Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
A colleague of mine told me a scary story today. He was part of the equifax breach a year or two ago. Apparently his username for his online bank was compromised. They somehow also got his cell phone number, don't know if that was from the breach or if they had to look it up.

Yesterday while in a noisy restaurant he got a phone call from his bank (spoofed caller ID) and they told him that they were looking at what appeared to be fraudulent charges on his account. They asked him to verify a few transactions (all made up of course and none matched anything he'd purchased recently). Since there were several phony charges on the account they told him that his account had been compromised and that they would have to set up a new card for him sent via fedex. In order to validate the transaction they asked him to repeat a code they'd send him via text.

The text came through from USAA and he repeated the number back to them. They validated it and said they'd ship a new card immediately.

Once my colleague came home he checked his account - his password did not work anymore. He reset the password thinking that it was part of the fraudulent charges. He set a new password and got the double verification text from his bank and noticed that a few thousand dollars had been withdrawn via wire earlier in the evening.

Apparently their "verification" for sending a new card was for the forgotten password link verification on the website for setting up a new password. Once logged in they started transactions out of the account, starting in $100 increments and then $1,000.

He was immediately refunded half of the amount but is now working with the bank to get the rest back.

I thought that the text verification was a pretty secure alternative, but as the scammers more and more sophisticated this could become a large problem. Especially for older folks...

Very true, and unfortunate.

I have taken the approach of, if any of my financial institutions call me, I request a number I can call them back at. If it does not match their customer service number, I call customer service and ask them to verify if this could be a number from them, and/or if the issue raised is legitimate.

It is a pain but my method of "double authentication" for my financial institutions.

The phone companies could do more, but since they make money off of the spoofers/scammers use of their network...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scammers can know a lot about you thanks to all the security breaches that have put your and my information out in the wild. The Equifax Breach was perhaps the worst since it contains much of the information needed to convince perfect strangers that the scammer is you.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Right. "spoofing" is not just presenting your number, it is presenting ANY number, including a bank or insurance company.

The story above is sophisticated and currently atypical, but something we need to be careful about!

The typical spoofer just uses a random number with your exchange and area code. This tricks you into thinking it is a friend whom you don't have in your directory, so you pick up -- and get Rachel from card services.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
NgineER, that's a helluva story. The key to it, as you pointed out, was this: "In order to validate the transaction they asked him to repeat a code they'd send him via text." While beautifully disguised, the moral of the story is to never, ever give a code received via text (or email) to someone over the phone.

In addition, according to a manager at Microsoft who handles security and security breaches for them, consider two factor authorization using a call back - not a text message - to a specific phone number. The reason to abandon text messages with authorization code is that the text messages are NOT secure unless you have VPN running on your phone. They can be tracked.

- Rita
Old 03-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I don't answer, I don't even bother to block. If they don't leave a message I just delete the number from the recent call list.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #26

Thanks all.

I've decided not to engage with them.

I have an Iphone 4 with an MVNO (Page Plus), so it's a low budget operation here. I may stop by the local reseller and see if they have any technological suggestions.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I set up a ringtone group for all of my contacts (and a few specific ringtones for some friends and family). I then set up a default ringtone that plays pretty quiet music. If I get a call from someone not in my contacts, I can recognize it from that quiet music and ignore it, unless I'm expecting a call from a doctors office or something like that. So I'm interrupted by the call but don't even have to pull out my phone to ignore it. It's kind of like having someone come up to me and hum a pleasant song, and then walk away.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I use the Sentry call blocker for my landline. I had one scam caller that would call a few times a week using the number spoofing strategy, even in early morning hours. My Sentry blocker was set up for one ring (my preferred set up) before getting blocked.

When the scammer figured out he was getting blocked, he called back to to back several times to the point I had to set up the blocker to block with no ring.

Eventually the &$#% scammer gave up after knowing he wasn't going to win . Now my call blocker is set up back to one ring before intercepting. He must have moved on to an easier target.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgineER View Post
The text came through from USAA and he repeated the number back to them.
That was his mistake right there. I like to have fun with scam callers sometimes so I answer the calls and mess around with them, but I NEVER give them any real information, I make up all fake names and numbers, etc (my favorite fake name is Haywood Jiblome) and I would never respond to confirm anything, a text or a real number or anything else. Never, ever confirm anything back to them and never every give them any real information and you will be fine.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
That was his mistake right there. I like to have fun with scam callers sometimes so I answer the calls and mess around with them, but I NEVER give them any real information, I make up all fake names and numbers, etc (my favorite fake name is Haywood Jiblome) and I would never respond to confirm anything, a text or a real number or anything else. Never, ever confirm anything back to them and never every give them any real information and you will be fine.
How did he know it was a scam call? He didn't. Scam calls aren't always obvious, and your bank calling you from a spoofed number to let you know about fraudulent charges on your credit card does not immediately appear as a scam call.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How did he know it was a scam call? He didn't. Scam calls aren't always obvious, and your bank calling you from a spoofed number to let you know about fraudulent charges on your credit card does not immediately appear as a scam call.
Exactly.

Just watch the movie "The Sting."
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
He may not have known it was a scam call, but you should never give out information over the phone or "confirm" any information if you did not initiate the call. Ever. If necessary, call the company back by using a phone number that you obtain or verify independently. If you follow this rule then you will not be scammed, at least not by a phone call.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #33

If we don't know the number they can leave a message and if they don't leave a message then it isn't anybody I want to talk too.

I do it with cell phone also leave a message if they don't I block that number from calling me again.

Every number I have looked up are all scam numbers. The problem is really bad.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
If we don't know the number they can leave a message and if they don't leave a message then it isn't anybody I want to talk too.

I do it with cell phone also leave a message if they don't I block that number from calling me again.

Every number I have looked up are all scam numbers. The problem is really bad.

+1 I never answer calls that aren't on my contact list, if it's important they'll leave a message.

zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calls, phone, scam