Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
^^^^^^

"If" you are correct, I guess these two copied post below would not pass the smell test either? Just keeping with the theme of the thread.
LOL it started with coupons and gift card discounts...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I don't save anything. I'm past saving, I'm retired.

Now I just blow that dough. No budget, no tracking anything.

But 7 years after I retired, I've got more dough than I started with. So spending looks OK -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We've cashed in $5400 this year in bonus earnings - mostly from his and her credit card bonus amounts that I consolidated in a Chase Sapphire Reserve stash, taking advantage of the "pay yourself back" program making any points worth a penny and a half. Building materials, Walmart, restaurants - it tickled me to buy a $600 refrigerator for the rentals with $400 worth of points.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
LOL it started with coupons and gift card discounts...
Old 10-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yeah and then you darn dough-blowers took the thread RIGHT into the weeds.
Pfft.
Dough blowers.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I know, I'm a bad influence -

But my new (36 year old) boat only cost $6800. And the slip at the marina is only 200/mo.

So I save the cost of a pickup trunk (to tow it) and a new house with a bigger driveway (to store it) Gotta be million right there!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I didn't buy a yacht, so there is a million dollars saved, right there.

Love this answer! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:20 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I earn about $2K in Credit card rewards per year, without doing much effort.

Last year I shoved some money around to banks to earn $1K, it was more effort than the Credit cards :/

I have a short list in my wallet, which CC to use to maximize the usage. pretty easy to look at as I grab a CC.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:54 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't believe in credit cards. Everything you get from them is from you, you just don't recognize it.

The same part is that I like to save money from finding good deals online. Recently someone on a different forum posted that including the phone purchase cost and the plan, they spend around $30/mo/line for their smartphone spending. I followed the same method, and my smartphone spending in the past four years was averaged $1.6/mo/line. Before that it was even cheaper because I had a flip phone with $10/year prepaid.

Once I reach the retirement age I will definitely try the gov sponsored free phone plan and see if their 'free' phone+plan is true.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Those are pretty impressive numbers. Congrats! My yearly savings are probably around $750 from credit card cash-back and signup bonuses. I have no idea what my "all in" yearly savings (including coupons, "negotiations", loyalty points/rewards) from all sources would be. But I'm quite certain they are nowhere near $6k/year.

I realized long ago that I'm the kind of person who likes to exert fairly minimal effort to get cash rewards/discounts, to the tune of maybe 5-6 hours/year. Anything more than that starts to feel like w*rk, honestly. But I get that it's a fun pastime for many folks and can be quite lucrative for those who take it seriously and devote a fair amount of time and energy to it.
Thanks. You're right, this is a fun pastime for me and I thoroughly enjoy doing it. Being retired I can certainly find the time to devote to it and honestly it isn't that much time.
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Exactly. If your saving is proportional to spending (cashback programs, CC rewards, etc.) then greater savings doesn't necessarily mean you've come out ahead. It just means you've spent more money on more stuff for a fraction less.

I prefer to use total spending as a financial metric.
Definitely used total spending as a financial metric to determine when I could retire.

That being said a huge chunk of these savings are for items I would have purchased anyway. Food, clothing, gas, electricity, water, home improvements, restaurants, etc. I just chose the credit card and portal if applicable that provides the best savings.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
I don't believe in credit cards. Everything you get from them is from you, you just don't recognize it.

The same part is that I like to save money from finding good deals online. Recently someone on a different forum posted that including the phone purchase cost and the plan, they spend around $30/mo/line for their smartphone spending. I followed the same method, and my smartphone spending in the past four years was averaged $1.6/mo/line. Before that it was even cheaper because I had a flip phone with $10/year prepaid.

Once I reach the retirement age I will definitely try the gov sponsored free phone plan and see if their 'free' phone+plan is true.

In regards to not recognizing my credit card benefits are actually from me…

I use a CC for everything. Simple 1.75% cash back. I understand this to come from retailers pocket. I pay off my CC each month. Haven’t paid interest (on anything) in >10 years.

Are you suggesting my use of a CC directly increases the cost of products I buy and if I used cash, eventually the retailer would lower their prices?

What am I missing?
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I don't track the totals by year, but in a good month I can get $1 - $2K in freebies and discounts. That was pre-pandemic, with a lot of that total being discounted or free concert, play and event tickets from seat filler subscriptions, library passes and Facebook specials.

Things I do: cash back credit cards; credit card signup points; bank bonuses; ink recycling; contests; thrift shop shopping; Freecycle type sites (including a free big screen TV and patio table); cash back portals; estate sales; contests; library (free event tickets, music downloads, streaming); annual passes for gardens, zoos, parks, museum and wineries; Groupons; entertainment.com coupons for half price dining; free and discounted ride share and public transportation passes for seniors; inexpensive activities through senior center memberships; seat filler memberships and veterans discounts.

A big one is product reviews - over $5K this year. Grocery Outlet shopping - they put on the receipt the savings over Safeway type prices and we usually get at least 50% off.
Thanks for the response. You are definitely one of my favorites to follow. I probably do 75% of your suggestions and will be looking into some of the other ones.

I've been playing the credit card rewards game for decades now but I just started this year doing bank bonuses. Already made $1,500 moving 50k around. That $1,500 took a couple of hours of my time at most.

When the pandemic is over I will definitely look into seat filler memberships.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Just bought a new truck for a little over 80k... I seriously considered buying one with more options for almost 100k so the way I see it, I save 20k on this single purchase. Paid for the difference between the new truck and my trade-in with a 1.5% cash back credit card so I saved even more.
Congrats. The beauty of savings are you create the rules. Per my rules this would not have counted as savings.

I walk into the dealership, pick out a truck and say I'm paying cash and what will my walk out price be. They say $100,000 and not a penny less. I say no way and not willing to go above $90,000. We negotiate and I get it for $92,000 out the door. In this example I would count the $8,000 as savings.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we're in the other camp...trying to remember which card to use where, when and for what is just not worth the effort involved. K.I.S.S.
It really doesn't take any time to track which card to use. For instance one of my cards pays me 5% on groceries up to one year. So I use that card for groceries only. And I know in January 2022 it stops.

In Quicken you can set a reminder to pay your bills and see all your bills listed for each month. Very easy. I then just put in the header which cc card to use that offers the most rewards. Usually the rewards earning are good for a quarter. Easy peasy.

There are many websites that makes the process so much easier.

This one tells you where to get the highest return whether for cashback, travel points, cc points or portals. https://www.cashbackmonitor.com/

This one list all the best current credit card and bank bonuses deals. Very easy to find the best deal. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/

I realize that for most even this is too much effort. But since we all have hobbies that take up time we are willing to use in place of others this is one of my hobbies.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We've cashed in $5400 this year in bonus earnings - mostly from his and her credit card bonus amounts that I consolidated in a Chase Sapphire Reserve stash, taking advantage of the "pay yourself back" program making any points worth a penny and a half. Building materials, Walmart, restaurants - it tickled me to buy a $600 refrigerator for the rentals with $400 worth of points.
Congrats. I know that feeling.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:06 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
I walk into the dealership, pick out a truck and say I'm paying cash and what will my walk out price be. They say $100,000 and not a penny less. I say no way and not willing to go above $90,000. We negotiate and I get it for $92,000 out the door. In this example I would count the $8,000 as savings.
I would say you'd be correct in counting that as a 8k saving... You were going to buy a truck and they wanted 100k... You got it for 8k less than their opening offer.... Pretty simple math... Of course there are those that would try to twist this in all sorts of ways to fit their POV... (just, noise)

Today's car market seems to be working really different to me... Chip shortages, supply chain issues, delivery delays, inflation, etc, seem to be making buying any vehicle (new or used) more expensive. When I first asked about the price of the new truck I wanted, I was told right away that they were getting a 10k premium over window sticker for that particular model on cash deals... I was planning to pay cash for the new truck and sell my current vehicle separately.. But when I told him what I "potentially" had to trade,, the salesman became very interested... And I thought cash was king. I guess they really want used cars for reselling these days,

I know what my trade was worth (or what I wanted for it) and I knew the window sticker price of the new truck... In the end I got it for an even trade, which was what I originally wanted from a $ POV... However, on the actual sales invoice, they jacked up the price of the new truck by 10k over the window sticker, but they also showed that they were allowing me 10k more on my trade than is was worth. (WTF was that for)

To make this more complicated, I wanted a particular tonneau cover for the new truck... They allowed me a 2k allowance (a handshake deal, separate from the sales invoice)... Basically I bought an after market cover, showed them the bill and they reimbursed me for the cost.... I've never seen that before either.

Anyway, after all was said and done, by my calculations I saved 10k off the initial asking price...
Old 10-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Off the top of my head:

E-Rewards surveys give me 42,000 Hilton points and 24,000 AA miles every year if I do enough surveys. (There are limits on how frequently you can redeem them.) Can't quantify, of course, till I redeem them. I did get a $300 hotel night with points this year.

$525 YTD on my Fidelity Visa. Should be over $400 this year on the Costco Visa.

$25-$50 every year in Starbucks gift cards through blood bank donations.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^^^^^^

"If" you are correct, I guess these two copied post below would not pass the smell test either? Just keeping with the theme of the thread.
Correct.
One has a cool smiley emoji and no need to comment on the intent on one of our premier jokesters @travelover.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post

Actually the cost of CC cards is on you too, even if you pay with greenbacks. It is already baked in the pricing from the get go.

As for smartphone pricing it's not apples to apples but I agree if you can buy a less pricey phone and keep it for a long time you are ahead of the game.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote