Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you spend per child on Christmas presents?
I don't buy Christmas presents. 12 23.53%
0 to 0.1% of yearly budget 14 27.45%
0.1 to 0.2% 5 9.80%
0.2 to 0.35% 2 3.92%
.35 to .5% 3 5.88%
.5 to .75% 3 5.88%
.75 to 1% 2 3.92%
1% to 1.5% 4 7.84%
1.5 to 2% 5 9.80%
More than 2% of yearly budget 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spent about $100 each on 9 nephews and nieces or their children. In most cases, I gave money to the parents to spend as they saw fit. So it probably went to buy items like clothes, not toys, but they have plenty of toys. None of the parents are doing great financially.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent <$10 on candy for my adult son that is still living at home and bought one $10 gift for the charity Angel Tree at work, so pretty close to 0%.

I tend to be pretty generous to the boys year round so I don't think they really need anything from me at the Holidays. The spouse and I would rather spend the money on vacation instead of buying gifts, so we quit Christmas shopping for each other a long time ago....

Most of the rest my family is 6 ft under now so they don't need anything anymore!

When I have grandkids, then I will probably spoil them rotten. In the meantime, I will enjoy not having to even think about Christmas shopping.
KmmFIdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 AM   #23

Never really looked at this way before... Guess we always kept the amount to a figure that we knew wouldn't impact our budget. I'm sure it's increased over the years as we've earned more money though... but not by much. Looks like the answer is .00146341. I think I could get a more accurate figure on my financial calculator but all I have handy is my phone.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whoops, didn't see the "kids" part. Don't have any, but voted in the lowest non-zero category. DW and I have been much happier since we decided on only stocking stuffers for each other and higher charitable donations with what we might have spent.

I would un-vote if I knew how.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 AM   #25

I'm a huge Christmas lover (large Catholic family where celebrating and partying WAS the religion, lol) so Christmas is sort of our olympics, Oscars, and mardi gras all rolled into one.

Presents are usually the cheapest part of my budget. maybe $400 bucks a kid. food, alcohol and entertainment tend to blow me out of the water.

Then to top it off, my oldest son's b day is 12/27 and my bday is Jan 1st.

Yesterday this gal treated herself to some serious retail birthday gifting at the new King of prussia mall in Pa. Supposedly it's the largest shopping mall in America in terms of numbers of retailers.
My knee gave out waay before the mall did.

It's pretty much a party/celebration from 12/24 until 1/2 in this family
Old 12-28-2016, 06:32 AM   #26

For presents to our 2 sons and grandkids about 0.1-0.2%.
But we usually gift money to them according to how our accounts have done, anywhere from $500 each to $10,000. And we also deposit some into our grandkids education accounts.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #27

We spend around 2% on the kids but that is mainly for a Florida vacation where we pay their airfare.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #28

We will typically spend about two hundred dollars on the kids (defined as DD#1 DD#2, SIL#1, SIL#2). So on the order of .3% . Every year we have the conversation that this is just too much work, that Dad is too hard to buy for and that we should stop this nonsense. We always agree to just get each other a token gift or two. So we usually get each other a book or two from a used book store and maybe another little item. Usually out about $20 per person. Then somewhere around December 20th, DW looks at the tree and says, "The tree looks so lonely with no gifts under it." So she will then spend a quick $200 or so on the bunch of us to make herself feel better by having gifts under the tree. Just one of those lovable quirks that she has.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:14 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

I spent $4,000 on Christmas . Presents for grandchildren ,daughter ,son-in -law ,Sister,SO and the DIL's . Lots of toys and cash gifts . The dIL's all got bracelets from etsy which they love . Grandkids get toys and money for college . All in all it was a good year .I now have a slight break until the birthdays begin.I enjoy doing it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #30

We spent more when the boys were younger... as teenagers their tastes are super expensive and involve spending more screen time than I'm comfortable (upgraded pc's, new gaming systems, expensive games.) We decided to gift them with cash for their birthdays and Christmas and let them learn to save/budget/plan/prioritize their spending. They got some small gifts (about $50 each) and then some cash. It was less than 0.2% per kid. Similar for their birthdays - earlier this month.

I've been making amazon purchases with this cash for them. Younger son is building a new gaming PC for about $450 total (gift money from us, his aunt, for both birthday and Christmas). Older son is buying peripherals for his PC.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #31

I'm too lazy to calculate % of NW but I probably spend too much on my SO not only at Xmas but throughout the year. OTOH, the relationship is priceless so I'm unable to think about it in terms of money.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote