How long do you keep cars?

Just added a rear view camera to DW's 2009 hatchback. Nice system, it is integrated in the mirror, so nothing clunky.

I’d like one of those for my 2003 SUV. It lacked Bluetooth and camera. I solved the first with a transmitter but still no camera.

Would you mind saying what/where you found yours?

I’d like one of those for my 2003 SUV. It lacked Bluetooth and camera. I solved the first with a transmitter but still no camera.

Would you mind saying what/where you found yours?

Gladly. It is an Auto Vox T1400 kit found at Amazon and available elsewhere, although the kits are different. Here's the Amazon kit. https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Wireless-Installation-Interference-Waterproof/dp/B00J863EI2/

The wireless camera to video-in-mirror works well.

I was able to easily find the backup light wire to splice into for the camera. Used my soldering skills, although it comes with a "bite" connector that I didn't like.

I haven't hardwired the mirror yet. I'm using the long wire to the accessory plug for now. I'm making sure DW likes it before I splice into some wiring I know exists up in the headliner.

The mirror itself just easily slipped right on the current mount, which was for a Pontiac Vibe, which is really a Toyota Matrix when it comes to parts. So, for Toyota, it is a slam dunk. For others, they have adapters that some people complain about. YMMV.

The one thing I would miss is the day/night toggle switch for dimming rear bright lights. I asked DW about this and she said, "What switch?" She never used it anyway, so no difference to her. :LOL:

Last edited:
Gladly. It is an Auto Vox T1400 kit found at Amazon and available elsewhere, although the kits are different. Here's the Amazon kit. https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Wireless-Installation-Interference-Waterproof/dp/B00J863EI2/

The wireless camera to video-in-mirror works well.

I was able to easily find the backup light wire to splice into for the camera. Used my soldering skills, although it comes with a "bite" connector that I didn't like.

I haven't hardwired the mirror yet. I'm using the long wire to the accessory plug for now. I'm making sure DW likes it before I splice into some wiring I know exists up in the headliner.

The mirror itself just easily slipped right on the current mount, which was for a Pontiac Vibe, which is really a Toyota Matrix when it comes to parts. So, for Toyota, it is a slam dunk. For others, they have adapters that some people complain about. YMMV.

The one thing I would miss is the day/night toggle switch for dimming rear bright lights. I asked DW about this and she said, "What switch?" She never used it anyway, so no difference to her. :LOL:

Thanks! I’ve placed it on my Amazon list and will take a closer look regarding my vehicle. Looks nice.

Let’s see... with an add-on GPS (Garmin dash mount), Bluetooth FM transmitter (some who-knows company but it works), and this... could be everything’s up to date in Kansas City!

But don’t ask about MPG.

Love the look of the Edge. How is it for reliability and maintenance costs?

Currently have 2017 Honda CRV and just purchased a new 2019 Ford F250. Plan to buy a little nicer one than we have now and we will be able to pull it.

We have been married 40 years and have probably had over 140 cars now. We are car people, what can I say. Some cars were used and DH fixed up and resold. Seems we are over that part now.

We keep our cars until we don't. Longest we ever had a car was a 2001 Toyota convertible Spyder. Had it for 11 years with 122,000 miles on it. Traded it in on the new truck. We will probably keep the truck till we no longer RV. The Honda now has 16,000 on it and will be 2 years old in August.

I just this week made a trip to the DMV to try to get a duplicate title. They still show a lien on title from 2007. Jumped through a few hoops with Carmax (they were very gracious and helpful ) and they are going to send me the paperwork to clear title.
It was stolen in 2009 and recovered by local police after I already sent keys out to Geico so I thought that was when I lost the title but this is older then that.
The car is a 2002 but with low mileage 84k. Still this may be my year for something new. I have my eye on the Honda Insight.
My last car was a Ford Taurus that had transmission problems and brakes that I replaced 3 times. Had that car for 7 years.

I saw these posts yesterday and went back to Edmunds dot com to read about the 2019 Highlander again. It sure looks like a terrific SUV, and even though it is pretty pricey I have enough money set aside to cover it. Just not quite motivated to go look at SUV's right now. I admit that I love my 2009 Venza a lot and that is a big factor for me. But, if my Venza starts needing more repairs, I'll take a Highlander out for a test drive, and maybe a Murano, a CRV, and a few others. F is driving a 2003 Murano with 260,000+ miles on it and it has impressed me, too.

At age 70, almost 71, it is hard to know if I should:

(1) Buy a new SUV now, because I don't have that many years left, I love new cars, I have the money, and since I keep them for about 10 years usually, it's now or never!
Or,

(2) Wait and not buy an SUV now, because I really don't drive many miles any more and that will probably decrease so I won't get the use out of it that a younger person would. Besides my Venza only has 30K miles on it (even though it is showing some wear and tear).

Decisions, decisions. Maybe this summer.

This is the fifth year of the current Highlander model. I haven't checked, but my guess is that there will be an all-new Highlander for 2020, as Toyota is on a five year cycle and there is a new chassis for most of the other models now. The Corolla went six years this time, which is unusual. The 2020 Corollas are already out.

This is the fifth year of the current Highlander model. I haven't checked, but my guess is that there will be an all-new Highlander for 2020, as Toyota is on a five year cycle and there is a new chassis for most of the other models now.

Yes, I saw an article a couple of days ago saying this was the last year for the current model Highlander. It suggested anyone thinking about buying a 2019 wait a few months as the 2019's might be discounted to clear them out.

Yes, I saw an article a couple of days ago saying this was the last year for the current model Highlander. It suggested anyone thinking about buying a 2019 wait a few months as the 2019's might be discounted to clear them out.

Oooooooooooooooooh!!!!! GOOD IDEA!!!

I wonder when the new model year usually starts for Highlanders? I guess I could Google that. :blush: (EDIT: OK, did that, January 2020. Perfect, that will give me time to think about it.)

The big Toyota dealer less than a mile away from us, has at least 30-50 Highlanders sitting on their lot. They might be inclined to talk turkey.

If I don't have to push them, I'm good.

Pretty good. I like to buy used cars in cherry condition for no more than $20,000 and keep it for at least 10 years. $20,000/120 months = $166 month. If I get $5000 back then the number drops to $125 month.

I got a used 2009 Lexus RX350 in cherry condition from a Toyota car dealer for $19,000 three years ago for my daughter. I expect my cost will be between $125 to $175 a month.

I prefer not to pay more than $200 a month since I am retired. As long as the used car is in cherry condition, I am getting great value. I discovered most of the cherry condition cars are being sold by new car dealerships after a trade in because private sellers rarely have cars in cherry condition. If the dealer only wants a dealer kbb price in cherry or excellent condition, then I am will to pay this price.

Excellent job!!

I get push back from just about everyone, but I keep cars as long as I can. No reason for me to buy a new one. I look at a car as getting from point A to point B. Some want something new and nice every so often and that's fine. I simply don't look at it like that.

It's not a matter of right or wrong to me, more a matter of taste and where ones priorities lie.

Last edited:
My 2009 Honda CRV just turned 10 years old this week. It does not quite have 100,000 miles yet. I am thinking of keeping it one more year. I put more upgrades on it than any other car. It has an all leather package. I usually keep my cars at least 8-9 years.

Oooooooooooooooooh!!!!! GOOD IDEA!!!

I wonder when the new model year usually starts for Highlanders? I guess I could Google that. :blush: (EDIT: OK, did that, January 2020. Perfect, that will give me time to think about it.)

The big Toyota dealer less than a mile away from us, has at least 30-50 Highlanders sitting on their lot. They might be inclined to talk turkey.

My oldest sister, being 78 did not want the last year of a run... so she bought the newest one with the bells and whistles as she really wants the extra security new tech has to offer..

The cost difference was not that bad and she has the latest features...

No need to skimp the last few years of your life... enjoy the money!!!

My oldest sister, being 78 did not want the last year of a run... so she bought the newest one with the bells and whistles as she really wants the extra security new tech has to offer..

The cost difference was not that bad and she has the latest features...

No need to skimp the last few years of your life... enjoy the money!!!

Good idea; definitely worth considering! :flowers:

My cars...
1972 Used vega..piece of junk for 2 years. I was in the military and it was all I can afford.
1972 Used Dodge colt.....another piece of junk for 2 years. Still in the military.
1974 Used Pontiac catalina.....fast car with 455 engine for 3 years. Regreted selling it.
1980 New Chevy chevette......had kids, needed good mileage but piece of junk. 12 years.
1984 New Pontiac firebird.....got a promotion and brought new. Great car lasted 18 years.
1988 Used Oldsmobile 4 cyl.....needed a commute car for 3 yrs Good but not great car.
1988 Used GMC safari......needed a truck but decided on a van. Work horse for 18 years
1992 Used BMW 525i.......wife wanted a luxury car. Good but not great.
1995 Used Lexus ls400......good luxury for 4 yrs but disappointed with performance.
2000 Used Corvette.....great performance car for 4 yrs. Divorced and had to sell.
2001 Used BMW 330i.....great car for 2nd wife. She is still driving it for 10 years now.
2000 Used Chevy Astro.....replaced my GMC safari. Still driving it for 10 years..

My problem...They don't make Astro or Safari anymore and I need the interior capacity, towing capacity of 5000 lbs for my boat and it has to fit inside my garage. Only the highlander with V6 and tow option comes close but it just a little too small. When I look back, I tend to prefer performance cars or work horse vans. Economy and luxury cars are at the bottom of my list. Junk cars I tend to sell after a few years while great cars and work horse vans, I would keep for 10 years plus.

DH's car is a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with 45K miles on it. We mainly keep this one around for emergencies and DIY construction projects, of which we do many. :)

My car is a 2007 Prius with 113K miles on it. A year ago, I replaced the hybrid battery for $3K (ouch). My plan was to keep the car until at least 15 yrs and/or 150K miles. However, just last week, the motherboard that controls the lights on the dashboard (speedometer) failed. I did a hard reset which temporarily fixed it, but it has already failed again and now I'm looking at another $1K to replace it.

DH is pushing me to buy a new/used car. I still think it's worth keeping this one and repairing it. Not sure how that disagreement is going to shake out.....

Love the look of the Edge. How is it for reliability and maintenance costs?
We had a 2008 Edge awd Limited, bought at 2 years old and owned it for almost 10 years. No issues at all with any reliability or maintenance. I do my own maintenance, but nothing except oil changes, new spark plugs and serp belt at 100K, and a few trans fluid changes (really just draining sump and refiling with about 5 quarts) and a set of rear brakes. Couple sets of tires. It had 160K miles when i traded it to my nephew. Would not have done that if I had any concerns. It was also towed flat four wheels down behind my motorhome for approx 15K miles in addition to the 160K on the odometer. Maintenance costs are pretty low, nothing exotic or special required that costs a lot of money. I would have kept it longer, but nephew wanted to get rid of his Jeep, so we made a trade where I paid off the Jeep loan and then gave him the Edge. He wanted to get out of some payments and concentrate on paying down student loan debt. I get a nice Jeep to drive and it will also tow behind the motorhome.

DH's car is a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with 45K miles on it. We mainly keep this one around for emergencies and DIY construction projects, of which we do many. :)

My car is a 2007 Prius with 113K miles on it. A year ago, I replaced the hybrid battery for $3K (ouch). My plan was to keep the car until at least 15 yrs and/or 150K miles. However, just last week, the motherboard that controls the lights on the dashboard (speedometer) failed. I did a hard reset which temporarily fixed it, but it has already failed again and now I'm looking at another $1K to replace it.

DH is pushing me to buy a new/used car. I still think it's worth keeping this one and repairing it. Not sure how that disagreement is going to shake out.....

There may be a recall on that Prius dashboard deal. I think something similar happened on our Prius for work. WE put a lot of miles on it. Wore out at 230k miles

check w a dealer

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom