How much Hand Truck do we need?

Professional painter and friend painted our living room and dining room. Extent of lifting was to get the corner up high enough to get a slider under it. Then he and I slide everything to the middle of the room basically giving him about three feet or so around each wall to work. You get the plastic sliders for carpet and felt sided ones for hard surfaces, like hardwood floors. Plus, with sliding, it was not necessary to unload the two bookshelves and the one large display cabinet. You’d be surprised how easy it is. That doesn’t mean the initial lift is easy, but similar to getting something on a dolly, you can tilt the heavy things just enough to get the sliders under the corners. Once sliding, it is a controlled push that is really quite easy.

Sliders also work for appliances like stoves and washer/dryers. Though most of those have nylon feet so they tend to slide pretty well if you’re on tile. Slider would help you not scratch a hardwood floor.

If I was moving things say out to the garage, I’d rent a movers dolly from U-Hall. Strap it in and they move pretty well, but I’d hire some muscle for appliances. Especially the refrigerator and the washer.

+1
I've used a dolly for moving all sorts of stuff, but I wouldn't use one for moving furniture to paint a room.
Besides sliders, the use of cardboard , or small carpet pieces UPSIDE DOWN work pretty well for sliding.
Slide everything to middle of floor, cover fully with thin plastic dropsheet, and paint ceiling and walls.

Those of you who use the 4-wheel dollies...how did you get the heavy item up onto the dolly? Seems like you would have to be able to lift the whole item yourself to do that.

Some items can be tilted and the dolly can be slid underneath, and then the item can be pushed on to the center of the dolly. But it takes more than 1 person to do this,

We only used the dollies and hand cart for stuff that we were moving out of the house. We used furniture sliders for everything that remained in the house.

Back
Top Bottom