am trying NOT to take it unless I have had multiple consecutive nights of poor sleep. Just FYI.

I go through phases - and have done so the past 20 years or so - but more often than not, I don't sleep well. I can get up to eight hours of sleep, but oftentimes I get no more than five to six. I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, but staying asleep is a problem. When I sleep poorly for a number of nights in a row, then I'll take melatonin which works like a charm. I don't want to take it every night though, so I only take it when I really feel the need.

Edit to add: I haven't noticed any change to my sleeping habits since Covid-19.

Last edited:
I usually don't have any trouble falling asleep, but when I do, then something alkaline like a banana, chamomile or peppermint tea before bedtime always helps.

I sleep very well all night, DW has always slept poorly, in fits and starts. Covid-19 hasn't changed how we're sleeping at all so far, and I can't imagine why it ever would unless the economy is destroyed beyond repair - but I don't expect that so far.

I just checked my data on my fancy new smartwatch. I wear it a few nights on, few nights off. Looks like I sleep about 10 hours. Ive been having to take a Zyrtec so also had a nap yesterday I think as a result. Early on, market dropping like a rock, lots of unknowns, important trip for an event planned I was HATING we would miss my sleep was no good. Lots of tossing and wakefulness. Made my peace with the market. Important event was resched. We have plenty of groceries which was also a "thing". So I guess Im doing alright. Importat note: Ive always been a long sleeper, needing much more sleep than my peers. With a 0730 report time I had to be in bed NLT 10pm to attempt to survive. And that wasn't pretty.
Edited: spelling

Since I stopped working, my sleep has been better. There hasn't been any change from the virus.

I have almost never had trouble sleeping due to thinking/worrying etc. I have long been blessed with the ability to simply turn off my mind when I close my eyes, and I fall to sleep quickly. Most nights, I don't even dream. However, I do find now that I am older that it is sometimes difficult to find a position that is comfortable for me, especially when the cats are in bed with us. And I get up to pee more often than I once did. But other than that, I sleep well.

My principal problem when I was working was permanent sleep deprivation caused by having demanding jobs that required extremely long hours. I spent over 40 years getting less than six hours of sleep a night. Now, I sleep almost exactly eight hours a night and wake up fresh and ready to go. A morning coffee is no longer a necessity, just a habit.

I have found that a cool bedroom, lightweight covers and a firm pillow help promote more restful sleep, although I can sleep almost anywhere.

Lately, horrendous. I can fall asleep fine due to exhaustion and stress, but I am up painfully early a lot of the time. 4:30 this morning.

My sleep is no different after the market correction and CV than before. I go to bed 11-12 and wake up at 6-7 fresh and rested. Generally wake up twice in the night and go back to sleep within minutes.

I'm a lifetime insomniac who has tried everything under the sun for sleep. I took meds, trazadone, zolpidum..., for years and did all the OTC crap that you can imagine. None of that garbage works long term. Imagine taking zolpidum to make you sleep and it stops working. Can't sleep with it or without, spent months only dozing a couple hours nightly. I was there in 2015 and it sucked.[emoji35]

What changed? For one, and it's big for many people, is to eliminate all alcohol. After a couple months I can tell a major difference. When I wake up and use the bathroom in the night I'm only partially awake and feel fuzzy all over. Sleep returns in minutes. I lost a lot of weight to get to my BMI and try to exercise regularly.

Cannabis, CBD or an indica strain, also helps. Besides plant based meds, meditation and music can help. DW uses an app, Insite Timer, that has both. Sarah Blondin does some stuff that I enjoy. Have you ever done deep breathing exercises to help with anxiety? I find them helpful too.

My biggest obstacle to a good night's sleep is having my smartphone by my side. Still haven't broken that habit.

With all the craziness going on today, I do make a conscious effort to at least go to bed early, keep up with my exercise (have some dumbbells on a dumbbell rack and a treadmill), and eating fruits and vegetables as part of my regular routine.

DW just picked up a mouth guard via the drive-thru at a local pharmacy.

She's afraid she has started grinding her teeth since all this started.

My sleep is no different after the market correction and CV than before. I go to bed 11-12 and wake up at 6-7 fresh and rested. Generally wake up twice in the night and go back to sleep within minutes.

I'm a lifetime insomniac who has tried everything under the sun for sleep. I took meds, trazadone, zolpidum..., for years and did all the OTC crap that you can imagine. None of that garbage works long term. Imagine taking zolpidum to make you sleep and it stops working. Can't sleep with it or without, spent months only dozing a couple hours nightly. I was there in 2015 and it sucked.[emoji35]

What changed? For one, and it's big for many people, is to eliminate all alcohol. After a couple months I can tell a major difference. When I wake up and use the bathroom in the night I'm only partially awake and feel fuzzy all over. Sleep returns in minutes. I lost a lot of weight to get to my BMI and try to exercise regularly.

Cannabis, CBD or an indica strain, also helps. Besides plant based meds, meditation and music can help. DW uses an app, Insite Timer, that has both. Sarah Blondin does some stuff that I enjoy. Have you ever done deep breathing exercises to help with anxiety? I find them helpful too.

Yes, I do various breathing exercises and they do help me most of the time. My problem is I tend to wake up too early like around 5 am and there's no need for me to be up that early. I stay in bed, doing the breathing exercises hoping to fall back to sleep and sometimes I succeed. If I can't fall back to sleep in 30 minutes then I'd just get up and get out of bed.

While working, I had fairly steady difficulty staying asleep through the night. I could usually fall asleep but would wake up early. This improved a lot after RE. With the market now, I am far less anxious on a regular basis than I was in the Great Recession, but my sleep issues are pretty much back. I rotate through low doses of various sleep aides to help out.

I am sleeping ok but when if I wake up in the middle of the night it's harder to get back to sleep than before. My mind starts thinking of loved ones who are at risk and praying for them helps calm the storm so I can get back to sleep.
Seems like my dreams are weirder than usual too. : )

Pretty much always slept 7 hours to the minute for years, according to my CPAP. In the last 45 days, I am getting closer to 8 hours a night now, but I haven't changed anything in my life style either. Corona virus included.

I usually sleep pretty well, but if I go more than a few nights without sleeping decently, a little edible (my "special chocolate") with THC does the trick...what fantastic sleep I get with that.

In regards to current events, I limit myself to 30 minutes a day for "latest information." As much as I would really like to just 100% ignore it, I can't. And since my DW will be starting proton therapy in a few weeks, I am obligated to know as much as I can about what restrictions/etc. are in place. The 30 minutes a day is PLENTY of time to digest the latest developments.

Sleeping worse due to portfolio concern, but never really slept that much anyway.

For years I’ve had a philosophy that if I can’t change “it” I don’t worry about it. I sleep 8-9 hours per night and still do.

DH, on the other hand, has a worry box the size of Grand Canyon. He uses medical marijuana to manage his anxiety and sleep.

Sleeping great. But I was ~100% cash before this stuff started. I do nap more during the day since we are under a shelter in place order. (not many places to go anyway) I'll watch the business news much of the day but I'm in CV overload so I'll often fall asleep.

Last edited:
My sleep has improved in quality but decreased in quantity. Has nothing to do with Corona but with sleep apnea. Diagnosed and treated for it and it has made a world of difference. Down from 12 hours of poor sleep (not to mention napping) and back to my normal 6 hours a night.

Back
Top Bottom