Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
.....I refuse to be assimilated into the facebook collective.
Resistance is futile.....

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #22

I suppose if someone wanted to trudge through all my posts it'd be possible to figure it out the real me, but why would anyone bother? Talk about not having a life....

But I'll share some of the things in daily life that I think others must have had to deal with such as those with dealing with elderly parents. In this case the forum was a great source of information in just knowing that we weren't the only ones having to deal with it.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I share pretty freely here and elsewhere. I guess I take comfort in the places I frequent I am pretty much in the mainstream of those groups, and therefore get some herd immunity.

For example, here I talk finances, index funds, credit card rebates, tax stuff, etc. There is nothing so exotic here that I would stand out compared to other users, thus its pretty unlikely that I will be stalker worthy. I also used to be heavy on a home theater board (now lightly read), and there was one guy who had a fantastic room under construction who pulled all his pictures due to a stalker. He was high net worth and had awesome toys. I never got the full story, but I keep it in mind.

I guess I should criticize myself for frequenting amen corners where most people share my worldview. Too much time in the amen corner can make you myopic. But my interests are pretty defined.

In terms of stories of my life, I don't think I'd criticize my family in hurtful ways, despite the semi-anonymous nature of the web. Or at least I'd try not to. Maybe if I was going through a bad run I might not live up to that.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The NSA already knows it all and this guy is their informant.

Oh wait, that's all the public info.

That's why everything I post here is made-up. I'm really a spendthrift who manages a Starbucks and has a negative net worth.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I find it helpful to think of privacy in online forums in 2 ways:

Do I care if people reading this forum who know me as Katsmeow find the RL me?

Do I care if people who know the RL me find Katsmeow?

For the 1st question, I mostly don't. Yes, there is the tiny chance that some nut who would harm me could find my identity and then could track me down. But, that can happen anywhere you go. Think of all the people you casually meet in the real world. Someone could develop a grudge or be nuts and come after you.

When I started my blog I had to think about this. In the blog segment I blog in it is common to post photos of yourself. Some people blog and use their first and last name. Many people blog and use photos and first name (what I do). There are a few people who don't use their name and post photos covering up their face. I always felt that last one was sort of a losing battle. I ultimately decided that I would go ahead and post the photos.

By and large I don't really think much harm will come from someone knowing that Katsmeow is my real identity. I post quite a bit about financial information here. Again, I don't really see that any harm comes to me from doing that even if someone finds me.

On the second question, I do think about what happens if people I know in RL find me here. It would be very easy for someone who knows me in RL to recognize me here (even leaving aside the recent photo I posted). I've said enough about my life that anyone who knew me at all well would recognize me.

This does constrain me a bit in what I post. Not so much what I post about me, but more what I post about others. And, for those still working, I could see being prudent about what one posts about a job situation for example.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

While my subsoncsious applies Gestalt at the time of my postings, the actual output is not necessarily confined by reason. Thus my disclosures are allover the place.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'm with Katsmeow on the limiting what I post about others. I'm really me, findable in RL, and that makes me cautious about posting things that would be hurtful. And I don't post about my job, either.
Long ago I posted my initial numbers, but those aren't where I am now. I'm pretty open all the way around, and it is important to me to be the same "me" here and in RL.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I used to cherish my privacy.... But the first time I went to a gynecologist he said, 'scoot down just a little bit more....'
Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I used to cherish my privacy.... But the first time I went to a gynecologist he said, 'scoot down just a little bit more....'
Too funny!

I post about my likes and dislikes. I have posted and asked questions regarding money, but never can do exact figures, simply because I don't track things as closely as most people on here do. There are a couple of things from my younger days that I do not talk about, because I would not want my children or friends to read about it. As far as I know, they do not read this site, but you can't be too careful.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:21 AM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Major Tom...
You're hitting the right spots...

As I ponder my response to the "critical mass thread"... this one is a little easier...

In resolving my theory of "why we do what we do", my conclusion is that it boils down to the ego
Quote:
: the opinion that you have about yourself

psychology : a part of the mind that senses and adapts to the real world
... and so I believe that what we say and do, is a pure reflection of the way we want to adapt to those around us. We only post because we want to share, and most prefer to be seen in a helpful and friendly way. The only reason not to share is fear, and more often than not, a fear of a blow to the ego, rather than a fear of physical or financial harm.

While I would not share direct numbers... in dollars, passwords, or specifics that could harm my family or friends, offering up experiences and thoughts is part of the social interaction that brings me to the forum, and the reason for reading the experiences of others.

Particularly in the later years, when social activities outside the home become more limited, I am finding that the learning experience comes less from those around me... physically... and much more in a condensed form from reading watching and interacting with other sources... smarter people, and the incredible growth and availability of knowledge through the internet. I often wonder what life would have been like, if I knew then what I know now.

So yeah... sharing. Sharing here... Not just knowledge, but entertainment that comes from opening the website to see what kind of new thoughts others have. I can get the news headlines for the day in five minutes on the internet, but where else can I go to find opinions on vacuum cleaners, roof repairs, music, cars, hobbies... and what other people find important in their lives? Not just one columnist's idea, but a cross section of what smart people think and do.

The only problem is trying to remember the little white lies that I used in trying to make a point.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
OMG we have the same doctor!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Major Tom...
You're hitting the right spots...
In resolving my theory of "why we do what we do", my conclusion is that it boils down to the ego

... and so I believe that what we say and do, is a pure reflection of the way we want to adapt to those around us. We only post because we want to share, and most prefer to be seen in a helpful and friendly way. The only reason not to share is fear, and more often than not, a fear of a blow to the ego, rather than a fear of physical or financial harm.
I suspect that many of us have led "interesting" lives and had some "interesting" experiences during our lives and would rather not have all of those "interesting" experiences made public.

Not speaking of myself of course...
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #33

Quote:
So yeah... sharing. Sharing here... Not just knowledge, but entertainment that comes from opening the website to see what kind of new thoughts others have. I can get the news headlines for the day in five minutes on the internet, but where else can I go to find opinions on vacuum cleaners, roof repairs, music, cars, hobbies... and what other people find important in their lives? Not just one columnist's idea, but a cross section of what smart people think and do.
That's one of the things that attracted me here and keeps me attracted is the depth and breadth of knowledge, experience and wisdom, much of it attained the hard way.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I lie just enough to throw off the internet detectives. Some of what I say is true.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are on Facebook you can run this to find out what one data miner surmises about you:

Watch Dogs - Digital Shadow

It does place an app in your Facebook account so after you run it I would delete it.

I'm sure the same could be done from our inputs on:

early-retirement.org
Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

The only problem is trying to remember the little white lies that I used in trying to make a point.
I cut and paste them into a Word Doc labelled "White Lies on the Internet" and keep it on my desktop...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
How Much Do You Share Here?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

How Much Do You Share Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
If you are on Facebook you can run this to find out what one data miner surmises about you:

Watch Dogs - Digital Shadow

It does place an app in your Facebook account so after you run it I would delete it.

I'm sure the same could be done from our inputs on:

early-retirement.org

I don't do Facebook, but if some data miner gets someone interested in steel guitar, I say thumbs up. I was much more concerned about privacy when employed.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
OMG we have the same doctor!
Is he a member of this site?
Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Is he a member of this site?
'scoot down just a little bit more, please...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I cut and paste them into a Word Doc labelled "White Lies on the Internet" and keep it on my desktop...
I do that too, but it forced me to upgrade my hard drive.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote