• More than $3 per day

Votes: 48 21.6%
  • We tip varying amounts or not regularly

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • No tip

Votes: 69 31.1%

• Total voters

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Some posts in this thread prompted the question. Do you tip for daily hotel housekeeping, and if so, how much? We do, usually a couple of dollars, and I’m wondering if that’s an amount from back in the day and inflation has made that too little.

There’s an option for no tipping, but please don’t take the thread off topic with a discussion about the appropriateness of this gratuity. That’s not the purpose of the thread. :greetings10:

Last edited:
I used to tip a couple of $ a day.
Lately I only tip if I leave a mess or if service was some how better than expected.

But I'm also leaning toward moving up a notch or two in hotel chains. Getting tired of moldy rooms, non-functioning HVAC, noise, and bed-bug inspections at Super 8s.

I'm embarrassed at my ignorance of tipping hotel cleaning staff, but I'll be making up for it at my next hotel stay this week.

An added question, I think somewhere along the same lines: if maintenance has to come correct some kind of issue in the room, do you tip them too?

I'm embarrassed at my ignorance of tipping hotel cleaning staff, but I'll be making up for it at my next hotel stay this week.

An added question, I think somewhere along the same lines: if maintenance has to come correct some kind of issue in the room, do you tip them too?

No because I "assume" they make substantially more money then housekeeping.

We tip daily (vs end of stay) since housekeepers can change often, $2 per day per person. Since it's usually two of us, we leave $4-5 day if we're satisfied happy with housekeeping, less or nothing if not. Long ago we didn't even think about tipping, but hotel housekeepers probably don't make much base wages, so I have no problem leaving them $4-5/day.

We had a stay recently where housekeeping left us a pleasant post-it note every day, something different and clever each day - we left more for her, and made sure the hotel manager knew we appreciated the personal touch.

Fair question. I can't remember when we've had a problem that was so urgent it couldn't wait until AM. So we tell the front desk when we leave for the day, and maintenance shows up while we're out, so we never see them.

Last edited:
If I'm there a few days, I'll leave a 20. 10 if I have one if just a weekend maybe... But I usually don't have a 10, and I know sometimes I've forgotten completely, so I'd rather overdo it when I remember, so 20 on average.

$3-5 daily. higher end if we use the coffee maker (extra work for staff).

I tip housekeeping $10 per night.

I don't want housekeeping to clean my hotel room every day because it is too much trouble to put all my stuff away, I tend to sleep in, and am usually by myself so unlikely to run out of towels. So I put the Do Not Disturb Sign out and just tip the last day. Used to leave $5 but have recently upped it to $10 if I have a $10 bill - room is a little bit of a mess after 3 nights or so. I waitressed during high school and college, and did not make a lot of tips, so am very sympathetic to those who make minimum wage or less. And I am often staying in resort type areas that have a high cost of living.

Last edited:
I put the do not disturb on the door for the duration of my stay. Mid way I'll switch out towels when they do my floor, but no need to clean the room daily. I'm a neat freak and even I don't clean my entire house every single day. No need to make housekeeping do it for me. Will leave a couple of bucks last day if I remember.

wow who are all the skinflints?

Probably some of the same guys I use to work with. When traveling on business they would include a daily tip on their expense report and get reimbursed then brag about not leaving anything.

I leave $5 per day each day. I have them refresh the room each day. I want fresh towels each day and I don’t mind having my bed made.

We leave $3 to $4 even if it is one night and we are not returning.

We tip daily. We hang up our towels because of the drought. My mom always put the money on the pillow so it’s obvious it’s for them.

We leave somewhere between $2 and $5 a night, more often than not depending entirely on what bills we have without going down to the desk.

Granted in a perfect world hotel staff would be adequately paid. Alas it is not a perfect world so we leave a tip in an effort to make the housekeeper's world, if not perfect, at least a little better.

I never tip the hotel staff. Just too many bad experiences to ever consider leaving them a tip including higher end hotels. Matter of fact, I stayed at a hotel just last night. Room rate was $385 a night (I think) so it was a pretty nice place. A minor gripe but one of the trash baskets hadn't been emptied from the last guest visit. Whoever they were, they must have liked junk food.

Last edited:
I put up the do not disturb sign and swap towels off the cart when i see it.

Back
Top Bottom