Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many people on your ignore list?
Zero - I didn't know there was an option to ignore people 8 6.96%
Zero - I know about the option but read everything 77 66.96%
1 10 8.70%
2 6 5.22%
3 3 2.61%
4 1 0.87%
5 2 1.74%
6 1 0.87%
7 0 0%
8 1 0.87%
9 0 0%
10 0 0%
11 0 0%
12 0 0%
13 0 0%
14 0 0%
15 1 0.87%
16 0 0%
17 0 0%
More than 17 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

At first I thought those were user names (UnrulyRude, Personalattacker, and Fullofcrap--and maybe Dontfeelthelove, too)....
I dont have anybody on my list and scroll through what I think is fluff (and that is just a couple of posters)...most folks I find generally interesting The few folks that were truly troubled have ended up being banned anyway...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

zero,
b/c IRL in my job I encounter all kinds of people. And if I can learn about more kinds, and variants of interactions, it's all useful info to me. Even the craziest, wackiest, nuttiest, rudest.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I need a new screenname like "makemillionsforyou" or something like that..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I don't have anyone set to ignore, but like Wanttoretire, I thought you wouldn't even know if your ignorees posted. That would be so intriguing to me that "ignore" feature for me would turn into "wait til you read what that jerk said now"....
With my first few "ignorees" I was curious for a while and would end up clicking on the provided link to see what they had to say. This just confirmed for me that what they were writing was drivel (IMHO) and I was just raising my blood pressure unnecessarily. Since then I have trusted my judgment in this regard, and once someone goes on the list I rarely read what they have to say.

Also, I don't think it's been explained yet, but you still see new threads started by posters on your ignore list. The way the board software works it's also easier to read a single post from an ignored poster and/or remove them from your ignore list than it is to add them in the first place.

ETA: Interestingly, none of the people currently on my ignore list have posted on this thread (yet).

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #45

Zero.

I feel that perusing this forum is like being on a bus...some folks' conversations/comments are so very interesting and I want to know more and even chime in...others are less so and I tune them out after listening for a bit...and a few cause me to want to change seats.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #46

I have only one 'ignore': a person who was unable to engage in civil discussion and a few months back used profanity against me (post was quickly removed by Martha, and rightly so).

Too bad, because that person is apparently intelligent and many of his posts (when I could read them) were valuable. But I'm not into hostility and profanity.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

An ever-increasing number...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

GOD BLESS US ALL
EarlyRetiree1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #49

I've been generally resistant to the "ignore" list (like lots of people posting here) because I don't mind reading all points of view, but I recently resorted to attempting to ignore 1 or 2 who seemed to stoop to personal trashing without justification or explication.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have zero on my ignore list but I don't read everything although I voted that way.

Like everyone, I have favorite posters to whom I pay special attention, and I read their posts slowly, more carefully, and in a loving, lingering manner.
(I spend a lot of time reading my own posts. Maybe I should put myself on my ignore list to save time on this board?)

With other posters, I just skim unless I find their specific post interesting or helpful.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #51

Zero. Certain topics bore me. But, I don't use the ignore feature. It is a forum. Say what you will. I might read it or I might yawn and move on to the next post. Next time you might post something interesting.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Don't ignore anyone. also don't use the phone to screen calls.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Only one, but it's been awhile so I might "un-ignore" that idiot wonderful human being and see how it goes. Everyone deserves a second chance, but not a third...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 on my list.
1 of them feels they need to reply in every thread 12 times.
Another one repeats the same thing over and over.

I hope i'm not on anybody's ignore list seeing that this is my first post.

J
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRetiree1978 View Post
GOD BLESS US ALL

God Bless Us All
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

So far none but I avoid the political threads`!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
five including the unduly rude, the personal attacker, the full of crap and two because i just didn't feel the love.
With those 'qualities', how did you cull that list down to just five? Assuming you can hear me, of course.

For me, ZERO on ignore. I've been tempted, but I've found that occasionally, a poster that seems to be a total waste of bandwidth will come up with a real jewel. I can skim/skip what I consider to be trash. I'd rather do that than miss something worthwhile. But that's just me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #58

Well, I've only browsed the board a couple of times briefly in the past few months, so I guess I'm ignoring everybody.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
FYI, six people ignore between 10 and 24 posters, though I would bet some of the ignored people have since left.
Another 14 people ignore between three and eight posters
24 (I'm one of the six) with a few candidates spotted for launch. I don't usually "Ignore" the spammers sales staff newbies who are in the process of being recalibrated... the ones on my list have stuck around long enough to require some action on my part.

Does the "Ignore Poster" list clean itself of dupes or banned posters? I thought I had a few different versions of OAP on my list but the dupes seem to have been eliminated... as well as a few other posters who were subsequently banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's one way to look at it. Here's another perspective:
I didn't have an ignore feature where I worked. Would have loved it.
Now that I'm retired, I do have an ignore feature....and I do love it.
Truly a win-win situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
With my first few "ignorees" I was curious for a while and would end up clicking on the provided link to see what they had to say. This just confirmed for me that what they were writing was drivel (IMHO) and I was just raising my blood pressure unnecessarily. Since then I have trusted my judgment in this regard, and once someone goes on the list I rarely read what they have to say.
Also, I don't think it's been explained yet, but you still see new threads started by posters on your ignore list. The way the board software works it's also easier to read a single post from an ignored poster and/or remove them from your ignore list than it is to add them in the first place.
Exactly. Not only have I stopped checking on the "ignorees", I'd much rather be able to ignore any thread they start... as well as every thread in the Soap Box.

This board has grown too big to merit reading every post. I'd rather tailor it to the way it used to be suit my interests.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote