How Much Do You Share Here?

While my subsoncsious applies Gestalt at the time of my postings, the actual output is not necessarily confined by reason. Thus my disclosures are allover the place.

I'm with Katsmeow on the limiting what I post about others. I'm really me, findable in RL, and that makes me cautious about posting things that would be hurtful. And I don't post about my job, either.
Long ago I posted my initial numbers, but those aren't where I am now. I'm pretty open all the way around, and it is important to me to be the same "me" here and in RL.

I used to cherish my privacy.... But the first time I went to a gynecologist he said, 'scoot down just a little bit more....' :rolleyes:

I used to cherish my privacy.... But the first time I went to a gynecologist he said, 'scoot down just a little bit more....' :rolleyes:

Too funny!

I post about my likes and dislikes. I have posted and asked questions regarding money, but never can do exact figures, simply because I don't track things as closely as most people on here do. There are a couple of things from my younger days that I do not talk about, because I would not want my children or friends to read about it. As far as I know, they do not read this site, but you can't be too careful.

Major Tom... :)
You're hitting the right spots...

As I ponder my response to the "critical mass thread"... this one is a little easier...

In resolving my theory of "why we do what we do", my conclusion is that it boils down to the ego
: the opinion that you have about yourself

psychology : a part of the mind that senses and adapts to the real world

... and so I believe that what we say and do, is a pure reflection of the way we want to adapt to those around us. We only post because we want to share, and most prefer to be seen in a helpful and friendly way. The only reason not to share is fear, and more often than not, a fear of a blow to the ego, rather than a fear of physical or financial harm.

While I would not share direct numbers... in dollars, passwords, or specifics that could harm my family or friends, offering up experiences and thoughts is part of the social interaction that brings me to the forum, and the reason for reading the experiences of others.

Particularly in the later years, when social activities outside the home become more limited, I am finding that the learning experience comes less from those around me... physically... and much more in a condensed form from reading watching and interacting with other sources... smarter people, and the incredible growth and availability of knowledge through the internet. I often wonder what life would have been like, if I knew then what I know now.

So yeah... sharing. Sharing here... Not just knowledge, but entertainment that comes from opening the website to see what kind of new thoughts others have. I can get the news headlines for the day in five minutes on the internet, but where else can I go to find opinions on vacuum cleaners, roof repairs, music, cars, hobbies... and what other people find important in their lives? Not just one columnist's idea, but a cross section of what smart people think and do.

The only problem is trying to remember the little white lies that I used in trying to make a point. :blush:

Major Tom... :)
You're hitting the right spots...
In resolving my theory of "why we do what we do", my conclusion is that it boils down to the ego

... and so I believe that what we say and do, is a pure reflection of the way we want to adapt to those around us. We only post because we want to share, and most prefer to be seen in a helpful and friendly way. The only reason not to share is fear, and more often than not, a fear of a blow to the ego, rather than a fear of physical or financial harm.

I suspect that many of us have led "interesting" lives and had some "interesting" experiences during our lives and would rather not have all of those "interesting" experiences made public.

Not speaking of myself of course...

Last edited:
So yeah... sharing. Sharing here... Not just knowledge, but entertainment that comes from opening the website to see what kind of new thoughts others have. I can get the news headlines for the day in five minutes on the internet, but where else can I go to find opinions on vacuum cleaners, roof repairs, music, cars, hobbies... and what other people find important in their lives? Not just one columnist's idea, but a cross section of what smart people think and do.

That's one of the things that attracted me here and keeps me attracted is the depth and breadth of knowledge, experience and wisdom, much of it attained the hard way.

I lie just enough to throw off the internet detectives. Some of what I say is true.

If you are on Facebook you can run this to find out what one data miner surmises about you:

Watch Dogs - Digital Shadow

It does place an app in your Facebook account so after you run it I would delete it.

I'm sure the same could be done from our inputs on:

early-retirement.org

If you are on Facebook you can run this to find out what one data miner surmises about you:

Watch Dogs - Digital Shadow

It does place an app in your Facebook account so after you run it I would delete it.

I'm sure the same could be done from our inputs on:

early-retirement.org

I don't do Facebook, but if some data miner gets someone interested in steel guitar, I say thumbs up. I was much more concerned about privacy when employed.

I cut and paste them into a Word Doc labelled "White Lies on the Internet" and keep it on my desktop...:D
I do that too, but it forced me to upgrade my hard drive.

Being full of baloney runs in my family. So take that for what it's worth.

I only contribute when I think my experience is relevant, recent and can possibly help someone. I never worry about my identity. I have been open since using the internet and the only problem so far has been someone trying to rent my penthouse. Fortunately the prospective renter was local and dropped by to see it first. Was he ever surprised!

I will share most anything except the name of my probation officer.

I am afraid I have flooded this forum with my personal problems. But I cant promise to stop.... I get very useful advice. And sometimes I even detect real friendship. Or is it wishful thinking..... More thanks to you all!

I'm really surprised about how many people share that they worked for Megacorp!

Back
Top Bottom