Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtotravel View Post
..... No need for 20+ pairs of high heeled shoes that hurt my feet just looking at them.
Ouch! Hurts just to read this
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Company dress code had progressed to business casual by the time I left, so I have one suit (typically only for funerals) and I pick up jeans ($9) at Goodwill for yard work and other dirty/messy jobs. Around the house, it's mostly sweats in the winter or shorts and T-shirts in the summer.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

This week is my two years retired anniversary. This week I am donating my 12 formal dresses for work events that I haven't needed in retirement life. I don't expect to attend any formal events in the near future. New space in my closet for gardening, running and kayaking clothes!
Old 03-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #64

Stopped wearing "work clothes" 20 years before I retired. It was either business casual or hospital scrubs and sneakers or solid black flats. In the clinic it was simple trousers and tops with flats. Nothing to get rid of. My white coats wore out and I stopped wearing them.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #65

Uniform apparel for me was a suit and tie, until the earthquake in 2011 (I worked in Japan). After the earthquake, when electricity was rationed over the following months (ie, hot and humid with no AC sometimes) we went to a business casual, with a logo’d polo shirt and nice slacks. I still have 6-8 brand new polos that have never been worn. After we came home, I lost a lot of weight and the suits no longer fit, so they got tossed. I no longer own a suit...hope there aren’t any funerals any time soon.

And I found all that weight that I lost, just in case anyone was worried about me losing things...😎
Old 03-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I wore uniforms, I had to turn them over at my exit interview.
I hate having to decide what to wear!
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

I dropped off all my work clothes at a thrift store about 5 days after I retired and then moved out of the area a couple of days later. No regrets!!
CowgirlUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
I can relate to that! I wear pretty much the same thing every day:

1) Adidas black gym shorts
2) Landsend jewel neck ladies' t-shirt
3) Teva Tirra sandals

These are my "retiree casual" clothes. I have the t-shirt in probably 2 dozen different colors, but that's the only thing that differs. If I wanted to, I could just stick to one color but this way people know that I actually do change my clothes.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:03 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Don’t mean to hijack the OP, but this seems like a good tie-in to the Conversation. I can start a new thread if it’s more appropriate.

What has any former military members done with their uniforms? Whether you retired or did your 3/4 years and got out, did you keep them, donate them, sell them, etc ?
I’ve been out for 24 years and can’t bring myself just to dump mine.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #70

Gone immediately , transferred to my new uniform Costco shorts and polo shirts SAS shoes.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #71

For my company-branded shirts (collared golf shirts, t-shirts, fluorescent yellow safety shirts): During my last week of work, I systematically wore each shirt one last time, washed them, and then cut out the logos...then reduced the shirts to cleaning rags by cutting them into pieces. It was somewhat cathartic. I had wanted to burn them, but my wife insisted we should recycle them.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fortunately, since retiring I dropped 40 lbs so none of that stuff fits, and I have no reason to get them altered. Gave away almost all my dress shirts as I can’t be bothered with cuff links except for my tux. And that basically gets worn only formal nights when we take a cruise.

Which reminds me that during the pandemic I lost another 10 and everything became work clothes anyway so need to rebuild my wardrobe!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:51 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
What has any former military members done with their uniforms? Whether you retired or did your 3/4 years and got out, did you keep them, donate them, sell them, etc ?
I’ve been out for 24 years and can’t bring myself just to dump mine.
Before I went on terminal leave I put 95% of mine in the command's break room with a sign "Going out of business. Free to a good home."

If you're near a military base then they'll have a base thrift store with uniforms, although your stuff might be woefully outdated. Otherwise you could donate them to a civilian thrift store like Goodwill.

I kept one set of long-sleeve coveralls for painting, and I kept some insignia if my family cares, but otherwise I'm over it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
Gotta love the dress code detail! Our county forbade us "hot pants," which must have entered the employee handbook sometime in the '60s. One of DH's jobs specifically called out "board shorts" as inappropriate.
Oh man that made me crack up! Some of our shared services employees had started to come in nightclub clothes, leggings & "athliesure". Eventually, the very formal dress code was updated to exclude "immodest blouses or skirts, Capris too short or tight, cargo pants, stilettos, flip flops, tank tops, & for men nothing but a dress shirt/ tie (and pants of course)". It was hilarious since one of the directors (not mine) was a supreme enforcer, yet wore some wildly questionable clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Saving just a few things mine got dumped 5 years into retirement.
Ruh roh... now you've given me a new goal! I hit 5 years this Halloween & I'm sure there's more w*rk stuff that can go. I really enjoy getting rid of stuff, and I have found some treasures that were "missing" for some time.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post

I felt the same when working. The solution was to use weather app and calendar every other Sunday afternoon to line up clothes for the next 2 weeks.

That way, I only had to hate deciding what to wear to the office 2-3 x month vs every day.

Now it’s 7 tees and either shorts or sweatpants, depending on season.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote