Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have actualized.

I do want I want to do and I don't have to work anymore -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would say it depends. If I have 5 million and move to New York City, I would be doing okay, not great, I've seen the real estate prices in NYC. If I had 50 million , that is much better, but I'm not sure I would call myself wealthy. Better than most, for sure. If I had 100 million and up in New York City now we're getting somewhere.

Being wealthy might start creeping into the conversation at that point. If I lived in, oh I don't know, Kansas City,Missouri, maybe 5 million and up I might start to feel wealthy. It would certainly be much, much less than New York City, San Francisco,Zurich,etc.etc, needed to feel wealthy. But being wealthy never really mattered to me much, all I want is to be comfortable.

Whatever amount I have when I die, it goes to someone else. That holds true for everyone, no matter how much one has.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I believe that if you're living comfortably, not "having" to w*rk, and have minimal stress in your life, you are wealthy beyond measure. ....

....So yup, if you're just hanging out (or maybe travelling), while keeping an eye on your investments (or an eye on your FA ), and posting here, you are very wealthy indeed.
Great post and great philosophy!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #44

So, at 52, wanting to retire at 53, I'm thinking if I work One More Year, I can buy a house instead of a condo, and if I work 2 more years, I can buy a house AND a Lamborghini. Then I'd feel 'tapped out' at only having $2MM in investments and $100K income. Or I could work 5 more years and add more than $1M to the pot, but then I'd be 57 and miss out on my remaining healthiest years. I think I'll settle for FIRE at 53, a condo and a Alpha Romeo 4c.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe that if you're living comfortably, not "having" to w*rk, and have minimal stress in your life, you are wealthy beyond measure.
+1. I grew up pretty blue collar so I rich to me is not having to worry about what to do if the car needs new tires or the water heater goes out. All the extras we get to do like wine tastings and concerts are icing on the cake.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
$300M would get you $1M/month at 4%WR. That's comfortable.

$3B would be better, $10M/mo. Now that's WEALTHY.
TRUE!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I have everything I want, with money left over, but articles like that one would not label me as wealthy.

I guess that there are zero people who know me IRL and are thinking, "Gosh, she is so wealthy! I wish I had that much money."

I am neither wealthy nor poor in comparison with others in my suburb. Apparently I am wealthy compared with the earth's population, as are most of us from what I understand.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
So, at 52, wanting to retire at 53, I'm thinking if I work One More Year, I can buy a house instead of a condo, and if I work 2 more years, I can buy a house AND a Lamborghini. Then I'd feel 'tapped out' at only having $2MM in investments and $100K income. Or I could work 5 more years and add more than $1M to the pot, but then I'd be 57 and miss out on my remaining healthiest years. I think I'll settle for FIRE at 53, a condo and a Alpha Romeo 4c.
Congrats. Then you will be one of the "idle rich". Which is even better than being wealthy. Not all the wealthy are idle.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Might be lack of creativity on my part, can't imagine what I would spend that kind of money on that would actually make a difference in my quality of life.

That's $2000 USD per waking hour.

Anything about $10k per month I'm already well into frivolous territory by my standards.
Actually, I could image, but that level of income is way beyond my personal desires, which means supporting worthy causes and charities.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #50

Quote:
The Alpha Romeo would be nice - I had a used one when stationed in Germany. Loved my 12 mile drive through the country after work. I guess I would suggest if you want more stuff, keep working. But if you want more experiences, keep your time.

But ya'll might need to saddle up out there. That nuisance might be the next St. Helen's or Pinatubo. But def not wishing that on anyone/anywhere.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Lease it.

Fun-to-drive but not fun-to-own luxury vehicles are best leased.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

With all the rich people who saved a lot of money to FIRE and/or are rolling in big pensions and SS--its easy to feel inadequate even if you do have a million or more--which someone will quickly point out its not nearly enough and definitely is not wealthy and they have way more. All of this comparing with other people who saved money can be stress inducing . What is the point of all the constant head banging on these Money type sites?
IMO--You are wealthy if you have enough to live comfortably AND you have the health to spend it. What good is sitting on millions if you are sickly and confined to a wheelchair or chained to your doctor appointments each month? The comfortable number varies according to your priorities and needs.
Fleur58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Congrats. Then you will be one of the "idle rich". Which is even better than being wealthy. Not all the wealthy are idle.
Thanks...but like many here, I won't be idle. I'll be travelling, diving, writing articles and taking underwater photos to go with those. Not so much to earn money, but to share my love of the ocean and to keep myself busy!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #54

Quote:
But ya'll might need to saddle up out there. That nuisance might be the next St. Helen's or Pinatubo. But def not wishing that on anyone/anywhere.
Thanks...the erupting island is 200 miles away, and is a shield, or strato volcano. Not a plug dome like Mt. St. Helen's. We might get a bit of SO2 or ash, but that's about it...Hawaii Island on the other hand, is in for a bit of a rough ride, IMHO.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur58 View Post
You are wealthy if you have enough to live comfortably AND you have the health to spend it. What good is sitting on millions if you are sickly and confined to a wheelchair or chained to your doctor appointments each month?
Yep. Watching my mother die in February at age 80 hastened my desire to 'get on with the rest of my life' and to decide what's really important. As one person said on this forum, there's no need to be the richest person in the cemetery (something like that).
Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
Just a few days ago, was discussing pet names with some friends. One had named his cat ****head. He really loves that cat.

I'm pretty sure I can guess what the cat's name is. That's funny! You just reminded me of a recording I heard the other day of Steve Martin talking about the time he washed his cat. It won't be as humorous if I transcribe it here, so I won't try.

Talking of cats. I was telling a friend recently how much my 3 furry gals cost me to have. I guesstimated a rough monthly total including not just food and litter, but vet bills too - averaged over the life of all 3 kitties. It wasn't a fortune, but it certainly isn't an insignificant amount. Once in a blue moon, I think that if I didn't have the cats, I'd have more money to spend on other things. Then I immediately realize what great value they are, because without them, my home wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun, and I'd really miss the company. Not that you can put a value on life but, to a frugal fellow like me, my kitties enrich my life far beyond what I spend on them. To get back to the spirit of the thread, this makes me a wealthy person indeed.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #57
Administrator

By all objective measures, the young wife and I are wealthy. But it seems to me that our life is much the same as it was 25 years ago when we weren't.

I have mentioned it before, but it bears repeating - the wealthiest I have ever felt was the day (probably 37 years ago) when I walked into the grocery and bought what looked tasty, without knowing or caring how much it cost. That was most certainly not the case when I was a child; we were poor and sometimes hungry. My aspiration when I was growing up was not to be rich. Rather, I just didn't want to be poor like my parents. Buying what I wanted at the grocery seemed a good yardstick.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
By all objective measures, the young wife and I are wealthy. But it seems to me that our life is much the same as it was 25 years ago when we weren't.

I have mentioned it before, but it bears repeating - the wealthiest I have ever felt was the day (probably 37 years ago) when I walked into the grocery and bought what looked tasty, without knowing or caring how much it cost. That was most certainly not the case when I was a child; we were poor and sometimes hungry. My aspiration when I was growing up was not to be rich. Rather, I just didn't want to be poor like my parents. Buying what I wanted at the grocery seemed a good yardstick.
I can relate to your response. I knew what poor meant from an early age also. We never went hungry and had only what we needed nothing more. I consider myself wealthy and blessed in life. There is a lot more people with a lot more money then I have but I'm wealthy in many ways.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It should be pretty clear by now: Wealthy is someone who has a lot more money than you have.

Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness. At a much younger age when I got a raise/promotion I practiced catch and release in the pursuit of happiness(counted/equated with wealth). Ratcheting up the expectation to a higher level of wealth.

Now after 24 going 25 years of ER 'with enough' it's a WAR to de - clutter to get rid of stuff 'that one has to maintain/repair/pay taxes, license, insure' so that you are the manager instead of the stuff managing you.

The ultimate horror would be to inherit a mansion with servants, grounds keepers and all the service required. Or perhaps a yacht having experienced plain old boat ownership in my youth.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Might be lack of creativity on my part, can't imagine what I would spend that kind of money on that would actually make a difference in my quality of life.

That's $2000 USD per waking hour.

Anything about $10k per month I'm already well into frivolous territory by my standards.
I ran across some data published by CapRelo (Capital Relocation Services) that shows the average gross and take-home incomes in several developed countries. I was surprised as how low the average annual income was in several Western countries.

In the following list, I have sorted some representative countries in the order of take-home pay in US dollars.

CountryGross PayTake-Home
Russia$9,720$8,456
Romania$9,480$8,532
Sweden$46,804$22,410
Denmark$64,310$28,227
France $40,718 $28,503
Germany $42,369 $29,685
Japan $39,089 $35,279
Canada $48,688 $35,299
UK $46,252 $40,169
Ireland $56,787 $42,322
Australia $59,538 $46,781
USA $64,154 $52,344
Switzerland $85,718 $84,006

Note how Denmark's tax rate is sky-high. The Swiss tax rate is very low, and they take home the most money but their cost of living is famously high too.

I was surprised to see the Irish do so well compared to the Swedes, the Danes, French, and Germans.

The above are developed countries, and people in developing countries would be down to a couple thousands if not hundreds of dollars a year. So, one does not have to spend as much as $10K/month to feel wealthy.

See: https://info.caprelo.com/blog/tax-rates-by-country.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote