How many countries have you been to?

I'm at 37 (and am also 37 years old!) DW is probably about 5 countries behind. Our 4-yr son hit 10 countries last fall if you include the US. None of these are airport stopovers.

30. All in the Northern Hemisphere. Need to try the other half someday.

Now 31. I'm in Brazil on business so now have been in 'the bottom half' of the world. And I must say perception is reality. The ladies in Brazil are quite yummy. I like Brazil overall. Food is great. Big city of Sao Paulo but it is not polluted like many other large cities. People are very friendly. Language is pretty. Very nice overall.

Government seems screwed up from what I can tell. Traffic is a mess. People love living on credit down here. So there are some warning signs. But for now all is good. Nice place to visit.

Visited about 40 and lived in 3. Strongest candidates for expat living are Brazil and Thailand.

Onward, interesting conclusion, both countries were also among our "finalists" (along with Mexico, a specific location in France and the Algarve region in Portugal). I think Thailand has been amply discussed - Friendly and respectful people, inexpensive, great food, great beaches. Do you care to elaborate on why Brazil is on your list?

Only 16 if you take out airport stop (Germany) and Hong Kong. I spent 5 days in Hong Kong - so I think it should count at least as much as cruise ship stops that others are counting.

Bahamas was a cruise ship stop - but we had 2 separate days.

The last 10 years we've spent more time in Italy than anywhere as we've reconnected with my husbands 2nd cousins. We're considering part time retirement in Sicily - the weather is so nice (comparable to San Diego where we live) and the food is SO good. It would be nice to have our kids more emersed than just the 3 week trips we've been making - plus a chance for them to get to know their cugini.

difficult to keep track of all of those Caribbean stops on the cruises I've been on... at some point I think I need to get a map out and write down the places I've been so I don't regret forgetting later in life...

I would estimate I've been to approximately 1 country for every year I've been alive. I wonder how much longer I can keep that up :)

Do you care to elaborate on why Brazil is on your list?

I like Brazilians' general attitude toward life. The beaches are great. Downsides are the crime rate and rising cost of living, especially if you're spending dollars.

21 so far, going to Korea in a month, so 22 soon. A goal in life is to travel to all 50 states (only Alaska + ND left) and all 7 continents. Korea will be my first trip to Asia (unless you count Sinai, I don't). I plan to use South America as a launch point for Antartica, although from what I've read its crazy expensive and will have to wait till I am an empty nester (sorry kids). I lived in Spain for a semester when I knocked out big parts of Europe. I am excited that my kids are getting big enough to travel. In my near term mental list I have Italy (again), Ireland, Alaska on my mind, plus family travel spots (San Diego/Orlando again, etc). Hopefully we'll do those in the next 5 years.

USA + Puerto Rico
Canada
Mexico
Soviet Union (Russia)
Soviet Union (Lithuania)
Spain
France
Italy
Vatican City
Austria
Czechosloavia (Czech Republic)
Germany
Portugal
Morrocco
Gibralter
Egypt
Australia
Belize
Greece
United Kingdom (England / Scotland)
Netherlands

Just booked a 'Get Away', (not that we have anything to get away from, but it's the thought that counts), to Costa Rica for the end of this month......which will bring my total to 61.

10 including:

USA (including Alaska & Hawaii)
Germany
Italy
Ireland
Japan
Korea
Panama
Canada
Iceland
Mexico

lol...can I count Catalina Island? ;)

A few years back, I read a couple of books by Jim Rogers, an eccentric billionaire who toured the world twice with ground vehicles. The first trip was on a motorcycle, and the second time in a specially built SUV. Each trip took a couple of years. He talked about traveling through war-torn countries, and places where there were no roads. Each time he crossed the borders, he had to deal with customs and immigration. He bought and eat local food, negotiated and arranged for transportation and repair of his vehicles.

Now, that is a real word traveler. I will have to check out and read his books again.
I read them, too. The last time, he had a running blog on the trip, with photos.

You should read what he had to say about the country I am living in now.

14 although a couple were just stops along the way....

US
Canada
Mexico
Greenland
UK
France
Germany
Netherlands
Italy
Switzerland
Taiwan
Vietnam
Aruba
Bahamas

32 so far and keep going. I've been to most states/provinces within the U.S. and Canada. Mexico, the Caribbean (2), Most western Europe (10), the Orient (8), India, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Barzil, Argentina, South Africa, Morocco and Nepal. I'm not yet to the North and South Poles, Central Asia, Central America or the Middle East. My late husband regularly travelled to Jordan and Saudi but never bring me along owing to the sensitivity of his work. I love visiting Isreal and Egypt but still consider the region not save for visitors (especially westerners). My next desination will either be Sri Lanka or Peru but Tibet may also be a good option. The high altitude may post a problem for me though.

I must have a bad memory.... Someone asked me this the other day and I have no idea! I would say about 40-45 but never stopped to count. I don't know without my old passports if I could even count them. Also, I have stopped in a few during layovers where I never left the airport, not sure if I would count them or not??

Not many for me:

Canada
Mexico
Ecuador
South Korea (just the airport)
Japan (just the airport)
China
Taiwan (about 15 times - my wife's home)

I knew it was going to be a lot, because I travel for work and for play, and have for a long time.... but still was surprised the total was 113, not including Antarctica! I'll add a few new ones over the next six months. (Of these, I've lived in 5, including the US, and have spent about 14 years in total being outside the US. Travel has ranged from hippie-style all the way to cruises or business-style. Now that I'm entering ER or SRE, I plan to revert back to the hippie style a bit more to LBMM! :LOL:).

Can't figure out how to post the map as a thumbnail, but did include it is as a .pdf attachment in case anyone cares.

Attachments

• Map.pdf
    456.3 KB · Views: 19
Oops - forgot Mauritania, so it's 114 (spent a nice Christmas there in 1978....).

I knew it was going to be a lot, because I travel for work and for play, and have for a long time.... but still was surprised the total was 113, not including Antarctica! I'll add a few new ones over the next six months. (Of these, I've lived in 5, including the US, and have spent about 14 years in total being outside the US. Travel has ranged from hippie-style all the way to cruises or business-style. Now that I'm entering ER or SRE, I plan to revert back to the hippie style a bit more to LBMM! :LOL:).

Can't figure out how to post the map as a thumbnail, but did include it is as a .pdf attachment in case anyone cares.
Having problems with the attachment, but it looks like you forgot Texas...

Still waiting to see if they'll give me a visa (I'm from the Northeast, after all....) :cool:

US
Canada
Mexico
England
France
Germany
Belgium
Finland
Netherlands
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Italy