How many Irish Whiskey drinkers here? What is your favorite?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I prefer Irish Whiskey to Scotch. This post is for Irish Whiskey drinkers.

I like a good Single Pot Still, but baulk at the prices of Red Breast, Green Spot, etc. I recently purchased a Buskers Single Pot Still for $25, and it was quite good.

Please share your preferences.

I'm quite fond of "The Sexton", very smooth with great flavor. Hard to believe the price, tastes like $35 stuff.

You mean there's another brand besides Jameson? :LOL:

Curious where Jameson ranks. I got a bottle from my realtor when I closed on a sale on 3/17 a few years ago. I like it. I drink so little anymore than I'm not going to buy anything new until I put a serious dent in what I have. I like trying different bourbons but I have 22 different kinds right now, which is more than enough variety.

I have tasted a few over the years; nothing really jumps out at me. While I have a few bottles of scotch, I like an occasional bourbon or rye. Jameson, I have on hand.

I live about 30 minutes from the famous Lynchburg, Tennessee--home of Jack Daniels. George Dickel distillery is about 15 miles from them too.

Recently, a bunch of distilleries have popped up all over the South making all kinds of very high quality whiskies and lower quality moonshine.

No, we are not into Irish whiskey. And as a diabetic, I long ago quit drinking all together. But if I did still drink, I'd be supporting local businesses.

Mainly bourbon drinkers here but we’ve explored Irish stuff some. Red and green spot are great but the only thing currently in our bar is a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel. Had dinner at an Irish place a couple of months ago and got a couple of flights and really enjoyed the 12 yr and especially the 14 yr Tullamore.

I like some of the Jamesons and Redbreasts but I lean toward bourbon.

RobbieB, Sexton is well priced around here $26, not bad for a Single Malt. I prefer the Single Pot Still versions myself. For some reason I can tell the difference.

Bourbon is too sweet for me. I do not mind it with Coke, but that is a waste of good liquor, when it is mixed that is. My friend likes "good", AKA expensive Bourbon. I am not convinced and prefer a run of the mill Irish to it.

I like Bushmills better than Jameson, but we’re not that knowledgeable on Irish. Our “fancy” whiskies are scotch and bourbon, but I do enjoy Irish as well, just haven’t explored better brands.

Irish Whiskey, that's the stuff you can put in coffee, to get your drinking started early in the day, right? :p

I guess I'm an Irish whiskey drinker, I currently have a bottle Jameson IPA Caskmates on my bar, but other than that, Bushmill's, and Tullamore DEW, I don't know much about Irish whiskey....but I'd like to, so I'm taking notes! :D If I saw any Irish whiskey tastings nearby I'd definitely try to attend, but those kinds of events tend to be more focused on single malt Scotch.

EDIT: In case you can't guess by my avatar, most of the room on my bar is taken up by single malt scotch. (That's not my bar in my avatar photo; long story short, that's a reserve shelf.)

Last edited:
Like disneysteve I have a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel that DW and I enjoy. Have had regular and the caskmates but prefer the Black Barrel. I've been meaning the get a bottle of Buskars. I listen to Dan Dunn's podcast "What We're Drinking" and he mentioned it favorably. We are mostly bourbon drinkers though but nice to have a change here and there.

Recently, a bunch of distilleries have popped up all over the South making all kinds of very high quality whiskies and lower quality moonshine.

They are popping up all over the place. I think whiskey and bourbon is the new "seltzer" and "craft beer." It's what the cool kids are drinking these days, right?

Like disneysteve I have a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel that DW and I enjoy. Have had regular and the caskmates but prefer the Black Barrel. I've been meaning the get a bottle of Buskars. I listen to Dan Dunn's podcast "What We're Drinking" and he mentioned it favorably. We are mostly bourbon drinkers though but nice to have a change here and there.
Thanks, good to know specificall about the BB vs. Caskmates; in our area the BB isn't that much more, maybe I'll try that next time!

Does drinking Irish Cream count? If so count me in. My favorite is the Kirkland Irish Cream, which is similar to Baileys. I made the mistake of trying Baileys Lite recently to see if I could find something that taste similar without all the calories. Won’t make that mistake again.

I like Powers Gold Label which is a single pot still Irish whiskey. Nice and smooth.

I like Jameson’s Stout Edition Irish Whiskey. It’s a bit smoother than the “regular” stuff and, at least here in Ohio, costs the same.

I too prefer Irish Whiskey, and my favorite is Knappogue Castle 12. The 16 is better but much pricier as well.

Jameson is a great value and good option for anytime drinking, especially when serving to guests.

I prefer affordable bourbon to affordable whiskey and have not found a bottle of affordable Irish whiskey that I like. I like to keep a bottle of Redbreast 21 around for special occasions. It is the finest liquor I have ever drank short of Louis XIII. And I'll go for some Middleton's Very Rare sometimes. My goto whiskey is Gentleman Jack. My goto bourbon is Woodford Reserve. I did try the Costco brand blended scotch the other night and it is drinkable on the rocks after the ice cuts it a bit.

Funny thing about all alcohol: everyone's taste is different. I had a bottle of Pappy Vanwinkle (don't remember the make/model/year), but it cost me $500. I hated it. I would have rather had a glass of Jim Beam than that stuff. But it got rave reviews.

Last edited:
I am a Scotch drinker, but a friend of mine is a huge fan of Redbreast. Based on his endorsement and encouragement, I have tried it a few times and liked it.

Many good names already mentioned and I have most of them. I bought a bottle of Middleton 20 years ago and still have some in the bottle. I cannot afford it now. If you have a chance try Middleton.

I never buy the expensive stuff, but among the mainstream brands I prefer Tullamore Dew. To me it has a more floral/herbal note than Jameson's or Bushmills.

I left most of my sense of smell and taste in a refinery process unit 10 years ago. If Im drinking Im after the active ingredient . All the subtleties of the "good stuff" are lost on me

I'm not a big whisky drinker but am a fan of Jameson.

Pardon me for violating the rule of speaking only of Irish whiskey, but a couple of years back I was traveling in Scotland and was given a glass of Dalmore 15 year old scotch whiskey. It was incredible. I just couldn't bring myself to paying more than $80 US dollars for alcohol with the Mrs. standing by scowling at me for even drinking hard alcohol. She doesn't drink but never says much about me drinking beer and wine. Hard alcohol she thinks I have headed down the road of alcoholism. :)

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/7218/dalmore-15-year-old

Back
Top Bottom