Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many vehicles per driver in your household?
None 2 0.87%
Less than 1 (e.g., 1 car for 2 of you) 34 14.72%
1 94 40.69%
Between 1 & 2 (e.g., 3 cars for 2 of you) 40 17.32%
2 26 11.26%
more than 2 35 15.15%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

We have one car we share and I usually drive when we are together. My wife has poor night vision and I prefer to drive anyway. We don't use public transportation but it is available and cheap. We have a railroad that comes to a half mile away from our house which is direct to Budapest and costs roughly $5 for a 2 hour trip. The same for bus service which is a bit faster but the same price. The bus is far more comfortable as our local trains are more or less "rustic" with wooden benches. They are updating all the trains so maybe soon that will be more comfortable. We typically drive less than 15,000 km per year. We bought our car new and it is a very modern VW Passat with all the bells and whistles. We especially like the lane holding which is great for fog and a reactive cruise control. The auto parking is also a nice feature all of which makes senior driving easier. We could get by without a car but we really have it for long distance traveling. Being in Hungary we are geographically in the exact center of Europe and many places are within a 1 day drive. We are midway between Vienna and Budapest as well as Graz, Zagreb and Bratislava. All are roughly 2 hours away. For airports we either use Vienna or Budapest. Munich, Sarajevo, and Venice are all 5 hours away by car. Places like Maribor, Lubljana, and Trieste are 3-4 hours away.

I normally use a bicycle for the majority of my travels locally. I have a yacht at nearby marina and the distance is 4 miles each way. I stop off at the grocery if I need something and have a backpack for that. Larger shopping I take the car. I also go mountain biking or long road rides whenever possible. There is a bike trail that goes all the way around the lake and is 200 km. I have not yet done the whole thing but the railroad also runs around the lake so you can just catch the next train back and they run every 15 minutes.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 05:20 AM   #102
Dryer sheet aficionado

4 vehicles.1 2018 Honda Civic
1 2012 Nissan LEAF (all electric)
1 2012 Can Am Spyder 3 wheel motorcycle - wife
1 1999 Kawasaki Concours motorcycle - me

Eventually hope to be down to 1 car. We typically keep our cars over 10 years.
habelsgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:55 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have 3 DW has a 2014 Kia Sorento Limited with 45000 mi. My 2017 Ram2500 with 42000 mj\i. for Daily driver and for pulling our camper. My 2007 Yamaha RS Venture touring motorcycle for hauling my DW as well as my small trailer behind it on long trips so that DW can carry all her shoes and toiletries,LOL. We/she debating on trading her Kia in for one of the newer AWD suv's.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One each. During most of our working career, we had three vehicles for the two of us. Daily drivers for work. A mini-van for weekends and family outings (three of us).

Now retired, we sometimes go to appointments and errands together. Sometimes not. Anyway, the 2nd vehicle (DW's) is approaching 13 years old, but it only has 61,000 miles on it and a near bullet-proof engine. It is worth keeping around for the separate appointments and in case the primary vehicle (4.5 years; 26,000 miles) ever needs to be in for service overnight.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
3 for 2
Old 01-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

3 for 2

DW drives a 2015 Civic. Good, reliable car. She does the most driving. I have a 2018 Beetle convertible that I just had to have, and only drive it in the nice weather. My other vehicle is a '13 Frontier 4x4 that I use for housing stuff occasionally, and bad weather.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Currently we officially have 2 cars per driver. DW has her DD, I have mine. Then I have one hobby car under a frame-off rebuild and customization. I have one more hobby car that is drivable. I voted 2 per since they are all titled. The one being worked on is intended to be driven. 3 are currently plated and insured even though one is under a cover for the winter.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I each have a couple of cars. The Suburban is her (our) G-Man conveyance. She also still owns her then new 1986 Buick Grand National. Her dad was a muscle car guy and bought it for a graduation gift.

I drive an 8 year old VW GTI. We tend to keep our cars for at least 12-15 years and as of right now am still able to do most maintenance and repairs, although crawling and twisting around is not as easy now days.
As my username hints to I also have a 1967 Karmann Ghia.
The wife and I like to take our fun cars over to the Saturday Cars N’ Coffee to hang out with our fellow gearheads.
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

2019 Lincoln Nautilus and 2012 Honda Accord for around town and in parking lots (live in college town).
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We sold DW’s car the week she retired. We’ve only had 1 car between the 2 of us for 10 years now, plus we have owned our current car for 2.5 years and only put on 6,000 miles.

+1

One car (two months old) for two people (63 and 61 years old), but neither one of us drives much. It’s a great advantage of living in the center city. Replacing a 2007 Cadillac DTS, bought a 2019 Subaru Outback in November — and it has only 15 miles on the odometer because we have not yet driven it, even once, after driving it home. My guess is that this one will last the rest of our driving lives if we take good care of it.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

2 vehicles and 2 drivers. We live in a semi rural area and have no public transportation to speak of and nothing within walking distance. So we need 2 reliable vehicles for us. One 2010 Dodge Ram pickup and a more recent SUV with AWD. Might upgrade the pickup in a couple of years time. I doubt we would have more than 2 vehicles at any one time however.
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

The Subaru for daily use. The convertible for fun use. The HD pickup truck for towing use. The Harley for fun use.
Caskem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #112
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW has a 13 forester turbo, she won't let me touch it

I have a lifted, 09 forester turbo, a 74 f100, a 95 firehawk vert and a 08 ezgo rxv
Old 01-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

We have two cars. Two drivers. But one is only a summer car. For us that means three months max.

After retirement we were traveling four to five months a year. We decided to get rid of one car. We based that on the ease of getting a short term rental anytime we needed it. Guess what? In seven years we never did need a rental.

The summer car, a convertable, is a bit of a luxury. The sedan remains parked for most of the three months that we have the convertable on the road.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

We have two cars. Two drivers. But one is only a summer car. For us that means three months max.

After retirement we were traveling four to five months a year. We decided to get rid of one car. We based that on the ease of getting a short term rental anytime we needed it. Guess what? In seven years we never did need a rental. Giving that second car to our son was a good decision.

The summer car, a convertable, is a bit of a luxury. The sedan remains parked for most of the three months that we have the convertable on the road.

When we go away for eight/nine weeks we remove all except fire and theft insurance on the vehicle.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote