How many Nam vets

runnerr

Recycles dryer sheets
The question was asked about Woodstock but how many got to Viet Nam?

The draft ended when I turned 18

Forgot to mention I was a weapons troop at Da Nang 70 -71 loading bombs and all the other weapons the F4 carried. USAF.

1970-71 Navy courier, In and out of DaNang several times as well as the carriers on Yankee station off the coast of VN.

2soon2tell

First trip was on the USS Mansfield, DD728, an old WW2 destroyer. Mostly lots of 5" gun support and some coastal interdiction. I got to be on the starboard .50 and was shocked, shocked i tell you, by how much of my skinny tall self was not behind any sort of shield. Joined the sonar gang, being as the NV navy was not renowned for it's submarine force. After coming back to the states and going through training I went back on board CGN-9 USS Long Beach. That nuke cruiser spent most of it's time off Hanoi directing air strikes. We were not loved up north. I am very glad to have spent 4 on the water rather than 1 in the jungle.

1962 for one day. Uncle Sam was transiting out family from Indonesia to Taiwan and the plane stopped in Saigon. We got off the plane, hoping that there would be good French food at the airport but all we got were greasy hamburgers.

14th Medical Detachment-67th Evac. Pleiku. Then to one of the MANY Drug Treatment Centers in Long Bihn. Worked there- not as a "guest". By the time I got there in 72' No ground troopsleft,so we did alot of "missionary" work at Pat Smiths Hospital in Kontum.Al

Not sure if it counts but I volunteered for 'Nam while in the Air Force, because I needed a fast remote in order to qualify for my next assignment. Got sent to some foresaken remote part of southwest Asia instead.

SoonToRetire said:
Not sure if it counts but I volunteered for 'Nam while in the Air Force, because I needed a fast remote in order to qualify for my next assignment. Got sent to some foresaken remote part of southwest Asia instead.
That was probably Cambodia -- shhhhh. ;)

My draft lottery number was 175.

runnerr said:
Forgot to mention I was a weapons troop at Da Nang 70 -71 loading bombs and all the other weapons the F4 carried. USAF.

runnerr, from one 462 to another..... HOWDY! Vietnam had just ended when I went into the Air Force, and I humped bombs, missiles, 20 mm ammo, and pretty much everything but the kitchen sink onto them pigs. I played 3 man, 2 man & 1 man for all my 4 1/2 yrs active duty, then did the same stuff as a reservist & civilian technician after that. Spent about 20 yrs as a load crew chief. I've loaded F-4's, F-16's & A-10's. Still working weapons, but been in the armament shop for 8 yrs now. A-10's & B-52's for the reserves. 22 yrs on the flightline was plenty, thanks! I lovingly loaded on the Phantom for right at 15 years total, mostly F-4E's, but also some D models in the early 80's. Good to know there's another Load Toad on here! 462's rule. See ya around! ;)

Drafted during the summer of love in '69. Graduated college in June, inducted in USMC September. II-S ran out. Spent tour on Okinawa with 3rd MarDiv. The 3rd had pulled out of 'Nam about a month before I went over. Lucky I guess.

paradiseken said:
Drafted during the summer of love in '69.

Yep

paradiseken said:
Graduated college in June...

Yep

paradiseken said:
... inducted in USMC September.

Nope...but almost. Managed to get accepted to USAF OTS on the Friday before being inducted the following Monday. :p

paradiseken said:
Lucky I guess.

Ya damn betcha! :)

Back
Top Bottom