Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How much does your gym membership cost?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$225/yr for two. Mega-corp's place. When I was working, I did not want to go to the Mega gym, because I wanted to avoid work chatter. Now, it's a pleasure to hear their pain, and to see retirement envy in their faces. I was working out at 24-hour fitness, cost $40/mo for two.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I pay ZERO to the gym - In my home, I have a lifecycle recumbent bike, a hoist stack with the articlulated arms, and a set of Selectech 'dial-up' dumbells. The dumbells are sweeeeet !! just dial any weight from 5 to 55 lbs. and pick up the dumbell, very slick.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #23

We pay $42 each for our membership here in Panama. The gym has all the usual torture machines, free weights, aerobic classes, and basketball course. THe cool thing is the treadmills have small LCD TVs so the time passes fast. Just watch a couple of sitcoms and your done. They recently started a special for $30 per month.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #24

I just renewed at Bally's - $69.03 for a year. It helps having joined in
1982 when they had built out and were begging people to join - increases
in the annual fee are limited to inflation for life.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #25

Club Fitness: $19.95/month (plus sales tax). They now have a deal where you can pay just $14.95/month.

Oh, and if you refer one person, you get 2 months free. Refer a 2nd person, get a t-shirt. Refer a 3rd person, get a 3rd month free.

They don't have a pool or a basketball court, but they have quite a few treadmills, elliptical machines, and offer spin classes for $1 each.

I have started taking a few showers there, so I'm hoping that that will help maximize my membership (although, with parental-subsidized housing, the showers are an 'indirect' benefit ).

Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been waiting for LAFitness to finish the gym.. now over 5 months past the date they said it would open...

Will be $30 per month plus taxes... but it has 45,000 sq ft.. basketball court, raquetball courts, big swimming pool, many many machines etc.. think it will be worth it for the free training courses like yoga etc..
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #27

Gym fees? We don't need no friggin' gym.

I lose less than a dozen days a year to rain. I have a treadmill for those days. I also use a set of spring chest pulls. The rest of my workout is sit-ups, push-ups and isometrics.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

One of the benefits of living on a Military Base is you get free gym membership. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, but it has the necessary stuff - cardio machines and a bunch of weights. It does not provide childcare, so I am forced to get up at the crack of dawn and be back by the time hubby leaves for work (around 7:30). At that time in the AM, it is about 90% male marines, 5% female marines and about 5% spouses (of which I am the only one 8 months pregnant - stick out like a sore thumb!).
J-Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #29

Since I own my own equipment my 'membership' is free. I have free weights, Bowflex, Elliptical and Bicycle for cross-training, and a pair of sneakers. Oh wait I think I pay $20 per year for road use in my annual car registrations. So my membership is $20 per year for unlimited use by me my wife and kid.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #30

We belong at the YMCA. The wife and I pay $84 a month - our BlueCross health plan kicks in $20 each towards the fee if each of us go at least 8 times a month - so really $44 month and an extra incentive to go.

We do Yoga, BodyFlow and BodyPump classes which are free...also use the hot tub and sauna.
I wouldn't have the discipline to do these things for an hour at a shot with out having a class to go to....the exercise stuff I bought lay unused - finally gave it away..

It's has also been a good place to socialize

They do ALOT for the community with their many programs - by being members and donating to them we feel we are helping them to do good.

My 3 kids went to their summer camps, all later became camp counselors, life guards, swim instructors...I believe the Y experience has contributed to who they are today....

Help support your Y!

Oh and what sam said..saving on the utility bills tooo...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
One of the parental responsibilities is to teach your kids to swim. It can save their lives.

Ha
True............ It is a nice place. I have a good friend that is a personal trainer and owns a health club. He said he would give me a sweetheart deal and act as my personal trainer if I joined, but no pool or programs, other than spinning...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Go for it Dude,
I was really surprised how much exercise is about doing it correctly. If you have the chance to work with a professional, it will be a great help.
And my boss does spinning, it kicks his butt! He is still sweating an hour after he finishes the class!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
One of the parental responsibilities is to teach your kids to swim. It can save their lives.
Agreed 100%.
Little Sailor (2 y.o.) is about to graduate Infant Aquatics program.
I hope two-three more weeks and than the moment of the truth (graduation test is they throw him fully clothed in the pool and he needs to get out by himself)
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
... and a set of Selectech 'dial-up' dumbells. The dumbells are sweeeeet !! just dial any weight from 5 to 55 lbs. and pick up the dumbell, very slick.
Alright, you talked me into these dumbbells. They're normally expensive, but I ordered a set from overstock for $265 and free shipping. Still expensive, but not quite as bad as retail. They arrived today, and they're perfect for my needs: a fair amount of weight in a small space.

If anybody else needs something like this, google for overstock coupons before you buy. Looks like they have a 10% coupon floating around now.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Fun to read that old thread. So Wab, I guess no hauling around construction debris anymore. And I had forgot you used to be Wabmester.

(Yes CT, I miss Bob Smith too)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

How much do you guys pay to inflict pain on yourselves?
Walking costs nearly nothing and I even found 13 cents on the ground the other day. Another 50 million pennies and I'm rich
Old 10-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Fun to read that old thread. So Wab, I guess no hauling around construction debris anymore.
Yup, a lot has changed in two years. I'm done with the heavy remodeling and demolition work, and we've sold off all the houses except for the one we live in now.

I was leaning towards gym membership for the coming winter, but I think a treadmill in the garage and those cool dial-a-weight dumbbells might do the trick.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Alright, you talked me into these dumbbells. They're normally expensive, but I ordered a set from overstock for $265 and free shipping. Still expensive, but not quite as bad as retail. They arrived today, and they're perfect for my needs: a fair amount of weight in a small space.

If anybody else needs something like this, google for overstock coupons before you buy. Looks like they have a 10% coupon floating around now.
wab, you are going to love them. They take away your excuses...Congrats. BTW - you got a great deal on them!
Old 10-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

About $180 / month for me and my wife (~$90 each) .

It's a bit ridiculous but it is actually the cheapest option in our area. We live in a 1,000 sqf flat so an in-home gym is out of the question. I think we'll continue getting screwed by the gym for as long as I'm working but once I pull the plug on the job, the gym membership likely goes with it.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Our gym costs $200 per quarter for both of us. It has all of the fitness equipment, weights, indoor pool and indoor track. I primarily use it for bad weather days as I prefer to run and cycle outside.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote